IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Music OMH review (3.5/5)Octahedron opens up more possibilities than we might have thought

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13447 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:07 PM

The Mars Volta - Octahedron

(Mercury) UK release date: 22 June 2009 Posted Image

The contrast couldn't be greater. Previous Mars Volta album The Bedlam In Goliath started as if the band were looking at their last day on Earth, and continued as a frenzied hour of guitar-led intensity.

Octahedron goes to the other extreme, beginning with an almost inaudible quiet. At least a minute passes before any sound can be properly determined. It's strangely disconcerting, as nobody gave the band permission to do "quiet", surely?!

Even more surprising is the music this ominous silence ushers in, the closest thing to a soft rock ballad the Mars Volta will ever do. For a while Cedric Bixler-Zavala sounds just like Rush vocalist Geddy Lee, until the full range of his voice becomes apparent and the melody soars in response.

Yet what The Mars Volta are able to achieve even here is something that a soft rock balladeer could never do, keeping a foreboding atmosphere throughout the album. The underlying feeling is so strong that as the tension grows, so does the impression the band are being physically restrained from rocking out. On Cotopaxi they are released, with a furious outbreak of guitars and stilted funk, featuring prodigious drumming from Thomas Pridgen.

The lyrics are more user friendly, too - but only some of the time. Since We've Been Wrong has the closest thing to a quotable couplet, its title repeated in a touching duet, but By Halo of Nembutals it's all back to normal, as Cedric sings, žWhen the earth lets you go, when the verdict is vermin, by the fork in my tongue, when you run out of sermonž.

With no saxophone on this album the sound is less jazzy - indeed, this is the record the band's lynchpin Omar Rodriguez-Lopez terms as their Žacoustic' album. With Twilight As My Guide bears him out, a gentle guitar accompaniment chosen for Cedric's restrained vocals, but this being the Mars Volta there are the necessary moments of rocking out.

In the end, Octahedron - its eight songs carefully calculated theme - opens up more possibilities than we might have thought for the Mars Volta. It shows that for the first time they really can do restraint, without compromising the overall impact of the instances where things are let rip. The next album is already in the bag, which is no surprise given Rodriguez-Lopez' formidable rates of composition, and it will be interesting to see if it continues their new-found path.

- Ben Hogwood

#2 Ramses

Ramses

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1265 posts
  • Joined 21-February 05
  • Interests:My son. Music.
  • Myspace

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:26 PM

pretty cool

#3 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13447 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:33 PM

Now, I think the Pitchfork review is the only one left... I guess they'll give it a 10 just to piss us off (it will not work, at least for me)

#4 dew

dew

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Joined 26-November 08
  • Interests:All MARS music.
  • Twitter

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:18 AM

Amazing :biggrin:

What about Kerrang review ?

#5 ArtDamage

ArtDamage

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1159 posts
  • Joined 22-September 07
  • Interests:my band: www.myspace.com/agprix<br />for fans of volta, tsoaf, circa survive, maps and atlases, fall of troy, coheed, etc.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

fuck geddy lee.

#6 Mlilly

Mlilly

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3339 posts
  • Joined 26-May 09

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:47 AM

cool interview thanks for sharing.

#7 90adZAP

90adZAP

Has a crush on Lisa Mullins

• Members
  • 7286 posts
  • Joined 17-March 07
  • Interests:Running<br />Listening to music<br />Writing music<br />Pondering the universe<br />Going to school<br />Eating food
  • Facebook

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:53 AM

I have never heard them compared so much to rush or cedric compared so much to Geddy Lee as in this album's reviews

#8 solid_moose

solid_moose

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 12-May 09

Posted 20 June 2009 - 06:41 AM

I get the impression that the reviewer hasn't listened to anything before Bedlam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users