IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ToolBegins Tracking June/July

• Please log in to reply
3377 replies to this topic

#3361 logos

logos

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2855 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Sound the dread alarm

#3362 kev821

kev821

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:25 PM

https://www.metalsuc...res-adam-jones/

#3363 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

https://images.app.g...vT1T8QraoiS9z59

#3364 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10052 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

Huh, that actually makes sense

#3365 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8220 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

Interesting

#3366 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10052 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:17 PM

A million listening sessions later i still don't like the album. Especially the lyrics and the singing suck. It's crazy that the dude who wrote Rosetta stoned could write the total poopfest that is pneuma.

But the music is also a buncha random soulless jams, the interludes are totally useless, the whole thing just feels unnecessary, this whole album. Boooh

#3367 kev821

kev821

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted Yesterday, 01:53 AM

After more listens I think the solo in 7empest could be a bit longer

#3368 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 624 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted Yesterday, 05:13 AM

Once I accepted what it isn't I really began to appreciate what it is. I think some of the jams are cold and surgical. There are times I think if they just did X here and Y there this would be perfect, but I don't want to be that fuckin guy.

That sucks that you don't like it, man. By this point I doubt that's gonna change.

#3369 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8220 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted Yesterday, 12:06 PM

I can get the jams sounding surgical and soulless, but I think that's in part because they're so technically proficient in their instruments, no? 

#3370 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5635 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Carl still listened a million times, mind. sordni's thoughts, weeks on: really not into the lyrical themes of this LP, jimbobs spread himself too thin across his bands, or he's just past it and doesn't care? but it speaks to an isolation on his part, from the rest of the band. musically there's nothing essential here, it just is – and some of it is way too long (descending/invincible) and not half as clever as it thinks it is (title track, invincible). culling voices seems like the kind of track you could write in an afternoon (start with a four degrees style noodling, plonk a riff on it, done) and there's so much room for more vocals in that track, if he could be bothered. The synths throughout the album are incredibly simplistic and dull – considering Justin listens to electronic music solely, that surprises me. The segues are absolutely and without exception redundant. Chocolate Chip Trip isn't a song, it's barely music, it's Merkaba 2. The hella riff at the end of Descending feels absolutely tacked on, many of the transitions mid songs seem arbitrary in terms of their being put together – you could remix three or four of these songs together and it wouldn't make much difference. The chug chug chug in Invincible onwards, the vocals (thrice repeated) and the synth, god that song is a tragedy. Pneuma still sounds like 90215 era Yes to me, but the second half of that song (4/4 onwards) is completely unneccesary and no fun.  I think my biggest critique of this LP is that its so emotionless and cold. But hey, I listened to it yesterday all the way thrrough (by which I mean, no segues and no CCT) and yeah it was OK but look, I listened to Taylor Swift straight after. It's just music, isn't it? They aren't the band they were in 2002. It's music by people, fine, whatever – I don't mind that so long as they aren't going around telling everyone how important it is/they are.

#3371 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8220 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted Yesterday, 05:29 PM

I agree with all of your criticisms but still love it because they’re just mere mortals and can’t simply redo a new album without a bit of a retread. Like, they were so amazing and mind opening in their prime how much more can you pry open your third eye? ... shrug.

#3372 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8220 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Maybe 13 years was actually way too long to make an album. Eventually their minds just melted and it all sounded like much the same to them and all became jumbled together into what it is today.

#3373 kev821

kev821

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Carl still listened a million times, mind. sordni's thoughts, weeks on: really not into the lyrical themes of this LP, jimbobs spread himself too thin across his bands, or he's just past it and doesn't care? but it speaks to an isolation on his part, from the rest of the band. musically there's nothing essential here, it just is – and some of it is way too long (descending/invincible) and not half as clever as it thinks it is (title track, invincible). culling voices seems like the kind of track you could write in an afternoon (start with a four degrees style noodling, plonk a riff on it, done) and there's so much room for more vocals in that track, if he could be bothered. The synths throughout the album are incredibly simplistic and dull – considering Justin listens to electronic music solely, that surprises me. The segues are absolutely and without exception redundant. Chocolate Chip Trip isn't a song, it's barely music, it's Merkaba 2. The hella riff at the end of Descending feels absolutely tacked on, many of the transitions mid songs seem arbitrary in terms of their being put together – you could remix three or four of these songs together and it wouldn't make much difference. The chug chug chug in Invincible onwards, the vocals (thrice repeated) and the synth, god that song is a tragedy. Pneuma still sounds like Yes to me, but the second half of that song (4/4 onwards) is completely unneccesary and no fun. I think my biggest critique of this LP is that its so emotionless and cold. But hey, I listened to it yesterday all the way thrrough (by which I mean, no segues and no CCT) and yeah it was OK but look, I listened to Taylor Swift straight after. It's just music, isn't it? They aren't the band they were in 2002. It's music by people, fine, whatever – I don't mind that so long as they aren't going around telling everyone how important it is/they are.

On pneuma, like the 2nd half more the music slowly builds on that so I think it just sounds fuller and a little heavery towards the end. That intro is really nice, though really like the way the guitar starts off and the bass coming in. I played the album at work over the soundsystem the other week, this one dude was like is that schism part 2 when the bass kicked in, lol

#3374 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5635 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted Yesterday, 06:07 PM

Maybe 13 years was actually way too long to make an album. Eventually their minds just melted and it all sounded like much the same to them and all became jumbled together into what it is today.

This would certainly tally with Danny Carey saying they were looking at 'one long song' maybe four years ago.

#3375 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4350 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 09:19 PM

And Maynard said they could release a great album 8 years ago but Adam is too much of a perfectionist

#3376 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted Yesterday, 09:44 PM

Listened to the new album. It’s ok. Doesn’t really wow me, but not awful. Lateralus still my favorite.

But, who cares about this when there’s so much knitting to be done with all that Omar/Deantoni/Eva Instagram stuff. :)

#3377 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5635 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted Yesterday, 09:59 PM

But, who cares about this when there’s so much knitting to be done with all that Omar/Deantoni/Eva Instagram stuff. :)

Apropos of Justin Chancellor being on the cover of Bass Guitar magazine, I noticed there's an Eva Gardner interview inside.

#3378 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13798 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted Today, 12:13 AM

I can get the jams sounding surgical and soulless, but I think that's in part because they're so technically proficient in their instruments, no?

in the 90's maybe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users