IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Einstein Music Journal - June 26th, 2008The Haunt of Volta - article/interview

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Madi

Madi

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Joined 22-June 08

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:58 AM

Haha, loved the bit about making low-budget music videos after being given $50,000 to make one, and then running off and making five, lol. But the fact that $500,000 is the norm for a single video in the industry? Shit, what a waste. Good on Omar for trying to do something about that.

"I turn in your video and you say oh, you cant have blood in it, and theres a guy smoking a cigarette in the first scene, and you cant have blahblahblahblah, but they can have women degraded at any moment, at any hour in the day, they can have women being degraded, they can have champagne poured on them, and being treated like animals, but you cant show somebody smoking a cigarette, and you cant show blood, and things that are normal to life."

I love you Omar. Why the bloody hell doesn't the rest of the music industry think like you? ...cigarette? Looked a lot like a joint to me... That video's awesome. Love it when Cedric smears blood all over his face and it starts dripping off his hair :rolleyes: Mad scientist/doctor people FTW.

Stupid record contracts restricting Omar and the music he wants to put out! I'd be in a state of constant bliss if we were getting several TMV albums PER YEAR. Until that happens, I need to do me some Omar Rodriguez-Lopez Records hunting...

i'm pretty sure he as talking about 'the widow' video, not the vids for goliath

Hmm, I was thinking of Aberinkula... *goes off to watch both and compare*

#22 Moosetrosity

Moosetrosity

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts
  • Joined 01-November 05
  • Interests:living life to the fullest and never fucking being complacent with any and everything
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:17 AM

so when does everyone think lp5 will be out...omar says this year but he can only put out one tmv album per year for universal...the other record label(i forget its name and don't feel like searching) said they were releasing an album this year from tmv or did it say omar...

#23 Metrognomes

Metrognomes

"reverse the polarity of the neutron flow."

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7483 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:18 AM

It's a Mystery.

O_O

#24 Moosetrosity

Moosetrosity

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts
  • Joined 01-November 05
  • Interests:living life to the fullest and never fucking being complacent with any and everything
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:25 AM

It's a Mystery.

O_O

well shit we need some of you fan girls to fuck omar and interogate him when he is vulnerable

#25 Metrognomes

Metrognomes

• Members
  • 7483 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:35 AM

lmao.

OPERATION: AFROFUCK :wink:

#26 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13538 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:28 AM

Infrasonic

btw here it says that they played a new 20 minute song, do you think it's the jam we've been hearing or something completely different?

#27 marionette

marionette

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1289 posts
  • Joined 25-September 06

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:49 AM

fuck omar for not wanting to EVER put out those solo albums he keeps talking about.
i mean i love his music to death but what a fucking dick-move.

just release them or dont fucking tell us about them.
fucking asshole.

#28 Metrognomes

Metrognomes

• Members
  • 7483 posts
  • Joined 19-March 07

Posted 27 June 2008 - 04:57 AM

Infrasonic

btw here it says that they played a new 20 minute song, do you think it's the jam we've been hearing or something completely different?

could it be?

:blink:

#29 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:08 PM

^ why does it matter what its called? they are all omar albums.

but in the end he did decide that The Bedlam in Goliath was going to be the Mars Volta and not Calibration, right?

#30 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13538 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:44 PM

he already said that TMV albums are the ones that develop into something deeper and more interesting

#31 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:14 PM

Interesting interview to read back on. Was browsing through the Birth of a Ghost thread (been loving that record lately and wondering where the doc is) and saw this linked.

What Omar says about the label not letting them put out more than one record a year, and how he makes a TMV record written and produced by him + Cedric and therefore it's TMV but he's forced to release it as a ORL album. It pretty much confirms that Cryptomnesia would have been released under Mars Volta's name if they had a contract that allowed more than one a year. Given the time period of the article, and what he says specifically, I don't see how anyone can really argue that point.

Also, what he says about the label giving him more money and time to focus on making a batch of songs more complete. That kind of explains why Xenophanes sounds the way it does versus his other work at the time. Cuz Xeno sounds like more money went into the recording/production that's for sure.

#32 EchoPlex

EchoPlex

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts
  • Joined 05-February 18

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:01 PM

The chronology seems accurate, they were recording the Crypto vocals during that tour leg, the new acoustic-based record was obviously Octa and "six, a more upbeat, aggressive record" probably Xenophanes.

"an all-orchestral record which was all string arrangements"

I've always been wondering about those string compositions on Calibration and their possible connection to TMV's Soothsayer. Omar said about the latter that the classical instruments were recorded in Canada. Maybe it's possible to reach out to some of the musicians who played on that and find out if they remember something from those sessions? There's almost no information about that.

Those other ones are obscure, the ambient record could be Despair.

#33 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 19 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

and sometimes I just need money

See:

Despair

#34 Shoko Asahara

Shoko Asahara

神の子羊

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Joined 29-November 08

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:43 AM

love the days when we became aware of new Omar records solely via their unexplained and sudden appearance in Dutch webshops

#35 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3955 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:30 PM

I dont think they'd release crypto as a tmv album because its too short and it doesnt feature the actual band members of TMV at that time (only juan, cedric and omar). Crypto is too experimental and too short to be a tmv album

#36 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4549 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

O says he recorded eleven albums that year alone, so we can't really be sure which album is which, can we?

#37 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:48 PM

It's not too short. It's normal length. Just shorter than the others. Octahedron was too at the time of release. Length doesn't determine whether its TMV or not. Also, three of its members at the time were there. It was made when they didn't have a new drummer, and Cedric even said it's pretty much a TMV album without Marcel, Thomas and Ikey (3 people who weren't always a part of the band. Meaning, without them you can still call something Mars Volta).

Going by what Omar said in this interview, it's produced by him, written by him, and Cedric sings on it...at a time when Volta was their band. So it's a Mars Volta album. But the label wouldn't allow more than one every 18 months, hence the weird slapped on "El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez". He says it straight out that if the label allowed multiple records a year, if Cedric was the singer of his music, it would be released under the name.

Too experimental? Have you heard Amputechture? Lol.

I also remember a video interview from the time they were finishing up Crypto and Octa vocals. Omar and Cedric are asked if they're working on new music. Cedric is like "yeah a lot of new stuff, but it's up to the label if they want to release it all or not".

Cryptomnesia's process was exactly the same as TMV when active.

#38 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

O says he recorded eleven albums that year alone, so we can't really be sure which album is which, can we?

I don't get your question. He was talking about solo albums.

#39 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4549 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:08 PM

I don't get your question. He was talking about solo albums.

Seriously? The main point of the interview is that he doesn't differentiate between Volta and solo work. The only difference I would imagine is the Volta stuff, when it's decided upon, might get re-recorded in a better, more professional manner. 

#40 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2846 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:55 PM

He says he takes from solo records and takes the best of the best, then refines them once the label gives him more money to toy with. And sometimes drops songs if they don't fit the concept of that particular record, or simply turns that song into a new version that will fit the concept. That's well known by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users