IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Red Hot Chili Peppers (RHCP)

• Please log in to reply
1145 replies to this topic

#1141 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5185 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:26 AM

Knock me down situation:he isn't singing lead. He and Anthony are singing in unison and John was mixed louder for some reason (probably because even in 1989 he was a better singer than Anthony). There is no point for John to be doing lead vocals on rhcp song because that would be just his solo song. Listen to shadows collide with people -it was the closest John solo work got close to rhcp sound (Chad is on drums). Rick rubin once begged John to give rhcp one of his solo songs to record but John refuses (we still don't know which one but I think it was "Dying Song" or a completely unreleased one)

#1142 logos

logos

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3275 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:50 AM

Wasn’t it some song from the heroin years

#1143 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5185 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 05 April 2021 - 06:41 AM

The song was "living in hell" and it was around 1998 that Rick suggested recording it

#1144 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

I don't know why but I never even thought about John singing lead on parts of "Dosed." He absolutely kills it too. 

There is no point for John to be doing lead vocals on rhcp song because that would be just his solo song.

I was thinking the same thing, that it may just sound like a John solo song if he sang lead.  On the other hand, most of his solo stuff is pretty different from RHCP's sound. It seems like By the Way would have been the album for John to do a song totally by himself, as the sound of that album very much suits his vocals.

I hope they release the new album this year. The anticipation is killing me.

#1145 pehjott

pehjott

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 24-March 05

Posted 05 April 2021 - 07:51 PM

Body of water is also a rhcp song where John is singing dual lead with Anthony,similiar to knock me down (btw: I prefer the original mix with Johns louder vocals over the remaster anniversary long mix with Anth turned up,although live they both sounded meh)

#1146 Petra

Petra

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

It is a pretty special thing the way their voices work together, and how well they've been mixed together on the records. Was very evident when IWY came out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users