IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Stonerrock

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Marc

Marc

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1841 posts
  • Joined 17-August 04

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:04 AM

Damn, how did I miss this thread. I've gotta give a lot of these bands a listen.

I'm loving Kyuss, QOTSA, Desert Session, and Fatso Jetson.

Fatso Jetson (to my surprise) i don't think have been mentioned in this thread. To all my stoner rock friends, listen to Fatso Jetson. I suggest Cruel and Delicious or Stinky Little Gods. I have a feeling many of you will appreciate it. These guys are very close with the palm desert/josh homme stoner rock genre.

#62 Vairiant

Vairiant

I like my pockets fat not flat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6733 posts
  • Joined 20-September 04
  • Interests:fuck you hotsalsa

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:57 AM

Lord By Fire's album Sword is good stuff.

#63 Carruthers

Carruthers

GRAWRRR IM A GRIZZLY BEAR

• Members
  • 8481 posts
  • Joined 22-July 03
  • Interests:Me and you.<br />Your momma and your cousin, too.
  • Myspace

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:59 AM

I've been listening to two pretty cool stoner records a whole lot lately.

Posted Image
Blessed Be by Fireball (a buncha girls from Brooklyn making a loud crunchy racket) and

Posted Image
And Then What by ST37 (a buncha old folks from Texas making a mess of crazy psychedelic noise).

#64 Joeguy

Joeguy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts
  • Joined 12-November 05

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

I'm not much into it anymore but I used to be pretty heavy into Sheavy, Orange Goblin, Alabama Thunder Pussy, Nebula, Kyuss, Lowrider, Eternal Esyluim (Japanese), Brant Bjork's solo stuff, Unida, and Clutch.

I never got into Queens that much but I think they are killer musicians and can write some good grooves.

#65 manupod13

manupod13

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4897 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
  • Myspace

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

THE STONECUTTERS!
these are some buddies of mine from Louisville. best local band around here, hands down.
i would consider them stonerrock, i don't know what you'll think.

#66 mario

mario

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2474 posts
  • Joined 08-July 04

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:52 AM

mamatus

#67 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8693 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:28 PM

A 15 year bump!!!!

Is anyone from this thread still around?

I went from loving Drone, to getting really heavy into Black Sabbath…

But now I’m ALL IN on Sleep!!!

Everything since their reunion is fan-fucking-tastic and epic as fuck! I made a playlist of their two post-reunion singles and their 2018 album The Sciences and it says it’s an hour 20 minutes. Probably could’ve all gone on 1 insanely long album.

I love their album Dopesmoker as well. Saw they have a lime green cassette for it on Southern Lord’s website! Definitely want to grab that.

Besides these guys I do like the album Welcome to Sky Valley by Kyuss but haven’t heard much else by them.

I want to listen to Electric Wizard next specifically their album Dopethrone, then both of Sleep members other projects Om and High on Fire.

Anyone else here a fan of the stoner rock/metal genre? I just find it so damn relaxing and solid there’s nothing else I’d rather hear right now. Currently jamming to Sleep’s single The Clarity, what an epic track.

#68 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8693 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:45 PM

I know none of you responded yet, but if I may drop a hot take on Electric Wizard (Dopethrone)…. I have to turn it off due to the poor muddy mixing and raspy singing. Hurts my ears :(. Doubtful if I’ll be able to get into them if this is their primary sound. After going from everything Sleep has done to them I unfortunately just can’t. Makes it so apparent how much we take for granted carefully chosen guitar tones, proper mixing for your headspace, and clear singing.

This is part of the reason why I can’t listen to Deftones as much as I like. When I turn them up sometimes the mixing just hurts my ears. I can have Sleep at full volume and I don’t get anything in terms of ear pain. It’s just so full and meticulously planned out in terms of guitar tones and atmosphere.

#69 kev821

kev821

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:21 AM

dopethrone is dope but yeah its pretty raw, high on fire is cool more traditional metal than sleep, But yeah i really dig Kyuss and the projects that came after qotsa, etc. Also check out Fu Manchu there super rad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users