IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Flying LotusBrilliant, Robotic, Instrumental Hip-Hop

• Please log in to reply
321 replies to this topic

#21 ComptonEffect

ComptonEffect

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1660 posts
  • Joined 17-February 06

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:23 AM

anybody sharing this on soulseek?

Yeah, hotnikkels and myself (nixon08). Add me.

i added both of you and still can't manage to get it even though nixon08 is online

#22 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03
  • Interests:Art, Girls, Music

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

anybody sharing this on soulseek?

Yeah, hotnikkels and myself (nixon08). Add me.

i added both of you and still can't manage to get it even though nixon08 is online

it's spelled hottnikkels.

Send me a message so I know it's you, and I'll bump you up.

#23 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

Just got it in the mail. Going to the TV on the Radio show in about an hour so I'll be listening on the way.

#24 Lacerda

Lacerda

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1577 posts
  • Joined 02-April 04
  • Interests:peace, love, and chimay.

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

Just got it in the mail. Going to the TV on the Radio show in about an hour so I'll be listening on the way.

ventured out to score on some trees only to come home to the lotus in my mailbox. great afternoon. :thumbsup:

he's playing next wed at the airline in LA (chinatown) for $5. Grouch posted some info on it on the so cal shows thread. don't sleep!

#25 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

Damn, are you serious??? You don't realize how insanely lucky you are. I saw a short clip of his live set on youtube and it looked pretty insane. Do you have a means of recording it? I'd love to hear how this stuff translates live. I'm absolutely addicted to this album right now. Best album of 2006, and I don't see anything else coming close. I'm serious.

#26 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 18 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

Haha, on the train ride to and from TV on the Radio, I listened to this five times. It's so hard to pin down, even when you like it. It's like the beats are elusive or something...

#27 ELEPHANTe

ELEPHANTe

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1224 posts
  • Joined 03-August 06

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

if this isn't really deserving of a top album praise, i'm going to kill you Nixon, literally kill you.

#28 ToastyFun

ToastyFun

...god did, when he killed my wife

• Members
  • 6128 posts
  • Joined 06-June 05

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

oh man, im loving this

first listen and im on track 7, good song

#29 Sannea

Sannea

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined 18-February 04
  • Interests:p-o-t

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:15 PM

oh man, im loving this

first listen and im on track 7, good song

jaaaaaaa - track 7 :wub: :wub:

but not only - I just listen to it, at work - only my boss seems...well he looks like :blink:

edit:

so bought it - in Germany it is only 6,13 euro (UK Import)

#30 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 19 October 2006 - 03:51 AM

With the exception of the 1983 Remix at the end, which should have been a b-side, every single track is as close to flawless as I've seen in quite some time. Truley a groundbreaking album.

Right now I'm really digging 'Shifty' (5) and 'Untitled #7' (9). Stalk, I'm interested in hearing what you've got to say about the album. And anyone else can chime in here, but how do you think it compares to an album like, say, 'One Word Extinguisher', 'The Unseen', or 'One/Three'? I'd almost compare it to 'Rounds' by Four Tet as wel; but thats only because I've always had this uncontrollable desire to catagorize things - but like you said, this one is really tough to pin down. Thats probably why I like it so much.

if this isn't really deserving of a top album praise, i'm going to kill you Nixon, literally kill you.

Make sure you give it some time. It doesn't require too much though - because there are these hidden, unexpected, beautiful melodies that kind of start popping out at you listen after listen. Those alone make the album worth hearing.

I really can't praise this album enough. It's damn near perfect. I'ld honestly give it a 9.5/10

#31 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:44 AM

***New Song***

Flying Lotus posted a new song on his myspace. It's called 'Orange Buckle'. I'm guessing it's new because it's not on the album, and on the myspace player he has it listed as 'unreleased 2007'. Anyways, definitely hit it up:

http://www.myspace.com/flyinglotus

After hearing this, I went over to the Jazzy Sport myspace, which is listed as one of his friends and found some very interesting music. I'd definitely check some of that out if you like this. But even more important was this:

"Currently he is at work on an album for Jazzy Sport.

LA born kid Flying Lotus has been making music since he was 14, artistically mentored by Alice Coltrane, Madlib and Carlos Nino for the past few months and there are so many dope cats around him (LA) on the rise that have him working extra hard to develop his sound.

He's an Adult Swim Nerd. While in conversation with him, you may often hear comparisons to US and Japanese Comics like Dragon Ball Z. Maybe it was that much more special when his beats got featured on several Adult Swim bumpers.

Lotus also carries the title of independent film director. He's majored in Film and his currently finishing up work on a secret documentry that I'm sure music lovers will bug out on. It's not surprising to hear his music reflect a feeling of a soundtrack score and paint a scene for your mind. Its more than just beats.

the album for jazzy sport will be put out in early 2007 and its gonna be featuring many hot guests like OH NO. stay tuned. "

Thats fucking awesome, new album early 2007. Damn I can't wait for that! And I guess we can assume that 'Orange Buckle' will be on it. From what it sounds like, this guy never stops working.

Posted Image

#32 Allort

Allort

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04
  • Interests:slapstick and melodies

Posted 19 October 2006 - 06:12 AM

can't someone send send me 1983 on aol/msn?

#33 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

Doubtfull. You'll have to try Soulseek or just buy it from iTunes. It's worth it and I'm sure he could use the business.

#34 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

Well, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on this album - especially about the Daedalus remix, which I hate. As a whole, I wish it was longer and you can definitely tell the Madlib influence, if not also Pete Rock in there. His actual beats are so crazed out, with little reversals here and there.

Pretty much for me, I'd give it an 8.8 out of 10, considering the last track and how short it is. I guess, it's also a bit samey in a good way as well. I'm definitely feeling it though.

#35 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:19 AM

***New Song***

Flying Lotus posted a new song on his myspace. It's called 'Orange Buckle'. I'm guessing it's new because it's not on the album, and on the myspace player he has it listed as 'unreleased 2007'. Anyways, definitely hit it up:

http://www.myspace.com/flyinglotus

Thanks for the information, I'm glad to see he might have something new out so soon. I'm not so sure that "Orange Buckle" will be on the new album though, because he sent out a bulletin about a week ago and said that "Orange Buckle" was an old song from the 1983 vault. It does say "2007 Unreleased," but he's also put up some songs before that have said "2005 Unreleased" and "2006 Unreleased," so it seems that these might just be leftovers. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

#36 Allort

Allort

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:22 AM

Doubtfull. You'll have to try Soulseek or just buy it from iTunes. It's worth it and I'm sure he could use the business.

:happy:

i need to listen before purchase

#37 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:29 AM

Well, I'm pretty much in agreement with you on this album - especially about the Daedalus remix, which I hate. As a whole, I wish it was longer and you can definitely tell the Madlib influence, if not also Pete Rock in there. His actual beats are so crazed out, with little reversals here and there.

Pretty much for me, I'd give it an 8.8 out of 10, considering the last track and how short it is. I guess, it's also a bit samey in a good way as well. I'm definitely feeling it though.

I usually don't listen to the Daedalus remix. I think it takes away from the vibe of the album, and "Unexpected Delight" is a more fitting end. I actually like that it's a bit short. I think if some of the tracks carried on for too long they might get stale, but the way that it is every track is pretty exhilarating. The shortness also makes you want to go back and listen to it again and again, becasue you're not really satisfied with just one spin a day. That's part of what makes "Madvillainy" so great as well. The tracks are so short you never get tired of them. I think it helps the album's replay value.

#38 Nixon08

Nixon08

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3446 posts
  • Joined 03-April 05

Posted 19 October 2006 - 07:57 AM

[quote name='hottnikkels' date='Oct 18 2006, 06:33 PM' post='1636554']

[/quote]

The shortness also makes you want to go back and listen to it again and again
[/quote]

Yea, definitely. And their so complex that there really isn't any reason to extend them any longer than they already are.

#39 hottnikkels

hottnikkels

• Members
  • 7911 posts
  • Joined 07-December 03

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:52 AM

The shortness also makes you want to go back and listen to it again and again

Yea, definitely. And their so complex that there really isn't any reason to extend them any longer than they already are.

This is only my opinion, but I think the more complex songs on the album are actually its few long runners. The reason I think the shorter songs, if extended, might have become a bit stale is because I don't think they're quite as complex, just really solid productions. That's sort of the problem I'm beginning to have with Dr. Who Dat's "Beat Journey." His songs are great productions, but he rocks them out for like 4 minutes without much variation, and they begin to become repetative. if he had taken notes from Lotus and cut them down to 2-3 minutes, I think it would have really improved his album. I guess you could make the argument that Lotus could have worked on the shorter songs longer and extended them while adding more variation, but I guess he felt they were finished, and I think they turned out pretty great. And like I said before the shorter songs are great for replay value, because they leave you wanting more. I think the fact that he was a film major and seems to have a flare for the cinematic, suggests that we can expect longer records in the future. A full album of songs like "Pet Monster Shotglass" would be amazing.

#40 Allort

Allort

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2306 posts
  • Joined 03-January 04

Posted 19 October 2006 - 01:06 PM

I'd say that Fall in Love is my favorite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users