IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
4926 replies to this topic

#4921 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3002 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 15 February 2020 - 06:00 AM

Fair point.

Cedric did say this in one of his IG drawing stories. (paraphrasing) “we could make new shit based on the early style and enjoy it for a while but I know us...it’ll ware off really quick and we’ll get stuck”. Then he went on to say that they have to make new material and explore new ground because that’s what Volta was always about from its inception. That it might lose fans along the way but they’re kinda used to that.

#4922 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 16 February 2020 - 02:46 PM

I didn’t hear anything on Interalia that sounded like a retread of past ATDI songs. What are the comparisons exactly? It had the Punk energy, but besides that, it sounded completely different.

It made sense to toss all the Volta work out of the way and make the follow up to Relationship of Command. Without repeating RoC. Same thing applies to Volta. They shouldn’t be thinking about following up the recent album they did (Interalia, Diamanté). They gotta follow up Noctourniquet.

it sounded like they thought too hard about what atdi "should" sound like after ROC. Like they were trying too hard to be punk, rather than what the music they wanted to make 15 years later would actually sound like

Noctourniquet has more genuine "punk energy" imo, with songs like Whip Hand, Dyslexicon, Malkin Jewel etc

I mean I think when they said same head space for ATDI, they meant coming up with something that logically sounds like that band. That said; I think they wrote awesome tunes on that album: no wolf like the present, governed by contagions, hostage stamps, ghost tape no 9, etc are all great songs that I’ll listen to any day of the week, especially at the gym. Then the diamanté EP all 3 songs rock - that one you can tell they totally did for fun and it was amazing.

With TMV - we have no clue what it’ll be like. Maybe ATDI scratches that “rock band” itch for the guys and TMV is where they get weird? I did find it interesting that ATDI 2016-present started to add jams and solos to songs (enfilade, quarantined, etc stretched to like 10 mins). Then again, for all we know TMV will have Jon Theodore and they just had to work around his queens schedule.....we simply don’t know at this point.

#4923 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4550 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

Pretty sure Jon said he wont be in TMV

#4924 logos

logos

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2970 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 16 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

I’ve never gotten the impression that Jon is interested in such a thing or is even really friends with them anymore.

#4925 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3002 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 17 February 2020 - 05:32 AM

He and Eva went to a ATDI show, and hung out win Omar and Cedric so they’re all on good terms now. But Jon doesn’t seem interested. And he’s busy. It’ll be Deantoni.

#4926 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6872 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 18 February 2020 - 02:42 PM

Maybe someone has better ears than me, but I tried using this to isolate Cedric's vocals on Aneidolon (Postulate) and still couldn't make out any more of the words:

https://moises.ai/

#4927 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4550 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 09:41 PM

There is also melody.ml which is the same

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users