IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#054) Solid State Mercenaries2017-04-21

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 indrossi

indrossi

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4113 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 10 May 2017 - 06:45 PM

I've had it for a while – I honestly thought it would be out by now.

#242 sshambles

sshambles

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1223 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:29 AM

No, I thought that as well. (By the way, wait til the new DMST album comes out in a few weeks  – it may very well be their best record)

Thanks for the tip! I thought they were done and dusted. 

#243 indrossi

indrossi

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • 4113 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

Guitar/drums second half of Strangled Maybes is totally unnecessary Omar by numbers jam stuff and kinda ruins what was a really perfect song.

#244 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2769 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

i like it. the vocals are my main problem with the album. if you wanna talk about by the numbers i bring lightning round to the stand, pretty boring track

#245 indrossi

indrossi

Goliath

• Coma Donor
  • 4113 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:39 PM

Oh, certainly. I just think that Strangled Maybes could easily have found its way onto something like A Lovejoy, were it not for the rather token 'rock it up' genre shift at the end. All that song's sweetness and delicacy just comes undone. It'd be one of my favourite ORL tracks were it not for that end.

#246 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

yeah i can see that. it reminds me of upon golden ice though, the lushness being a road to guitar meltdown land. idk about lovejoy but i could see it on killing tingled, lovejoy is more beat based. i'd love an album with lovejoy's sound palate and no four on the floor though thats for sure

#247 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4266 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:15 PM

This brings up an interesting point: Everyone talks about best tracks, what about the worst tracks? Potentially a more interesting discussion since it is almost universally acknowledged that this series has produced a greater proportion of stinkers than pre-Ipecac ORL.

#248 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:22 PM

i wouldnt go as far as saying stinkers, but i do feel that nothing has really matched what came before telesterion except sworn virgins, birth of a ghost, and maybe gorilla preacher

#249 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2710 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

Totally disagree.

#250 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4266 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

i wouldnt go as far as saying stinkers, but i do feel that nothing has really matched what came before telesterion except sworn virgins, birth of a ghost, and maybe gorilla preacher

Ok so what are the worst tracks that you wouldn't go so far as to call stinkers?

#251 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Ok so what are the worst tracks that you wouldn't go so far as to call stinkers?

thats tough to answer because i think they're objectively all passable and its up to taste beyond that. that's been my favorite part about these albums though, how they're all so different that there's something for everyone even though my white wales haven't been put out yet - the salsa album, jacob iii, and more amsterdam stuff. the two things i could say are the worst, apart from some of blind worms, corazones, weekly, and lovejoy because they're not to my taste, are some of the remakes. el bien destroys the atmosphere of its source material which i found to be the best part and the desarriago remake from ensayo falls flat where the original soars. some of the mixing here on solid state, snil, and chocolate i'm not too fond of either, to a lesser extent but those aren't tracks it's more broad criticism so take that for what you will i suppose. it's annoying that the coda from piedras keeps popping up with little to no changes too. people joke about sea is rising but that bit is more guilty. i find it hard to believe there aren't more interludes of that vein that could be put in place of using the same track four times over

#252 Mavis Diles

Mavis Diles

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts
  • Joined 21-October 16

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

Oh, certainly. I just think that Strangled Maybes could easily have found its way onto something like A Lovejoy, were it not for the rather token 'rock it up' genre shift at the end. All that song's sweetness and delicacy just comes undone. It'd be one of my favourite ORL tracks were it not for that end.

I see your point. It's a bit of a cut and paste job, the rock bit is likely a piece of something else. But, I love it, just for the way the synth comes in at the end. In fact I like this album a lot even though it's clearly a bit thrown together.

#253 EmbraceTheH2O

EmbraceTheH2O

(-`).。oO( ... )

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15560 posts
  • Joined 31-March 04
  • Interests:rock'nroll, penny lane, brains, robits, waves~
  • Twitter

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:33 AM

tolerating the vocals on this one so far because it's not teri 

#254 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2769 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:59 AM

hah

#255 natedog807

natedog807

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2785 posts
  • Joined 11-April 11
  • Interests:I wanted to edit this, but this just seems like a lot of work. I need to do my English essay and study for my Econ final

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:28 AM

It's just that every vocal has the exact same effect on it. And it's not a great effect to hear, especially after multiple songs. The vocal melodies don't sound inspired and aren't memorable. Just kind of grating.

2012 vocals had different effects, sometimes came through with very well written melodies and fit those tunes and sonics

2012 vox > 2017 vox

#256 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8615 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

It's just that every vocal has the exact same effect on it. And it's not a great effect to hear, especially after multiple songs. The vocal melodies don't sound inspired and aren't memorable. Just kind of grating.

2012 vocals had different effects, sometimes came through with very well written melodies and fit those tunes and sonics

2012 vox > 2017 vox

I'M INCLINED TO AGREE

#257 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9588 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

Damn you're on a roll dude

1 user(s) are reading this topic