IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

>>>>Mike Patton<<<<best band/project?

• Please log in to reply
387 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite/best Mike Patton stuff? (175 member(s) have cast votes)

Patton Projects

1. Mike Patton (solo) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Faith No More (23 votes [13.14%])

Percentage of vote: 13.14%

3. Tomahawk (9 votes [5.14%])

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

4. Fant├┤mas (25 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

5. Peeping Tom (3 votes [1.71%])

Percentage of vote: 1.71%

6. Mr. Bungle (78 votes [44.57%])

Percentage of vote: 44.57%

7. John Zorn (7 votes [4.00%])

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

8. Lovage (5 votes [2.86%])

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

9. Kaada/Patton (4 votes [2.29%])

Percentage of vote: 2.29%

10. Patton and The X-Ecutioners (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Patton and Merzbow (1 votes [0.57%])

Percentage of vote: 0.57%

12. The Dillinger Escape Plan with Mike Patton (20 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

Well, the main problem with Zorn is that the man has done so incredibily much, in a great variety of genres. So the main thing is: what kind of music has your interest? If it's extreme stuff like Astronome your after, you should check out Naked city and Painkiller. The first is a mix of punk, death metal, freejazz and all kinds of popular music. Extremely postmodern: chaotic and humoristic. Painkiller is like a more intense, humorless verion of it.
But Zorn has also done a lot of music with a lot more focus on melody. First, there is Filmworks, a series of cinematic tune by Zorn. He has written some classical pieces as well, wich fall mainly in the 20'th century modern composing tradition. Think Varese, Boulez, Sch÷nberg.
The Zorn project I enjoy the most is Masada, Zorn's exploration of his Jewish roots. Initially it started as a quartet playing bebop/freejazz based upon Klezmer melodies (now known as accoustic Masada). Later Zorn has expanded the Masada family with a string trio (playing the tunes in a chamber music tradition), a rock band (electric Masda, check out there album At the mountains of Madness! great stuff, like a jewish version of Bitches Brew on speed) and lately he has written a second Masada songbook, called Book of Angels, wich are played by a different ensemble on each album.
And this is just a small take out of the man's oeuvre. So you will just have to explore for yourself. You'll love some stuff, hate other stuff. This website is a handy guide in the realm of Zorn. Enjoy!

by the way, what is Womba?

wow what a wonderfully detailed reply, thank you! I'd quite like to hear a range of stuff really, just to get a feel for everything he's done. I'm aware that he's done a lot, which is one of the reasons I asked for recommendations. Not too struck with the idea of the classical pieces (I don't have much knowledge of modern classical composition, but I've played in a couple of orchestras etc which have done them and they never really appealed to me. Who knows though, maybe listening is different to playing and it might be interesting to be on the other side of it, so to speak)

I'm really behind on my musical theory, I've played a couple of instruments for about 10 years (plus another 2 years where I've barely touched them sadly, thanks to being at uni and not having as much access, especially my piano) but towards the end I had a lot of school commitments amongst other things so I mainly just focused on learning to play rather than all the theory behind it as well, different genres and techniques and so on. sigh. that's my fancy way of saying 'it'll probably all go over my head', in case you hadn't worked that out already :tongue: but hey, i'll look into it. thanks again.

womba is...the wombatorium.

mr tooth: thank you, i will search for that as well.

#62 who_are_you?

who_are_you?

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3412 posts
  • Joined 20-January 07

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

I voted for the only album I've ever heard of his, but this list is quite concise and I'll check the other ones out eventually.

#63 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:35 PM

i really like Astronome. Just thought I'd say that. I'm not even sure why I like it, but I do. It's good.

#64 Guest_tohereknowswhen._*

Guest_tohereknowswhen._*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 27 February 2007 - 02:30 PM

i really like Astronome. Just thought I'd say that. I'm not even sure why I like it, but I do. It's good.

Agreed, its great. Not sure how Crowley fits into it, but still...

Does anyone know which of Zorns other albums are this kinda of free weird metal?

#65 Myrmecophile

Myrmecophile

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4049 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06
  • Interests:the floor; creating physical space; smoothed concrete; slight angles; profound superficiality; the headlight warning tone from a 1993 Ford Mondeo; detail; Baroque; debate; the mythology of the na├»f; neckerchiefs...etc

Posted 27 February 2007 - 10:10 PM

Agreed, its great. Not sure how Crowley fits into it, but still...

Does anyone know which of Zorns other albums are this kinda of free weird metal?

Moonchild.

#66 SquirrelMe

SquirrelMe

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4498 posts
  • Joined 25-September 05
  • Interests:Food... mmm.
  • Myspace

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:30 AM

I can't believe how little love there is for Lovage. I ADORE Lovage. I like Peeping Tom. I can listen to Mr. Bungle and Fantomas. I could care less about the rest.

#67 Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04
  • Interests:blahplayingbassandlisteningtomusicmasturbating
  • Myspace

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:47 AM

I can't believe how little love there is for Lovage. I ADORE Lovage. I like Peeping Tom. I can listen to Mr. Bungle and Fantomas. I could care less about the rest.

I liked the Lovage cd a lot as well. I wish there were more actual songs though. I think the skits and interludes are annoying.

#68 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • 6219 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 28 February 2007 - 10:56 AM

He's playing at least one show at the end of May with Fennesz, that should prove to be interesting.

#69 Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3239 posts
  • Joined 25-March 06

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:20 PM

I liked the Lovage cd a lot as well. I wish there were more actual songs though. I think the skits and interludes are annoying.

There's gonna be a Lovage follow up CD with Patton and the Automator. They don't know ig Jennifer will come back.

#70 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:17 PM

i wish i lived in america sometimes, those guys get all the fun

#71 Mopho

Mopho

peanut butter and jaaaaammm!!

• Members
  • 6167 posts
  • Joined 26-October 06

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:00 PM

Mr Bungle - S/T is still where it's at imo.
Fuck I love that album.

#72 Siddhis

Siddhis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
  • Interests:girls that are minors, little azn boys that look like girls that are minors

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:32 AM

i get to see peeping tom live in april

i'm pretty pumped for that

#73 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 01 March 2007 - 01:48 AM

i'm still waiting for european dates...it was so fucking good last time, i'm sure it wouldn't be as good the second time around because of expectations and all that, but still. better come to the UK or else.

#74 Brandon B.

Brandon B.

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04
  • Interests:blahplayingbassandlisteningtomusicmasturbating
  • Myspace

Posted 01 March 2007 - 02:36 AM

There's gonna be a Lovage follow up CD with Patton and the Automator. They don't know ig Jennifer will come back.

Yeah I heard about that. I liked Jennifer on the cd a lot, so I will sort of miss her. I was planning on checking out Elysian Fields, but I forgot all about it. Though my favorite Lovage song is Anger Management, and that's just Patton singing anyways.

#75 TheCabface

TheCabface

Raptors live in a world where pants have no meaning.

• Members
  • 17987 posts
  • Joined 03-March 05
  • Interests:loling, s'ing d.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:35 AM

I really like Romances, some great moments on that album.

#76 Siddhis

Siddhis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts
  • Joined 13-December 03
  • Interests:girls that are minors, little azn boys that look like girls that are minors

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:50 AM

I really like Romances, some great moments on that album.

i like "Romances" too, but Kaada's "Music for Moviebikers" fucking kills it. srsly.

#77 TheCabface

TheCabface

Raptors live in a world where pants have no meaning.

• Members
  • 17987 posts
  • Joined 03-March 05
  • Interests:loling, s'ing d.

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:53 AM

I've been meaning to check out some of Kaada's other projects.

#78 happyphantom

happyphantom

techno allah

• Members
  • 9167 posts
  • Joined 02-December 05

Posted 01 March 2007 - 03:40 PM

i'm totally unfamiliar with lovage. i'll have to look into that.

well, despite the fact that shorty didn't even think it was worth keeping it on his computer, i bought california anyway because i was excited, in manchester, hadn't bought a cd in an age, it was on sale and i just felt i needed to have it because it's a third of the mr bungle albums. i've given it a couple of listens and ok, it's not the sort of thing i could listen to over and over again, unlike the self titles or disco volante, but i do like sweet charity, retrovertigo (dunn is the man) and goodbye sober day. so far. it was surprisingly un-weird to hear mr bungle do ballady type songs, but then i get annoyed by people (well, especially music journos really) going 'omg this is sooooooooo different and crazy who would've expected it it's like mr bungle stopped taking acid and smoked a joint instead'.

it's a shame they had to split up because trey spruance was jealous of mike's fame. i mean ok i don't know what went on, obviously, but if it was specifically spruance then i am tempted to think that he was just being jealous rather than patton being a dick about it, if that makes sense or if it matters at all. although seeing as trey wrote so much stuff for them i can kind of see why he would be pissed off. i mean i wouldn't have liked mr bungle to go on forever, that would be too much, but i wouldn't have minded seeing them live (from a distance anyway, having seen some of their earlier live shows on youtube). ok i'm just talking to myself now.

also, there is a video on youtube of them covering what the world needs now, and for some reason i'm oddly attracted to trevor dunn in that video, and NO OTHER. not even the other one i saw of the same gig. i don't know why.

#79 Shao Kahn

Shao Kahn

• Members
  • 5658 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:the precious
  • Myspace

Posted 01 March 2007 - 05:24 PM

california is probably my favorite album from them, and definitely changed what i listen to

#80 Spazzy Gumbo

Spazzy Gumbo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Joined 06-February 05
  • Interests:Poop. Monkeys. Cheese. Crossing the road. Belgium. Very small avenues. Crinkly things. Soot. Apricots. Artichokes. Square watermelons. Looking left. Farting. Kicking people. Asia Carrera

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:33 PM

California is awesome. I love the way they performed thos songs live. If you can get the bootleg from the Snowcore tour or the Bizarre festival where the open with What The World Needs now and play the excellent medley of Travolta and Lauren Hill's Doo Wop That Thing, the performances of Air Conditioned Nightmare and None Of Them Knew They Were Robots are much better than they are on cd. In fact so is Goodbye Sober Day and Vanity Fair.

Although the best bit of that bootleg is the Merry Go Bye Bye, Raging Wrath Of The Easter Bunny Medley. Amazing performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users