IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Cotopaxi Video

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 mattymonster

mattymonster

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 07-April 09

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, haha. I found it amusing that such a fast paced song was juxtaposed with people just sitting around. Got a little boring after a while, but I found the first minute or so pretty cool.

#142 Ignorance of Fashion

Ignorance of Fashion

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

This will probably piss some of you off but I'll ask it anyway...

Are all the people who hate this video a typical white person?

:rolleyes:

I haven't watched it with sound (I don't have headphones right now) so I'm sure that makes some difference but it looks fucking amazing. Loved the part with X-Rodriguez and Ceddy at 54. Funny and creepy at the same time.

And overall I agree with this

video is cool, too bad the song is generic

why would i be typically white, because i realize the video is a parody, and it's intentionally bad? it's shot great, but the concept is poking fun at music videos in general. it's not meant to be taken seriously.

"Typically White" = only or mostly interested in generic American"fast-food culture".

I'm not sure the video entirely qualifies as parody and I don't believe its "intentionally bad". I think the juxtaposition of the random scenes in an Mexican town, profiles of average citizens, and the usage of Brechtian theatre techniques was well manifested within the context of a music video.

As for what I'm talking about when I refer to Bertolt Brecht, forgive me for the fact that I'm cut & pasting from wikipedia.

Along with his contemporary Erwin Piscator, Brecht created an influential theory of theatre—the epic theatre—that proposed that a play should not cause the spectator to identify emotionally with the characters or action before him or her, but should instead provoke rational self-reflection and a critical view of the action on the stage. Brecht thought that the experience of a climactic catharsis of emotion left an audience complacent. Instead, he wanted his audiences to adopt a critical perspective in order to recognise social injustice and exploitation and to be moved to go forth from the theatre and effect change in the world outside. For this purpose, Brecht employed the use of techniques that remind the spectator that the play is a representation of reality and not reality itself. By highlighting the constructed nature of the theatrical event, Brecht hoped to communicate that the audience's reality was equally constructed and, as such, was changeable.

One of Brecht's most important principles was what he called the Verfremdungseffekt (translated as "defamiliarization effect," "distancing effect," or "estrangement effect," and often mistranslated as "alienation effect").[61] This involved, Brecht wrote, "stripping the event of its self-evident, familiar, obvious quality and creating a sense of astonishment and curiosity about them."[62] To this end, Brecht employed techniques such as the actor's direct address to the audience, harsh and bright stage lighting, the use of songs to interrupt the action, explanatory placards, and, in rehearsals, the transposition of text to the third person or past tense, and speaking the stage directions out loud.[63]

People who studies other peoples ideas are weak minded and cant figure things out for themselves. Putting titles to what is basically the human conscience and condition is a waste of the very thoughts themselves.

Studying someone elses thoughts and conveyances is just being a fanboy of someone who thought of something you agree with. Its just as meritable as saying "my friend had a philosophy to give everyone everything they wanted and the world would be perfect." Pretty solid philosophical idea, but what weight does it carry.

The fact that this Brecht character wanted to translate that isnt impressive, it is something anyone with half a heart and willingness to create wants to do. Any artist will tell you basically that their art is an expression of something they were feeling or thinking about. It is going to try to be conveyed in the most profound (whether direct or indirect) enticing, and intriguing form it can be, to the artists intentions of course. But thats commonplace for anyone trying to share their message of good being.

That doesnt cover this.

This video is straight up not a good music video. Dropping all terms and definitions. This is a series of steadily shot scenes, with a stationary tv that has a shitty loop of ceds dumb face singing and maybe some shots of the band, maybe. Things are happening in each shot, but who wants to see the daily bussle of Mexico City in any location, really. Its just people walking around, sitting even, boring shit. Regardless of what is happening. This video offers nothing.

It is an insult to the fans, we just sat here and watched people sitting there, watching us watch them watch.

bullshit

die in a fire...please?

#143 Nizzim

Nizzim

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2256 posts
  • Joined 28-August 05

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

no can do

still dropping knowledge

#144 turquoise

turquoise

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 07-August 07

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:10 AM

"People who studies other peoples ideas are weak minded and cant figure things out for themselves."

says it all really...

the video's a cool idea and worked, im down with it.

#145 woodstockwascool

woodstockwascool

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

"People who studies other peoples ideas are weak minded and cant figure things out for themselves."

The means absolutely nothing. How do you expect anyone to be good at anything if he or she does not analyze the works of others? Imagine writing a novel having never read a book. Now imagine writing a song never having heard one. What a silly, silly idea.

#146 andilaine

andilaine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined 10-December 06

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

With this, and the video for "Since We've Been Wrong", I think they may be trying to tell us to, "WATCH MORE TV".
Though, of course, they're too late ... somebody else already told us that a long time ago. :wink:

#147 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13702 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:55 PM

With this, and the video for "Since We've Been Wrong", I think they may be trying to tell us to, "WATCH MORE TV".
Though, of course, they're too late ... somebody else already told us that a long time ago. :wink:

You are obviously joking aren't you?

#148 andilaine

andilaine

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined 10-December 06

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

You are obviously joking aren't you?

Am I? :unsure:

#149 CattleProdigy

CattleProdigy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts
  • Joined 03-June 09

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:12 PM

God damn this song sucks

Fuck you, get off the forum

Love TMV, Don't Hate!!!!

#150 Mlilly

Mlilly

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3339 posts
  • Joined 26-May 09

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:14 AM

Theres nothing wrong with this video!

I don't know what the dissaponted people were expecting. I mean its cooky, just like the VOLTA... its set in mexico, they have swine flue masks on, a guy sleeping next to the road... and to top it all off theres a GOAT in it! I mean COME ON!!

yeah!!!!!!!! goats power!!!!!! behhhh

Feeling the Love for the goat! :notworthy:

also the old lady in the vid makes me smile.. i feel like shes thinking.. "errm...do you want me to do something?..no?...but..oh ok.....crazy modern kids!"

:biggrin:

showed this vid to my friend and now she loves this album. :gummybear:

#151 Mlilly

Mlilly

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3339 posts
  • Joined 26-May 09

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:15 AM

no can do

still soiling myself on forums

#152 joefowler

joefowler

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts
  • Joined 01-April 06

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

I just don't understand what makes up a good music video or a bad one. I think this is cool. In the end its just a visual slapped onto a song. Just because it isn't the band playing the song in fifty different angles doesn't make it bad.

#153 Kingfish

Kingfish

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2605 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
  • Interests:Music, art, music, art, movies,

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

no someone gave them the idea to make a music video with tvs inside of other tvs and shit like the storm ftm pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users