IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

King Gizzard & The Lizard WizzardNonagon Infinity

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5347 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me be about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

was suggested this by a friend and described as "easier to digest Mars Volta" not sure I agree, but you can hear some influence there.  I also hear some Acid Mothers Temple, Psychic Paramount, and Flaming Lips.  If you listen to it on loop the last track perfectly leads into the first which is pretty nifty. 

#2 Poimandres

Poimandres

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:21 AM

Just getting into these guys... pretty sick album. Very 70's sounding but plenty of energy and lot's of fun. I can hear a little bit of Volta in there.

#3 casper02

casper02

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-March 07

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:03 AM

first post here - would definitely recommend getting into these guys and their back catalogue, one of the most interesting bands out of Aus + brilliant live show 

#4 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Quiet the coincidence, I first heard about them just yesterday. Gonna see them next month with Brian Jonestown Massacre, should be cool.

#5 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 15 July 2016 - 04:44 PM

I also was recentlhy introduced to this band.  This album is awesome.  And I agree, very 70's psychadelic sounding.

#6 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3449 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:21 PM

How's this thread so quiet. Everyone should be raving about these guys !

Another fantastic Garage / Psych Rock band with the double drummer combo.

I assume it was the first video posted there but this album is so goddam fun. For the past few days it was my soundtrack to getting shit done.

And the album looping on itself makes it even better.

Their new release is also quite something in term of foot tapping, groovyness and no-fuck given. Plus they're releasing another one by the end of June and another one by the end of the year to makes things even more interesting.

#7 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

their new album is tied for my #1 of 2017 with aphex twin's field day LP. I've never been too much of a fan of them, i put them in the same bin as the millions of other garage psych bands out there today, but this last one snuck up on me and is really great

#8 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:56 PM

Nonagon Infinity and Flying Microtonal Banana are both very good. Looking forward to hear the new one.

#9 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

Nonagon Infinity is one of the funniest, most straight forward music I heard in a long time.
I feel they have this Thee Oh Sees vibe, no matter the situation, it never fails to make me motivated and in a good mood, so I don't see how I could not keep coming back to those albums !

I have yet to dig into their back catalogue, only tried a couple more albums, but I'm also hyped for those new albums to come. Sadly they are sold out for their next show, I'll try to

cope some tickets at the venue if people end up not being able to come. I'd be thoroughly disappointed if I can't find any

#10 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

i just read their next album is gonna be jazzy. hype!

#11 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

Nonagon was probably my favorite album of 2016. I couldn't get into the latest album as much. Maybe I'll give it another listen.  Nonagon hooked me right away.  I'm excited to get 2 more albums this year.  That's crazy!

#12 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:49 PM

Alright, I just got out of their show. Instant top 3 performance I've seen in my lifetime.

They opened with songs from Flying Microtonal Banana (Rattlesnakes, Doom City, Nuclear Fusion, Sleep Drifter, Billabong Valley and maybe one I forgot) before switching from microtonal gear to regularly tuned instruments.

Went into chapter one of the new album (Altered Beast), then Nonagon songs (Robot Stop, Gamma Knife, People-Vultures), back to Altered Beast.

And then the went absolutely nuts, playing Am I In Heaven? from the album I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and then looping / jamming into a medley of songs from their last 5 or 6 LPs, riffs and songs perfectly segueing into each other.

Call it crazy but they have their own "Gizzard-verse" and everythings connects soothly. Absolutely mindblowing considering they were jumping from tracks released maybe 4 or 5 years apart.

The ended the show playing The River from Quarters!, maybe one of my favourite track from them.

The whole show lasted 1h30 but it felt way longer, and since they played so many tracks from a vast array of albums, it was definitely worth the money.

Consider me enlightened by the Gizzards, I can't wait to catch them live again and will continue recommending them a lot this year.

#13 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5347 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:34 PM

Alright, I just got out of their show. Instant top 3 performance I've seen in my lifetime.

They opened with songs from Flying Microtonal Banana (Rattlesnakes, Doom City, Nuclear Fusion, Sleep Drifter, Billabong Valley and maybe one I forgot) before switching from microtonal gear to regularly tuned instruments.
Went into chapter one of the new album (Altered Beast), then Nonagon songs (Robot Stop, Gamma Knife, People-Vultures), back to Altered Beast.

And then the went absolutely nuts, playing Am I In Heaven? from the album I'm In Your Mind Fuzz, and then looping / jamming into a medley of songs from their last 5 or 6 LPs, riffs and songs perfectly segueing into each other.
Call it crazy but they have their own "Gizzard-verse" and everythings connects soothly. Absolutely mindblowing considering they were jumping from tracks released maybe 4 or 5 years apart.
The ended the show playing The River from Quarters!, maybe one of my favourite track from them.

The whole show lasted 1h30 but it felt way longer, and since they played so many tracks from a vast array of albums, it was definitely worth the money.
Consider me enlightened by the Gizzards, I can't wait to catch them live again and will continue recommending them a lot this year.

What do you mean by microtonal gear? I'm not well-versed on the subject of microtones

#14 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2840 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

i believe that equates to fretless

#15 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:19 AM

i believe that equates to fretless

Nah, it means additional frets to extend the standard chromatic scale.

king-gizzard-hannah-verbeuren_71.jpg

#16 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5347 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:08 AM

This new album has a lot of overlapping sounds with Nonagon. Maybe the same recording session? The lyrics are pretty terrible, but it's still proper silly fun

#17 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3449 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

This new album has a lot of overlapping sounds with Nonagon. Maybe the same recording session? The lyrics are pretty terrible, but it's still proper silly fun

There's a Gizziverse theory going on right now. Not only those sounds are overlapping with nonagon but also with one of their former record - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz.
As I said, when they play live, some songs just perfectly segue into another despite being from different albums. People are going nuts on the King Gizz subreddit, posting different playlists of those 3 albums

with seamless transitions.

Just yesterday, someone managed to create one that used the totality of the songs of those 3 albums (IIYMF, NI and MOTU). I'll try to find a picture.

As for the campy lyrics, I think it doesn't work too bad for the first two chapters of MOTU - Altered Beast and Lord Of Lightning / The Balrog - but is borderline annoying for the Han-Tyumi section.

Their lyrics were always the least serious part of their music, between the repetition of song titles in the chorus or the voice literaly miroring guitar riffs for most of the songs. Absolutely not a deal breaker for me

but I think it will brush people in the wrong way with this last release. Looking forward to the next albums they have in store, one's supposedly acoustic and very trimmed down, no idea if that's the same one as the jazz record.

And Flying Microtonal Banana is called "Volume 1 in exploring microtonal tuning" so I hope we're getting a second one like this soon. FMB is slowly and steadily becoming my favourite album of the year.

Edit : Trilogy reordered playlist.

#18 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5347 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:22 PM

There's a Gizziverse theory going on right now. Not only those sounds are overlapping with nonagon but also with one of their former record - I'm In Your Mind Fuzz.
As I said, when they play live, some songs just perfectly segue into another despite being from different albums. People are going nuts on the King Gizz subreddit, posting different playlists of those 3 albums
with seamless transitions.
Just yesterday, someone managed to create one that used the totality of the songs of those 3 albums (IIYMF, NI and MOTU). I'll try to find a picture.

As for the campy lyrics, I think it doesn't work too bad for the first two chapters of MOTU - Altered Beast and Lord Of Lightning / The Balrog - but is borderline annoying for the Han-Tyumi section.
Their lyrics were always the least serious part of their music, between the repetition of song titles in the chorus or the voice literaly miroring guitar riffs for most of the songs. Absolutely not a deal breaker for me
but I think it will brush people in the wrong way with this last release. Looking forward to the next albums they have in store, one's supposedly acoustic and very trimmed down, no idea if that's the same one as the jazz record.
And Flying Microtonal Banana is called "Volume 1 in exploring microtonal tuning" so I hope we're getting a second one like this soon. FMB is slowly and steadily becoming my favourite album of the year.

Edit : Trilogy reordered playlist.

Wow damn I'll check that out.

Yes MTB is amazing. Open water is such a wild track

#19 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

in•ter a•li•a•moms

• Party Members
  • 5347 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

After more time with Murder of The Universe I have to say it's warmed up to me. Nonagon is still better but the Lord of Lightning/Balrog suite is REAL good

Can't wait for the new Jazz album

#20 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2946 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Old news but this is pretty hilarious:
http://musicfeeds.co...metal-category/

0 user(s) are reading this topic