IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Lightning Bolt

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#81 tfs2

tfs2

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Joined 10-March 05

Posted 14 September 2005 - 11:57 AM

I modified it a little bit..

Posted Image

:wacko:

Thanks! :biggrin:

#82 themarsdrivein06

themarsdrivein06

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04
  • Interests:Who cares?

Posted 16 September 2005 - 04:31 AM

Does anyone have "The Power Of Salad" DVD? I heard it was pretty good. Wonderful Rainbow gets me moving.

#83 Erubey

Erubey

Aniki

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5801 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Speaking Japanese, French, Spanish, and English fluently one day. <br /><br />Manual labor<br /><br />Photography<br /><br />Hitchhiking <br /><br />Graffiti/Stencil<br /><br />Panda Express<br /><br />Post rock and sludge music<br /><br />Zapatistas <br /><br />Flute/Guitar<br /><br />Eccentric people. You know who you are

Posted 16 September 2005 - 06:32 AM

I have it. Its really good quality, surprising really. Sound and video wise

#84 Maze

Maze

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2252 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

Not a big fan but I love the new album.

#85 motherprussia

motherprussia

Creep/Weirdo

• Members
  • 18340 posts
  • Joined 22-September 03
  • Interests:Peter Gabriel, buttplugs, interracial marriage, banjos, soft serve ice cream, Wal-Greens, independent trucking, Andrew Johnson, Cheerios, Deep Woods OFF, wool scarves, repetition, hobbies, lace, red pepper flakes, pine forest scent
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 17 September 2005 - 04:40 AM

it's typical lightning bolt...just a little different...i wonder how long they can keep this up...

#86 themarsdrivein06

themarsdrivein06

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2005 posts
  • Joined 20-August 04
  • Interests:Who cares?

Posted 18 September 2005 - 02:21 AM

I have it. Its really good quality, surprising really. Sound and video wise

Is it just shows and behind the scenes stuff?

#87 Erubey

Erubey

Aniki

• Members
  • 5801 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Speaking Japanese, French, Spanish, and English fluently one day. <br /><br />Manual labor<br /><br />Photography<br /><br />Hitchhiking <br /><br />Graffiti/Stencil<br /><br />Panda Express<br /><br />Post rock and sludge music<br /><br />Zapatistas <br /><br />Flute/Guitar<br /><br />Eccentric people. You know who you are

Posted 18 September 2005 - 03:30 AM

Yeah, mainly just one camera...or 2 shoting shows. And then little interviews and tidbits put in between.

#88 boop-oop-a-doop

boop-oop-a-doop

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1101 posts
  • Joined 14-April 04
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 18 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

Nice interview with the band that I found, they mention the Mars Volta too:

http://www.thewire.c...tning_bolt.html

#89 snyprmg

snyprmg

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

• Members
  • 5827 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03
  • Interests:music, Bass, movies, cars, video games, whatever.
  • Facebook

Posted 18 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

it's typical lightning bolt...just a little different...i wonder how long they can keep this up...

Yea, they may have to do what Hella did and up the number of members. It worked for them, so it will be interesting to see what LB does.

That said, I fucking love them and can't wait for an '06 tour.

#90 motherprussia

motherprussia

Creep/Weirdo

• Members
  • 18340 posts
  • Joined 22-September 03
  • Interests:Peter Gabriel, buttplugs, interracial marriage, banjos, soft serve ice cream, Wal-Greens, independent trucking, Andrew Johnson, Cheerios, Deep Woods OFF, wool scarves, repetition, hobbies, lace, red pepper flakes, pine forest scent
  • Facebook
  • Myspace
  • Twitter

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:43 PM

Yea, they may have to do what Hella did and up the number of members. It worked for them, so it will be interesting to see what LB does.

That said, I fucking love them and can't wait for an '06 tour.

i've listened to the new one some more since i made that post an i enjoy it, like the other lightning bolt, but i dunno, maybe if he got rid of one of his overdrives or just went for a new bass sound or something; i love the energy and i need to see them live sometime

#91 vars

vars

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4097 posts
  • Joined 16-May 05
  • Interests:Musics, artworks, saying &quot;orange&quot;

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:26 PM

They're playing in some four day event in providence in the next few coming months I guess.

I might try to go.

#92 Exoskeletallanterns

Exoskeletallanterns

Goliath

• Members
  • 4446 posts
  • Joined 04-April 04

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:26 AM

I dont know if anyones mentioned this but cedric has mentioned them in interviews. I dig them a lot. I really need to see them live

#93 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:46 AM

There probably will be a change in LB's sound, they say this album represents the end of an era for them:
http://www.exclaim.c...d=22&csid1=4620

#94 Thirty2Seconds

Thirty2Seconds

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2616 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:my name is roy and im fuckin pissed. nah just kidding.
  • Myspace

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:04 AM

i just gotta say...
i'm really dissapointed with the new one.
it sounds like it should've come out before wonderful rainbow. WR was a masterpeice of slightly controlled mayhem.
hypermagic mountain is a mess of repetitive riffs and overused ideas.
i mean, i know that lightning bolt basically is repetition, but even the most repitious songs off WR (two towers, assassins) still had this strong drive to it. on HM, the repetitive tracks are just boring and grating. on top of that, it sounds as if lightning bolt just learned how to run vocals through a delay pedal, so they try to use it every time they can. it just sounds so amatuerish.
and there' also a ton of filler. the last 3 or so tracks are wasted. WR had similar tracks at the end (such as the title track, and the first track) but they still seemed to serve a purpose
and on top of all that, the album isnt CATCHY. i mean, i know they're not writing pop music, but that was the most amazing part of wonderful rainbow, it was chockfull of riffs and hooks. hypermagic mountain is easily forgetable, save for 2 morro morro land, which sounds like a b-side from wonderful rainbow when compared to the rest of the hypermagic mountain.
and i hate the production. the bass is muddy and the drums are distant.

alright thats enough. i still love the bolt, and will see them live at a hats drop.

#95 Erubey

Erubey

Aniki

• Members
  • 5801 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:28 AM

I think LB has run its full course, album wise. This was acceptable, but if they release another album thats in the same zone as the one they are still in...well they just turned into the AC/DC of noise rock. I cant say I would be a strong fan if that happened, just a nostalgic one.

#96 fatty_pads

fatty_pads

Goliath

• Members
  • 4610 posts
  • Joined 10-August 03
  • Interests:playing music, listening to music, skateboaring

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:04 AM

wonderful rainbow is still my favorite also

#97 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:36 AM

I love Hypermagic Mountain, I think they described it really well in the Wired interview, that it's probably their poppiest, but most dissonant stuff they've recorded. It's more intense than anything off of a wonderful rainbow and they play their instruments much better. It's a lot darker and meaner sounding, not as playful, which I like too. And even though the prduction's muddier, there's a lot more depth to it, the bass and drums actually feel heavy, instead of always being pushed into the treble range like their early stuff.

I think except for the last few tracks, it's got some of the catchiest and more song oriented stuff they've done. Dead Cowboy, Captain Caveman and Megaghost are great. On some of their earlier stuff I thought their use of appregios sounded too much like theory instead of songs, but all I hear are great riffs on this record.

But they also said in the interview, that fans generally like a band's mistakes and not their unadulterated vision, which I think is a shame because to me it sounds like what they've been striving for, which is unironic rock music, that's really noisy and fringe, but really accessible and passionate.

#98 lot6

lot6

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Joined 10-March 05
  • Interests:drums, chicks, food, music, writing, drugs

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:33 AM

i finally picked up hypermagic mountain today and while im still kinda sketchy on it, so far its treated me well.

just not as good as wonderful rainbow

i gotta see these dudes live

#99 boop-oop-a-doop

boop-oop-a-doop

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1101 posts
  • Joined 14-April 04
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 05 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

Brian Chippendale has a side project called Black Pus. You can download the whole album here: http://www.fauxfetus.net/ (It was only sold at his art shows and I'm pretty sure currently unavailble to purchase or sold out)

#100 maoSuch

maoSuch

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 10119 posts
  • Joined 04-October 03

Posted 05 March 2006 - 06:01 PM

13 monsters 13monsters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users