IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Worst TMV album review.

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 inxy

inxy

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 04-March 14

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Never thought I'd see a cringier TMV review after reading Pitchfork's delusional ones. This guy really takes the gold.

#2 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

custom skanxx here we gooo

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5161 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Interests:quint4ever<3
  • Twitter

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Wow. You can't review a mars Volta album after the first time you've heard it, specially if you've never heard Volta before.

#3 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:10 PM

Haha that was terrible. Every
body is a music critic these days....
it doesn't get much worse than that anthony fantano needle drop douche tho, he's almost to hip to like anything

#4 CabezaDeGallo

CabezaDeGallo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts
  • Joined 08-April 14

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:19 PM

I think he loved the drums.

#5 Kingfish

Kingfish

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2605 posts
  • Joined 04-September 05
  • Interests:Music, art, music, art, movies,

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

I thought theneedledrop's review was pretty spot on. The only part that I didn't agree with was the part about Empty Vessels

#6 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

I just meant I think he's pretty douchey overall, wasn't talking specifically about his nocto review...I don't even really remember it

#7 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

• Coma Donor
  • 5161 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Twitter

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

"at one point he said dasharaa or something, I actually liked that part, kinda catchy" you're getting it man, you're getting it, just a few more listens.

#8 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

"...to me the drums are kind of like, the most important part of the song, because if you can't really feel the beat, how are you supposed to jam to it?"

He's got a point.

#9 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

• Coma Donor
  • 5161 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Twitter

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Idk, I can feel the tightness and a kind of pressure in the drumming and I can jam to it just fine, would be interesting to hear with different drumming tho.

#10 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7423 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

The eyebrows..

#11 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7423 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

"The first 4 tracks, you've been listening to this album for 20 minutes, that's... insane, that's kinda long!"

Do Amputechture!!! :biggrin:

#12 Joel___SMEGMA

Joel___SMEGMA

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Joined 02-April 07

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:25 PM

HILARIOUS!

Definitely a first time tmv listener's review

#13 StarsUponThars

StarsUponThars

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 23-August 06

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

"i feel like if hippies were still around, this is the kind of music they would be listening to"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

#14 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

WHAT IS MY PROBLEM??

• Members
  • 8871 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

it doesn't get much worse than that anthony fantano needle drop douche tho, he's almost to hip to like anything

dude gives like an 8 to everything. i think fantano is one of the most reasonable reviewers out

#15 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7423 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 13 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

I mean, he's not a very good or original reviewer but I didn't really mind him. lots of hate in his comments, along with him warming up to the album. :)

#16 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

dude gives like an 8 to everything. i think fantano is one of the most reasonable reviewers out

Ok I guess I came off as kind of an asshole with that statement. And I have to agree with you a little that he is one of the better ones out there. But I just have a dislike for people who are music critics or film critics in general. I mean it doesn't take any kind of skill set other than being able to clearly articulate your opinion on something, and when did giving your opinion on something become acceptable as a job or career? I mean literally any old chode can buy a web cam and do an album or movie review. I just think the whole thing is silly. And a lot of it has just become a platform for negativity. Pitchfork never seems to like anything, even the stuff they do like. Everything is a put down. Critics seem to think they're higher up or know something more than the rest of us about music because they have a music blog or work for a magazine. The purpose is to get an idea of what the thing sounds like so you have a better guess on whether you should invest your time in it or not. But it's all so convoluted. I used to have a neighbor that only found out about music through rolling stone, he would say things like "pretty much if it gets a good review..." or "if it has more than 3 stars I'll buy it" I just think that's a little goofy. We should be able to find music for ourselves and form an opinion of our own.

#17 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7423 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

^Agreed. I like to read reviews but when I come across those that are negative against albums/bands I like, it's scary how I'm suddenly influenced by the points they make! "Hmm, maybe I was wrong. Maybe they aren't that good?"

It feels ridiculous, like what you want and be happy! Unless it sucks.

#18 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

• Coma Donor
  • 5161 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Twitter

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:21 PM

It's really all about standards. We know and the band knows that most people won't like them. This dude is searching for songs around 4min. that are catchy and easy to follow if that's what you want it's clear you won't like it much. We all hear the same music and see things as either positive or negative. I guess this would be a good review cause reviewers job is to represent the general taste in music so that people can relate and use the reviewers opinion as a replacement to their own. No?

#19 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

^Agreed. I like to read reviews but when I come across those that are negative against albums/bands I like, it's scary how I'm suddenly influenced by the points they make! "Hmm, maybe I was wrong. Maybe they aren't that good?"

Really?  Never been an issue for me;  taste is subjective, there's no right/wrong, and no way of objectively saying a band is "good" or not.  I just observe that the reviewer's taste sucks and move on.

#20 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

Really? Never been an issue for me; taste is subjective, there's no right/wrong, and no way of objectively saying a band is "good" or not. I just observe that the reviewer's taste sucks and move on.

I agree, any normal person should think this way. But there's a lot of people that think music publications are the authority on taste. With the example of my neighbor I was trying to point this out. So the sad thing is a review can really hurt or help album sales. It's lame that rolling stone, pitchfork, npr and so on will lay into good music like tmv and then praise some idiot like lil wayne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users