IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

ORL Projects6.24.16

• Please log in to reply
2990 replies to this topic

#2981 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:52 PM

Well, I did say it was just a guess, but ...

apparently they went through the hard drives themselves and supposedly remastered/remixed this stuff and even compiled these albums ...

^ This, costs money. I don’t know who paid for the music videos, but those cost money. Ipecac is a company. Everything that falls under operational overhead costs money. If the money coming in is less than money spent, then they are losing money. Hell, if the revenue coming in is less than what was projected — even if it is at a profit — it is considered losing money. Companies bail on projects all the time in every industry you can imagine. Anyways, it was just a thought on my part. But it makes sense.

#2982 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

And yet, we still miss the somnambulists and the salsa record.

My point is that, how do we know the salsa record isn’t some patched together remakes of songs we’ve already heard with shitty redubbed bass tracks? Maybe Omar never released it for a reason.
And those sales numbers you posted are pitiful. Quite honestly, they probably support my theory as much as anything.

#2983 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2997 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

To be fair, these numbers I guess are for fan accounts only (listed under "supported by" on album page). If you count unregistered buyers they probably should be a bit higher. Still, for the last few albums especially sales were likely minuscule.

#2984 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 15 November 2018 - 07:56 PM

And yet, we still miss the somnambulists and the salsa record.

My point is that, how do we know the salsa record isn’t some patched together remakes of songs we’ve already heard with shitty redubbed bass tracks? Maybe Omar never released it for a reason.
And those sales numbers you posted are pitiful. Quite honestly, they probably support my theory as much as anything.

i'll still take it thank you.

also, bandcamp is probably the tip of the iceberg. as another said, it's only registered users (which is smaller than unregistered i'm sure) and i'd wager that the lions share of sales were on itunes since its user base far exceeds bandcamp

#2985 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

As would I. But then there will always be people like SinkNazi who will complain about the quality, while also thinking that a label can somehow release 23 albums without it costing them any money to do so.

You guys all seem Hell-bent on blaming Ipecac for your not being happy with what you got. All I’m suggesting is that the shoddy execution of these releases might not be their fault. I didn’t think that would be such a tough pill to swallow.

#2986 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:12 PM

As would I. But then there will always be people like SinkNazi who will complain about the quality, while also thinking that a label can somehow release 23 albums without it costing them any money to do so.

You guys all seem Hell-bent on blaming Ipecac for your not being happy with what you got. All I’m suggesting is that the shoddy execution of these releases might not be their fault. I didn’t think that would be such a tough pill to swallow.

SinkNazi is clever...I like that....

My statement about cost was under the understanding that effectively Omar went "here release this" and that is what they did and really the costs of production were on Omar and not on Ipecac.  If that is wrong, that I'll happily admit that.  

My point still stands though.  This was bungled in a lot of ways and executed poorly.  The first 12 albums were handled actually pretty well, but round 2 was a pretty big disaster that kept compounding.  They should have waited until they had all the albums in hand or most because clearly they didn't and it just made things increasingly scattershot and erratic.  I'd say it is even worse if there was money on the line because they really should have put in a greater effort to promote this stuff and get sales.  

Am I happy we got 23 Omar albums?  Fuck yea, and most of them are solid listens.

Do I think this was handled well?  Absolutely not.

Both can be true and I can still appreciate Ipecac for doing this run of releases, but also scratch my head at how it was managed.

Sinknazi out

#2987 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4551 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 15 November 2018 - 11:18 PM

apparently they went through the hard drives themselves and supposedly remastered/remixed this stuff and even compiled these albums ...

^ This, costs money. I don’t know who paid for the music videos, but those cost money. Ipecac is a company. Everything that falls under operational overhead costs money. If the money coming in is less than money spent, then they are losing money. Hell, if the revenue coming in is less than what was projected — even if it is at a profit — it is considered losing money. Companies bail on projects all the time in every industry you can imagine. Anyways, it was just a thought on my part. But it makes sense.

Chris Common did that the compiling, mixing, etc. Pretty sure he's more affiliated with Omar than Ipecac, so not sure if that was on Ipecac's dime. 

The big tragedy for me is that O seems to have lost the rights to his earlier, far superior albums. The body of work reflected on the streaming giants is the Sworn Virgins, etc. albums, which is a huge disservice to both present and future fans. It's like his whole solo career from 2004-2011 never happened, when that that was some of the most exciting music I've ever heard.

#2988 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted Yesterday, 12:24 AM

The big tragedy for me is that O seems to have lost the rights to his earlier, far superior albums. The body of work reflected on the streaming giants is the Sworn Virgins, etc. albums, which is a huge disservice to both present and future fans. It's like his whole solo career from 2004-2011 never happened, when that that was some of the most exciting music I've ever heard.

i've never thought of it from that perspective but that's a really good point

#2989 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5629 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted Yesterday, 03:33 AM

Chris Common did that the compiling, mixing, etc. Pretty sure he's more affiliated with Omar than Ipecac, so not sure if that was on Ipecac's dime. 

I wonder how much of it is due to the distribution rights and how much is it he refuses to let certain musicians make any royalties off of his work.  He seems to have done a heavy retconning of Juan's existence in his universe which to me is shallow and shitty to his fans.  I just figure since he had a stake in GSL and RLP held the rights to a lot of his albums (just with physical releases through SH) he should have some of his material in his name.  Some like Old Money I get are gone for good.

#2990 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 8968 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Old Money is still on Spotify

#2991 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3961 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 10:43 AM

ipecac series is availiable on all digital platforms: itunes, google play, spotify, etc. Considering that google play and itunes versions of the albums are cheaper i dont see any reason to view sells on bandcamp as actual relevant information on how popular this series was. self-titled, old money, minor cuts, ORL&JMW, Cryptomnesia, absence, corazones de nadie, telesterion, xenophanes are still availiable digitally. perhaps because they're not on sargeant house?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users