IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Pitchfork Review6.0

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 pacman40

pacman40

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06
  • Interests:Music, films, women, sex, alcohol, drugs, poetry, football, writing, music, art, philosophy, walking, increasing my knowledge

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

This review isn't very well written, for starters. Too repetitive, too banal. Full of purple prose. And the occasional mistake, as people have pointed out.

However, the reviewer does have a point to a certain degree, particularly regarding Cotopaxi. But it still falls into the same 'let's be so indie we give people who like genuine indie music a bad name' category that all Pitchfork reviews fall into.

Still, Pitchfork love Mastodon, so I guess all is not lost.

I think it's time we stopped paying attention to mainstream review sites and instead focused on well written articles by well informed fans. I think they would give us more insight into how TMV are regarded by the people that matter.

#22 dlh92

dlh92

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Joined 05-July 08

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:47 PM

And with songs that only once stray past the eight-minute mark, it's the most accessible MV album since the first.

Since when does accessibility rely solely on song length?

#23 a fasting artist

a fasting artist

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts
  • Joined 17-December 03
  • Interests:jamming, eating, and sleeping. oh, and soccer too.

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

And with songs that only once stray past the eight-minute mark, it's the most accessible MV album since the first.

Since when does accessibility rely solely on song length?

i believe they call that a non-sequitur argument.

the mars volta have always been accessible.

...to me anyway.

#24 dude001

dude001

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined 11-January 06
  • Interests:stuff...
  • Myspace

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:50 PM

the band's allegiance to jazz-fusion titans, ones not averse to fuzz and a low-end, means things get far...looser from album number two onward.

wtf is she talking about none of their albums are looser than frances the mute.

#25 LFC-87

LFC-87

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 02-May 08

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:08 AM

This is actually the best review for the album i have read so far, and god knows ive read almost every one as the people in here have found every single one of them on the internet (rightfully so, as this is the comatorium). i dont know what you are talking about pac-man. this is good writing. almost every other review has just been thrown together in 125 words or less, as if it were just something they had to get out of their way. yes, she did commit the ol' switcheroo mistake with the names, but what she is saying is dead on. anyways, good review, its just unfortunate that she has a negative conception of the mars volta, otherwise it could have easily been an 8.

#26 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:56 AM

Idiocy of the reviewer aside, at least from an aesthetic standpoint (opposed to factual), I thought this was well-written. Props for not making me cringe.

#27 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Music<br />Math<br />Women<br />
  • Facebook

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:06 AM

Best Pitchfork review ever.

What a shitty review.

#28 pacman40

pacman40

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 20-April 06
  • Interests:Music, films, women, sex, alcohol, drugs, poetry, football, writing, music, art, philosophy, walking, increasing my knowledge

Posted 04 July 2009 - 12:03 PM

This is actually the best review for the album i have read so far, and god knows ive read almost every one as the people in here have found every single one of them on the internet (rightfully so, as this is the comatorium). i dont know what you are talking about pac-man. this is good writing. almost every other review has just been thrown together in 125 words or less, as if it were just something they had to get out of their way. yes, she did commit the ol' switcheroo mistake with the names, but what she is saying is dead on. anyways, good review, its just unfortunate that she has a negative conception of the mars volta, otherwise it could have easily been an 8.

The reason most reviews are under 125 words is because that's the space the publishers give them. It has nothing to do with getting anything out of the way.

I didn't think it was particularly well-written compared to what a music review should be, but then I'm used to the British school of music journalism, it takes a while to get used to the American equivalent, I guess.

Although having said that, on second reading it does lose a bit of the annoying quality that seemed to hang around it at first.

Not saying I could write a better review, but most reviewers can't play instruments to any proficient standard, yet they are still qualified to pass judgment over music.

#29 paulwhitehouse

paulwhitehouse

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 237 posts
  • Joined 08-July 07

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:44 PM

There"s no point in reviewing Mars Volta"s music.
You"re either gonna fucking love or fucking hate it.There"s no in between.

#30 iculus

iculus

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Joined 28-June 05

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

other than the actual rating (6.0) I think that was a great review. I think the reviewer hit it right on the head.

#31 Lassor

Lassor

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 14-September 09

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I hate when people don't understand art music, but still insists on judging it...

#32 TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Joined 20-September 08

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

damn, the interviewer really has no fucking clue about any of the facts they stated. do some damn research. oh and i hate pitchfork

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users