IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Marilyn MansonA bit of a rant

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#21 sektor

sektor

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 19-January 04

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:19 AM

HATE - such a deconstructive state of being. :sad:

Just ignore them and tell yourself "they'll grow out of it one day".

AND GET OVER IT!! :thumbsup:

#22 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 14-March 04
  • Interests:TMVTMVTMVTMVTMVTMV<br />RATMRATMRATMRATM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Basically, I have just borrowed Antichrist Superstar, Portrait of an American Family and Smells like children from a freind of mine, and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Esentially, it is just the same song over and over again.

1) Intro, some random noise followed by every instrament coming in together. A scary riff with a moderately cool bassline and drum beat

2) Verse, the music goes quiet except for eerie (dunno how you spell that) noises and Manson starts to sing in some stupid voice trying to sound scary. The lyrics will mean nothing, only that they sound dark.
eg
You built me up with your wishing hell, I didn't have to sell you
You threw your money in the pissing well, you do just what they tell you
[from the song Antichrist superstar]

Bible belt round anglo waste, putting sinners in their place
Yeah right, great if you're so good explain the shit stains on your face
[from Cake and Sodomy]

Like some bizarre cocktail of Him, Cradle of Filth, and trying to do Rage style politics

3) the chorus, it goes loud and Manson starts to screem the title of the song

4) repeat (2) and (3)

5) some stupid fill where there is either a reasonable solo, or it will go even quieter than the verse and Manson will whisper some dark mantra about rape over and over again

6) End and then go back to (1) for the next song.

I don't see what poeple think is so special about him. Marilyn Manson himself is just a bit of an idiot, but the guy who lent me the albums says its amazing and he normally has pretty similar music taste to me.

can anyone enlighten me with regards to this music?

#23 Amputecture

Amputecture

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 13-March 05

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

I dunno. I like Manson. Not fanatically, but I like his music. It's true that it all uses the same pop verse, chorus, verse, chorus, mantra, chorus thing though.

Although, I don't find that his songs sound EXACTLY the same, but there are many big similarities. "Disposable Teens" is practically the same as "The Beautiful People" for instance.

My favourite records of his are Mechanical Animals, Holy Wood and Antichrist Superstar. His new stuff ain't that great.

#24 RohanMathew

RohanMathew

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:19 AM

From a person with all of MAnson's albums-
Marilyn Manson's song can be a bit predictable and he can do the whole dark thing a bit too much, but songs like tourniquet, wormboy and minute of decay just show to me why he is so famous. If you read his book alot of his songs make more sense, and like Volta they have hidden meanings
but really his fame is like %1o music and %90 shock, which is why i dont reallty listen him to much these days if at all, because you find better music and move on, its life

P.S.) Mechanical animals is easliy his best album, it's othing like the others.. kind of an acoustic/ eletric ballad album...

#25 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 14-March 04

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

I downloaded Coma White from Mechanical Animals some time ago, and it is quite a good song. Didn't Billy Corgan have a hand in its preduction. That could be the reason why its better, because Billy Corgan is awesome.

Also, The Everlasting Gaze on Machina is very Mansony, as is a live recording I found of Bullet with Butterfly Wings. I think Bill Corgan admires Manson in quite a big way.

And isn't Holy Wood later than the three I have at the moment?

#26 stalkingamnesiac

stalkingamnesiac

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 12-February 05
  • Interests:music &amp; literature

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

Marilyn Manson's song can be a bit predictable and he can do the whole dark thing a bit too much, but songs like tourniquet, wormboy and minute of decay just show to me why he is so famous. If you read his book alot of his songs make more sense, and like Volta they have hidden meanings
but really his fame is like %1o music and %90 shock, which is why i dont reallty listen him to much these days if at all, because you find better music and move on, its life

P.S.) Mechanical animals is easliy his best album, it's othing like the others.. kind of an acoustic/ eletric ballad  album...

View Post

Exactly.

I have to admit, I didn't spend too much time on comparing his songs, but I like them anyways, also the lyrics.
Although TGAOG wears out pretty fast, I like it from time to time.

#27 Solaris

Solaris

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12417 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:17 AM

he has some songs i listen to.

#28 Amputecture

Amputecture

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 177 posts
  • Joined 13-March 05

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

I downloaded Coma White from Mechanical Animals some time ago, and it is quite a good song. Didn't Billy Corgan have a hand in its preduction. That could be the reason why its better, because Billy Corgan is awesome.

Also, The Everlasting Gaze on Machina is very Mansony, as is a live recording I found of Bullet with Butterfly Wings. I think Bill Corgan admires Manson in quite a big way.

View Post

Yes it is. Antichrist - then Mechanical Animals - then Holy Wood.

Billy Corgan is one of Manson's friends. They smoked bones together. I'd recommend Manson's book, "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell", it puts a different spin on the music, is really interesting and I love biography books. It's cool stuff.

All valid points here. That's cool. I really hate it when people don't give Manson a chance because of the way he looks or what rumours are flying around about him. So what if he ate a cat whole, before doing a donkey up the ass onstage, just listen to the music, man!

#29 Lime Fetus

Lime Fetus

shoop da whoop

• Members
  • 5279 posts
  • Joined 11-July 03

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

People still believe he cut out some of his ribs to suck his own dick. I keep telling'em, you don't need to cut out a rib to do that!

#30 Direction

Direction

RIP Isaak Breen 2001-2008

• Members
  • 20545 posts
  • Joined 04-October 03

Posted 27 May 2005 - 02:52 PM

Hes an amazing businessman, he knows all the "fucked up" kids will eat his shit up, so he'll keep being more "outrageous" just so he can keep making money.

#31 Cicatriz71088

Cicatriz71088

MR. HATE!!!!!!

• Members
  • 6210 posts
  • Joined 11-March 05
  • Interests:Music is my number one passion in life, after that is film. Other than that I like to write a lot, I like to paint and I like to be creative in anyway possible.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

i like manson, but hes nothing special, hes like maroon 5 is to rock. (i like maroon 5....shut up) but its the same concept - its poppy and catchy - idk shut up i hate you all

#32 stalkingamnesiac

stalkingamnesiac

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Joined 12-February 05
  • Interests:music &amp; literature

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

Don't get me wrong, but I also somehow like how he behaves, this whole freak show makes him interesting for me, good retarted taste.
He's a different person off stage as well most of the time, really serious and intelligent - I agree with much of his point of views actually (I remember that awesome interview in NME some time ago, and the talk with M. Moore).

Aaand, I'm going to see him on a festival in June :ol_love:

#33 wakooooooooo

wakooooooooo

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2635 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:57 PM

View Post

No fucking way. That's a laughable statement. Manson has only the power to rip off and copy.

He is Alice Cooper V2.0. He steals all his industrial elements directly from NIN and no doubt does the same with Corgan. When BC produced Coma White he would have rejigged added and tinkered until it was his beast and a decent song.

#34 simarooskimoose

simarooskimoose

The 13th Warrior

• Members
  • 5532 posts
  • Joined 21-February 04
  • Interests:umm music, duh, playin piano and organ and violin...<br />ooh LISTENING to music, like ATDI, Manics, Fu Manchu and a ridiculous amount of other stuff like jazz. and stuff.<br />and The Mars Volta of course!<br /><br />football, rugby, politics, stupid contrasts etc...

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

he is a clever bugger

not sure about the music though

#35 MattTheArsonist

MattTheArsonist

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 352 posts
  • Joined 26-April 05
  • Interests:Guitars, Amen ATDI The Mars Volta AIC Nirvana Led Zeppelin Black Sabbath Deep Purple King Crimson The Stooges FEAR Ramones The Clash X Black Flag Bad Brains the Germs Minor Threat SOAD Rush Pixies RHCP The Refused Pink Floyd Murderdolls Pantera

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:40 PM

I've always liked Marilyn Manson's music, but I wouldn't really call myself a big fan. It's just something I'll listen to and enjoy but not obsess over.

#36 Agajagajagajagajaga

Agajagajagajagajaga

Agrajag/Nivius

• Members
  • 12077 posts
  • Joined 21-October 03

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:03 AM

People still believe he cut out some of his ribs to suck his own dick. I keep telling'em, you don't need to cut out a rib to do that!

View Post

Wow, I remember hearing that...it must have honestly been 7 years ago. They still say that?

#37 sixteenvolt420

sixteenvolt420

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

P.S.) Mechanical animals is easliy his best album, it's othing like the others.. kind of an acoustic/ eletric ballad  album...

View Post

i also have all of his cd's, and i rarely listen to them anymore. everything you said, i couldn't have said it any better myself. coma white is my fav manson song.

#38 RohanMathew

RohanMathew

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:09 AM

ANtichrist does sound quite like NIN in parts.Has ne1 heard "with teeth" the song, its fuking brilliant.

speaking of biogrphies i bought scar tissues today.. i know i waited a while.

#39 Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 14-March 04

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:32 PM

I didn't think Scar Tissue was very special. But read the Kurt Cobain biography heavier than heaven, thats a wicked book and really sensatively written towards the end when he fucked himself up largely.

Having listened to the albums a bit more I see where he's coming from, and I agree with Cedricslovechild's first post.

BUT, I still think he is quite shit.
The version of Sweet Things (are made of this) on Smells like children is a good song.

(wakooooooooo @ Yesterday, 12:57 PM)

(Dr. Strangelove @ May 27 2005, 05:57 AM)

No fucking way. That's a laughable statement. Manson has only the power to rip off and copy.

Nah. Machina was 2000, Antichrist was 1996. Everlasting Gaze is Billy trying to be Manson. Manson can't have copied something which came out 4 yrs after his album. Just listen to them, you will see what I mean.

EDIT: how do I get wakooooooooo @ Yesterday, 12:57 PM in the quote line instead of in the quote box

#40 kuoriv

kuoriv

the gay one

• Members
  • 7938 posts
  • Joined 06-September 03
  • Interests:Arts, music, writing, coffee, you, me, cash, slash, hash, mash and other words that rhyme. ♥

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:27 PM

he's an intelligent person. alas, his music isn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users