IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

tell us your music journey

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

martin luther you're an angel

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

this might have been done before but seriously who cares what a bunch of people from history times have to say. i want to know what the people here now have to say about their music upbringing/favourite artists evolution over the years. how did it all begin? did it end with volta?

mine goes something like...

michael jackson>nirvana>tool>the mars volta>cocorosie

michael jackson was the first artist i remember liking, my parents had his records and i even had the moonwalker game lol. then my older cousin lent me his copy of nirvana's incesticide, that was my first real exposure to rock music and the song sliver really resonated with me being so young. in utero was the first album i ever bought...i know. went a few years of nirvana being my favourite band and then i discovered tool. the video for schism actually scared me a little, i hated it. but the video for parabola really caught my attention, it just looked and sounded so i dunno psychedelic. i bought lateralus and the rest of their records and at the time i thought that was as far out as music could go and there was no topping it (most tool fans don't grow out of that thinking it would seem). then i came across this band called the mars volta...don't think i have to talk too much about them. but needless to say they blew tool out of the water completely, way more colorful, chaotic, rhythmic...well you already know. then through my volta fandom got into weird shit of course and cocorosie ended up becoming my favourite band. it's hard to explain but their music makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. it's very pure and honest, plus they really don't give a fuck what anyone thinks and i love that. this is my punk rock. fuck you!

well i showed you mine...

#2 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Interests:art, literature, music, philosophy, spirituality
  • Facebook

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:12 AM

Well, I absorbed my dad’s music as a kid. He had relatively eclectic taste — folk, jazz, flamenco, classical, calypso, early electronic (Wendy Carlos et al), some pop and rock — and I pretty much ruined his record collection scratching everything up as a kid. My mom liked musicals, and I fell head over heels in love with Man of La Mancha, Hair, and Jesus Christ Superstar. Not just the music, but Don Quixote, hippies, Jesus… the themes, man! LOL! My first foray into music myself was the teeny-bop bubblegum crap in the early 70s and AM hit radio kinda stuff — “Wildfire,” “Horse with No Name,” Jackson 5, The Osmonds, etc. All the crap kids now in their early fifties thought was great before they knew any better.

Then, KISS. I became downright obsessed with KISS right around the time Destroyer came out, and held on through Love Gun, then lost all interest. Recently relistened to their catalog and walked away impressed that my parents hadn’t freaked the hell out and forbid me to listen to this stuff, cuz listening now with adult ears to all the serious adult themes and outright misogyny that flew right over my head as a kid, I’d be pretty horrified if my ten year old daughter were listening to this stuff! Haha!

After that, my dad had gotten the Beatles’ “Red” and “Blue” anthology albums and I fell in love with them, and shortly thereafter discovered The Who, Small Faces, and The Kinks, who to this day are strong favorites.

In high school, it was The Jam, The Clash, Patti Smith, The Ramones, Sex Pistols.

In college, Ian Dury, The Style Council, The Smiths, Sinead O’Connor, The Roches, Kate Bush, Suzanne Vega, Michelle Shocked, Tracy Chapman, Indigo Girls, RHCP, XTC, Frusciante, etc., etc., etc.

Kinda lost track of new music at some point and just started listening to new projects by artists I already liked, and by way of Frusciante stumbled on TMV, and that was my first major new musical love in ages. Got really obsessed on the forums, and my time here ran through a difficult period of my life, so i kinda soured on the site eventually and, hell, on rock in general.

Nowadays, I typically listen to podcasts, but when I do listen to music, it’s usually non-Western folk or sacred music of one sort or another.

#3 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

AWESOME, thanks for sharing...and frusciante rules! niandra lades is one of my all time favourite albums, there's something very special about it. i have to admit i've lost track of new music for the most part too, also soured on rock quite a bit. i prefer something a bit more wholesome these days

and yes i see the irony of my journey going from michael jackson to cocorosie. even if no one else does lol

#4 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12817 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:48 AM

High school was mostly Linkin Park / Red Hot Chili Peppers / Incubus. College was The Mars Volta, progressive and experimental rock (everything from classic prog to Tera Melos to Primus to Kayo Dot) and Mastodon which led me to progressive metal which is where I have been since 2012/3 when The Mars Volta broke up and Omar hadn't put anything memorable in a long time so I started going back to my back catalog of downloaded music and I decided to give a second try to Tesseract, I have been on a spiral of dozens of hardcore and progressive metal bands since then, I've grown tolerant to most forms of harsh vocals, except maybe textbook death metal.

#5 The Nephilim

The Nephilim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2086 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

Well I grew up in a Mormon household, so you can imagine my parents weren't bringing much to the table in terms of musical legacy. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir was seriously the cornerstone, along with like...corny Christmas music like Mannheim Steamroller and Transsiberian Orchestra, and maybe a couple classical albums. Oh god, I remember my mom got the Shrek soundtrack for my sisters and I haha. I liked the Smash Mouth song and wanted to get their album but my mom wouldn't let me cause one of the songs had the word 'stoned' in the title. Good god. In hindsight, thanks Mom!

Anyway, I got a walkman/FM radio when I was like...10? I just listened to the local rock station, so it was a lot of garbage. We're talking Staind, Nickleback, Fuel, trash like that...Around this time, my friends and I got into pop-punk, like Blink 182, New Found Glory, and Sum 41. Their older brothers were all skaters and into the whole pop-punk/ska thing that was going on in the early 00's, so we emulated them and burned all their CD's. The first CD I bought was Morning View by Incubus. My friend and I split it cause we each only had like $5. I remember Incubus being a big deal for us; that was the first band I got into their whole discography. 

I think the first band I was really obsessed with was AFI. I heard The Leaving Song Pt. II on the radio and fell in love. Picked up Sing the Sorrow, The Art of Drowning, and Black Sails in the Sunset, and pretty much just listened to AFI for a while haha. I must have been insufferable. They were my first real concert too. Dillinger Escape Plan opened and scared the shit out of my 15 year old Mormon self haha. Not gonna lie, I still have a huge soft spot for AFI. Saw them last month and it was fun as shit.

My friends and I got pretty big into Opeth, Coheed, and The Fall of Troy in high school too. 

Anyway, I discovered Volta through the AFI message board. This was right when Amputechture leaked, people were talking about it and it sounded interesting. I checked out Deloused first and it blew my mind. Volta led to Omar solo led to At the Drive-in, and I discovered a bunch of stuff through the Coma. Hella, Tera Melos, Tool, Portugal, Isis, Radiohead, Godspeed, Circa Survive. I discovered tons of stuff through the Volta community; I got into Brand New through the discussion on the Pwna when Daisy came out. Omar collabing with Sargent House turned me on to a bunch of cool stuff going on there: Emma Ruth Rundle, Deafheaven, Russian Circles, RX Bandits, etc.

After that it's been kind of a diaspora, harder to pick out general trends. Sorry for the novel. Cool thread. 

#6 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9673 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:05 AM

In the late nineties, when i was like 10 years old, i listened to nirvana rhcp and tool. Only these three bands. Influence of older brothers of some of my school friends.

Then somehow got into a Bob Marley period, no idea how haha. I think i just needed a new identity. Started wearing Bob Marley shirts and these wrist bands with weed plants on them long before i knew what weed was.

Around the age of 14 i discovered classic rock slowly working towards prog. Listened to Deep purple a lot. Then led zep, king crimson, yes, elp and such like stuff. Then had a huge pink floyd chapter of a few years. Pink floyd only and nothing else.

Moved out into my own place at age 17 and decided to strengthen my knowledge of the psychedelic era. Bought everything by Hendrix, the who, the doors, the Beatles, and then Bob Dylan. After that miles Davis. Eclectic times.

Met the gf i then had for seven years when i was 18 and she introduced me to orl and tmv. Omar was releasing more and more at that time so it was a good time to be a fan. The same gf also Got me back into rhcp and introduced me to all jf stuff. Got obsessed with orl and jf for a while And then somehow got into a lengthy Zappa episode, working through his whole discography.

Around 2010 or so i finally decided to get back into some music of my teenage years i had mostly ignored at the time. This is how i finally came to appreciate system of a down, nin, marilyn manson, qotsa, mastodon. More recently i discovered Brian Jonestown massacre and dandy Warhols.

These days i have all orl and related stuff, all jf and his rhcp albums, all Brian Jonestown massacre and all dandy Warhols albums on my phone and listen to all of it on repeat all the time

#7 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:27 AM

good stuff carl and nephilim i always wondered if you were mormon what being in utah and all, guess there aren't many good mormon bands around?

ohh and i never liked brand new

#8 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4749 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

As a kid we had AM radio, more specifically WLS out of Chicago. That's primarily what we listened to and every now and then I'd have a favorite song and I'd go to the record store and buy the 45 single. Some records I remember buying as a kid were (in no specific order)
Hocus Pocus by Focus (lol, go give it a listen if you're not familiar)
Take a Walk on the Wild Side Lou Reed
Rubber Bullitts
Tubular Bells
Rocky Mountain High John Denver
Crocodile Rock
Goodbye Yellow Brick Roac both by Elton John
Angie The Rolling Stones

Nothing too major. Music was mostly background noise as we were doing other things. Started to listen to FM radio in high school.

Then one day when I was in highschhol a friend and I went out for a ride with another acquaintance to smoke some bowls of "Panama Red" lol. We were basically newbie smokers so needless to say we got stoned out of our minds. I'll never forget, it was during a major snowstorm and here we are driving around in it. I was sitting in the backseat and the music was turned up real loud so I was in my own little world. The music was Led Zeppelin, first album, first side (it was probably an 8 track tape, lol). I was completely blown away. Dazed and Confused, dazed and confused me and mesmerized me and I was hooked. Became a HUGE! HUGE Led Zeppelin fan for many years. Of course I listened to all the music of the 70s, Pink Floyd and Rush and Yes being particular faves. I was into more prog rocky stuff but also liked stuff liked bubble gummy stuff like Cheap Trick.

The 80s were pretty meh for me. I like Billy Idol, fucking lol. 90s I liked a lot of stuff, 90s was like a second 70s there were so many great artists. I liked Nirvana, Alice in Chains, RATM, Janes Addiction, Tool etc.

The band I really fell in love with was in the early 2000s... System of a Down. Saw them in concert a few times etc. but nothing too major until one day, by chance, I heard this band called The Mars Volta and their song The Widow on the radio. Completely lost my mind for many many years, fell down the rabbit hole etc...

#9 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9673 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

Scorps, did you know i received my training as a drummer from the drummer of focus, from when i was 12 till i was 16? :-D

#10 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4749 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Haha, hurray.

Do you play keyboards now though?

#11 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9673 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Both! Played keys since age 5, drums since age 12, singing since age 15 or so

#12 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

my drum teacher really liked nina simone and always tried to get me into jazz, he thought if i heard this lame jazz cover of come as you are that would perhaps change things but i was all like whatever bitch i just want to smash shit. although now i do really love the music of nina simone so there's that

#13 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 06 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

also reading this thread is reminding me of some of the bands i liked in my intial stages. rhcp and weezer of course, ratm i forgot i liked them...fuck the police! atdi after seeing a live performance of one armed scissor, tried to get my friends into them but they said the singer sounded like a girl!

and primus!!! i saw the video for wynona's big brown beaver (i didn't know what the song was called or about lol) and bought the first primus cd i could find which was sailing the seas of cheese. that was probably the second album i bought, one of the first at least. i hated it. but i couldn't be bothered to return it so i thought i'd better give it a proper chance and yeah then i ended up liking primus who suck btw

#14 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:21 PM

Only going to post about the 80's atm (pre-Pearl Jam)  ...too much shit to sort out in the 90's ( including a lot of terrible pop punk)

michael jackson was the first artist i remember liking, my parents had his records and i even had the moonwalker game lol.

same here...watched the entire Thriller video when I was like 4 and it scared the shit out of me....for like 20 minutes...then I wanted to watch it all over again!

My dad had Thriller on vinyl  and the Bad album was one of the first cassette tapes I bought.

The other records my dad had that I loved listening to were Led Zep's The Song Remains the Same, Neil Young, & Aerosmith...besides the usual classic rock this record was one I loved listening to:

R-166245-1395468127-5988.jpeg.jpg

Once I was able to earn an allowance at 5 or 6 I saved all of my $ to buy cassette tapes...

1st tape I ever bought:

R-7428643-1441336913-7958.jpeg.jpg

these are the other tapes I remember buying and listening to until they wore out:

R-3676659-1339955937-4873.jpeg.jpg

$_1.JPG

537fd2237b26c_301793n.jpg

Part 2 of my journey began in the late 80's when my cousin turned me onto Hip Hop

R-1788966-1311434952.jpeg.jpg

R-3603981-1405597309-8399.jpeg.jpg

R-1288834-1288855743.jpeg.jpg

R-980403-1310880402.jpeg.jpg

#15 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Anyone here ever join a music club like this?

Columbia-House-Ad.jpg

I got 6 free ones w/ the one I joined when I decided to move on from tapes to CDs

Pearl Jam - Ten

Green Day - Dookie

Nirvana - Nevermind

Weezer - Blue Album

Collective Soul - Hints, Allegations, & Things Left Unsaid

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

#16 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:59 PM

Loving this thread idea, I'll report later on for a developped timeline.

Noctournicunt 2020

#17 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9673 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

How old are you cochese?

#18 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

that's some good taste cochese. i forgot about smashing pumpkins  :smile:

#19 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

How old are you cochese?

http://www.birthdayjams.com/

#20 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

I think the first band I was really obsessed with was AFI. I heard The Leaving Song Pt. II on the radio and fell in love. Picked up Sing the Sorrow, The Art of Drowning, and Black Sails in the Sunset, and pretty much just listened to AFI for a while haha. I must have been insufferable. They were my first real concert too. Dillinger Escape Plan opened and scared the shit out of my 15 year old Mormon self haha. Not gonna lie, I still have a huge soft spot for AFI. Saw them last month and it was fun as shit.

I haven't listened to AFI in a long time!

This was the 1st song of theirs I fell in love with:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users