IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Announcing The Mars Volta Wiki!and we need your help!

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#41 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:25 AM

FO REALZ

Lars Stalfors
Dude with a laptop

hahaha

Yea as you can see some areas are SPARSE. We need people to actually make entries. Get creative with them.

#42 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7543 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:12 AM

Juan Alderete:
An awesome bassist!

:biggrin:

#43 little_carlos

little_carlos

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Joined 30-March 04

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:25 PM

Just, good on you for doing this mate. Cool stuff.

#44 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:55 PM

So I am having my exams in about a week, which mean I can get down to two interviews per day... Post Spanish articles here, especially ones with valuable info in it, or smth that wasn't discussed much. We can also use some of their interview answers in the "Quotes" section, instead of translating the same old same all over again. I think I'll collect interesting quotes today from the band members, as much as i can find.

#45 J808BIT

J808BIT

I SMOKE CRACK

• Members
  • 10428 posts
  • Joined 21-February 08
  • Interests:cocaine.
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

i started working on te page for crypto last night, but since it was like 4 in the morning, i kinda said fuck it. but i'll do some work on this. i'll do what i can.

#46 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

http://www.themarble...rs_Volta:_Tours

If anyone has time to help format this. It is copied from the real wiki currently. Each show will hopefully have its own page and link to their TMS counterpart

#47 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:27 PM

Mataxia is doing a great job trying to make pages for songs that don't have official lyrics. If anyone wants to take a stab at the spanish lyrics that'd be invaluable.

And a fucking gold star to whoever finished cleaning the tour page. Looks awesome!

If anyone has something to comment on for that show create a page for that show ( by putting a [[]] around the show) go for it! That is one of the big goals of our wiki

#48 Caba

Caba

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 03-December 08
  • Facebook

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:50 AM

Me, Dante, TDs, Joshua and Caba can work on the articles. Anyone else who speaks Spanish - sign up here- so we can form the units.

Should I begin searching for old articles?

I'm definitely interested in this, anything you want to translate, i'm here to help :D

yeh man, we down fo' sho'

#49 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 19 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

I'd like to make pages for stuff that is tough to google; like a page dedicated to detailing the vast and complicated history of drummers in TMV. Obviously such a thing would be a little "un-wiki" like, because it would necessarily include some hearsay and opinions, but it's the sort of thing it would be nice to have in one place.

Maybe list each drummer in chronological order, and fill in at least the following:
- circumstances under which they joined the band, anecdotes, etc...
- comments on playing style, and any quotes we can find from interviews regarding their style and participation in the creative process
- all the Omar side projects they played in
- circumstances under which they left the band

What do you think? Worthwhile, or a waste of time?

#50 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 19 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

I say yes.

#51 LouisGilbrook

LouisGilbrook

oh..

• Members
  • 5599 posts
  • Joined 27-November 08
  • Interests:You.

Posted 19 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Definitely

#52 wariotaskforce

wariotaskforce

funposter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2653 posts
  • Joined 24-July 10
  • Interests:thimble dick

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:45 PM

It turns out that Omar is more generous with Latin interviewers. Check this out:

FR: The first shoot from the De-Loused In The Comatorium, the video for Inertiatic, was recently aired on MTV and Fused TV. Do you have plans on shooting and releasing another video?

TMV: video for “Drunkship of Lanterns”...directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky

I would shit.

whole movie about the whole album

EVERYONE WOULD SHIT.

#53 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:frusciante fan :)
  • Twitter

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

(...) And a fucking gold star to whoever finished cleaning the tour page. Looks awesome!

If anyone has something to comment on for that show create a page for that show ( by putting a [[]] around the show) go for it! That is one of the big goals of our wiki

So this is exactly what I have done, I created a page for a show I attended and so far added a review I wrote back then here at the Comatorium. Furthermore I tested internal and external links and anchors.

What are your opinions? What I wrote here in the forum certainly has not the objective style we all know from Wikipedia. But if the main idea of the Mars Volta Wiki is to provide information that is "buried" in the Comatorium already, is this an appropriate way? Of course I would be able to write an objective article, but the thing is that would be much more work - not just for me, but for a lot of people who wrote reviews of a show, because most of them are personal opinions and not just facts. And if you listed just facts, at least the shows of a tour leg would be reduced to the setlist and maybe how long a certain jam was :unsure:

#54 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:22 PM

(...) And a fucking gold star to whoever finished cleaning the tour page. Looks awesome!

So this is exactly what I have done, I created a page for a show I attended and so far added a review I wrote back then here at the Comatorium. Furthermore I tested internal and external links and anchors.

What are your opinions? What I wrote here in the forum certainly has not the objective style we all know from Wikipedia. But if the main idea of the Mars Volta Wiki is to provide information that is "buried" in the Comatorium already, is this an appropriate way? Of course I would be able to write an objective article, but the thing is that would be much more work - not just for me, but for a lot of people who wrote reviews of a show, because most of them are personal opinions and not just facts. And if you listed just facts, at least the shows of a tour leg would be reduced to the setlist and maybe how long a certain jam was :unsure:

Nice! This is exactly what I'd hope to find in a Volta wiki, and it does illustrate an important difference between what we're doing and wikipedia.

Opinions are perfect for describing a show. The only "facts" I'd like to see is if the reviewer can point out specific things to listen for that make that show unique, like Cedric's vocal improvs, or stuff like the "Can jam" to open Drunkship in Vienna '03, some witty stage banter, or Omar sneaking in the FTM riff during a jam, etc...

Wikipedia has limitations; here we are allowed to go beyond them.

I'd like to see stuff like Cedric's covers, or Bedlam drops from Billboard #3 to #51 after one week, or those awesome jam discussion threads that I am searching for right now and cannot find. Hardcore detailed stuff that we would find interesting that the wikicops would delete right away.

#55 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Twitter

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:01 PM

(...) Wikipedia has limitations; here we are allowed to go beyond them. (...)

Thank you for the response, hopefully now some more people will add reviews they wrote here at the Coma. And I like the examples you are giving, sounds like the Volta Wiki will astonish its readers :biggrin:

What about show reviews of Coma members that don't visit the forum much/any more? There's nearly no chance they would "donate" their review to the Mars Volta Wiki. So I would propose to use a review (or parts of it) nevertheless and mention the author (Coma user name) and link to the topic here, just like the references in the "real" Wikipedia. What do you think?

(...) or those awesome jam discussion threads that I am searching for right now and cannot find (...)

I have listed some links to topics that I found interesting when they were active, so now they might help:

Live Jams Thread, last updated: June 30th 2008

Looking for OCTAHEDRON songs in '08 jams

Old Live TMV Jams on Old Money

What are the covers Cedric sings during TMV jams?

New Jams into New Songs

Is there any room for improv on TBIG?

Jams/Songs into new ones..., What was old is now new

Structured Parts V 2.0, New material in the live show....

Structured live jams during FTM era touring..., ...Amputechture bound?

Jams, And Previous Material on Amputechture

#56 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

I have listed some links to topics that I found interesting when they were active, so now they might help:

Structured live jams during FTM era touring..., ...Amputechture bound?

Yeah, I don't think there could be any complaints as long as proper attribution is given. The reviews were posted to a public forum, after all...

And that ^^^^^ thread is one of the threads I was looking for! Thanks! That Stalktheground11 guy was before my time, but he and flip both seemed to have a lot of insight in to the live performances.

#57 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5623 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:12 PM

awesome write up on the belgium show

#58 a doubt

a doubt

Cassandra Geminni

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Twitter

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

(...) And that ^^^^^ thread is one of the threads I was looking for! Thanks! That Stalktheground11 guy was before my time, but he and flip both seemed to have a lot of insight in to the live performances.

Absolutely! You should ask Zaid to write a chapter on jams and the progression of songs :smile:

awesome write up on the belgium show

Thank you. I added another show page, this time I also tried to use a picture, but the thumbnail of it doesn't work. I've described the problem on the talk page at the Volta Wiki. Any help is appreciated.

#59 alfonsom4

alfonsom4

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Joined 05-May 04

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Me, Dante, TDs, Joshua and Caba can work on the articles. Anyone else who speaks Spanish - sign up here- so we can form the units.

Should I begin searching for old articles?

dude we are from the mars volta mexico blogspot, facebook, my space and twitter

we can help with this

Ery Montero erymontero@gmail.com

Tetris tetris_volta@hotmail.com

Poncho alfonsom4@hotmail.com

The Mars Volta México themarsvolta.mexico@hotmail.com

If you need need any help contact us

http://themarsvoltam...o.blogspot.com/

#60 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:59 PM

this time I also tried to use a picture, but the thumbnail of it doesn't work. I've described the problem on the talk page at the Volta Wiki. Any help is appreciated.

I'll get on that tomorrow; looks like something that can be fixed pretty quickly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users