IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Comprehensive List of Unreleased TMV-Related Media

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#221 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:53 AM

wait, there was a THIRD version of concertina floating around somewhere? what did it sound like? i always thought the post tremulant is the summer demo version? who plays bass on summer 2002 demos?

#222 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

wait, there was a THIRD version of concertina floating around somewhere? what did it sound like? i always thought the post tremulant is the summer demo version?

that's what I'm trying to figure out. the post-tremulant versions of eunuch and concertina don't sound like they came from the same sessions as the 4 "summer" recordings (inertiatic, roulette, drunkship, eriatarka). Some say they were recorded at the same time as De-Loused. I don't know it to be frank.

[edit]
just checked out the Promo CD the demos came from. Eunuch is labled as "rough 02", just like Apparatus, therefore it's probably a rough mix from the De-Loused sessions, Fall 2002 w/ Flea on bass.

who plays bass on summer 2002 demos?

Probably Ralph Jasso. Eva left after Coachella (end of April) and Ralph was mentioned as early as August 2002. You can see him walking around in that Aug '02 video of De Facto feat Fru. The bass playing on the summer demos doesn't really sound like Eva. It's a bit more amateurish.

#223 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:11 AM

concertina sounds like flea playing, also some of these "summer demos" performances are identical to the studio album (for example, cicatriz) and the bass sounds the same so i assume it's flea?

#224 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:14 AM

concertina sounds like flea playing, also some of these "summer demos" performances are identical to the studio album (for example, cicatriz) and the bass sounds the same so i assume it's flea?

https://www.discogs....release/4726690
Not all tracks labled as "summer demos" came from the same session. Some of them were rough mixes from De-Loused sessions. Only 4 were the actual demos.

#225 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:19 AM

so you think it's ralph playing on this EP?

#226 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

No, only on the tracks labled as "demo 02". Ralph still played with them on the string of shows in fall 2002. According to Omar that was right after they finished pre-production and were about to enter the actual studio. There he was replaced by Flea who had to learn his parts in a just a few days.

Timeline:
-ralph joins in the beginning of August according to a GSL news item quoted on that hellpaso page.
-they do "two months" of pre-production according to O&C in that interview, august & september -> "summer demos"
-they play a few shows in California (end of september, early october)
-they enter the studio (october) -> "rough mixes" etc.

#227 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Ikey probably isn't on those summer demos either. His departure was announced at the same time as Ralph's joining.

#228 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:35 PM

who's playing keys then on these?

#229 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6724 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:45 PM

From what I recall, Concertina was among the first tracks released by the band online (in a similar manner as the early Antemasque tracks). I'm pretty sure that Concertina is the same one that ended up on Tremulant, so the thing about it being rerecorded was either just a mistake or they changed their minds. I do however have an unmastered version of it somewhere on my computer that might have been the one that was released early.

And yes the post-Tremulant versions of Concertina and Eunuch are from the actual De-Loused album sessions. So those along with Plague are all technically De-Loused b-sides.

#230 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

From what I recall, Concertina was among the first tracks released by the band online (in a similar manner as the early Antemasque tracks). I'm pretty sure that Concertina is the same one that ended up on Tremulant, so the thing about it being rerecorded was either just a mistake or they changed their minds. I do however have an unmastered version of it somewhere on my computer that might have been the one that was released early.

Wow, even if it's just an unmastered version, I would really love to hear it.

who's playing keys then on these?

Linda Good

#231 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

me too plz. so did they just release the whole tremulant ep online before releasing it in stores or what?

#232 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6724 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:58 PM

Nah it was just Concertina and the demos of Roulette and Cicatriz, I believe. I can upload the unmastered Concertina when I get home. I also have an unmastered version of the post-Tremulant Concertina; I believe the one that is widely circulated is fan mastered because if you listen to Eunuch it was not given the same treatment.

#233 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

They must have uploaded it really fast after recording it. Here's an archive.org capture from December 6th, 2001:

Yellowdatsun.com Has uploaded
THE MARS VOLTA
ROULETTE DARES MP3

&

CONCERTINA

The news item from November 28th, 2001 said:

MARS VOLTA are recording next week an EP for a 12"/CD release on GSL in (hopefully) march. It will most likely be 3 three songs. Roulette Dares might go on the EP. If that wasn't enough news for you, they are collaborating on some of the album tracks with the Latch Bros (Mike D and co.) - Sonny Kay

#234 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

weird, wiki says the EP was recorded oct-dec 2001

#235 anea17

anea17

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 06-September 17

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Oh, that's what it says in the CD booklet, too. Hmm.

#236 Stuka77

Stuka77

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 19-November 17

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:59 AM

And yes the post-Tremulant versions of Concertina and Eunuch are from the actual De-Loused album sessions. So those along with Plague are all technically De-Loused b-sides.

Really would love to hear the unmastered Concertina. :)

#237 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:27 AM

There was some guy on reddit talking about FTM2 existing basically and the only info was that it wasnt released cuz it sounds too much like ftm itself. Maybe aranas? But then it doesnt sound too much like ftm

#238 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6724 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:53 AM

Aranas sounds more like LP1.5 to me.  Omar has said several times over the years that there's a scrapped album for almost every album, but I doubt we'll ever actually hear that stuff (unless it's released in another form as a solo album of course).  I also doubt Cedric is on much if any of this scrapped material.  I just hope if nothing else they'll at least release b-sides officially someday.

#239 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3506 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:51 AM

Here's an archive.org capture from December 6th, 2001:

Yellowdatsun.com Has uploaded
THE MARS VOLTA
ROULETTE DARES MP3

&

CONCERTINA

What roulette dares version was that? A demo with Blake? Is it availiable anywhere?

#240 Stuka77

Stuka77

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Joined 19-November 17

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

p sure it was Roulette with Blake

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users