IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Thom Yorke

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#261 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8043 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:23 AM

If you don't mind, I want to give my honest take at how I've seen Thom over the past 5 to 10 years with his creative output. Swoonlp, I feel that were both similar in that we may be sarcastic the way we joke about these artists, but we mostly frequent these threads because we care, but we don't really enjoy their style or direction currently.

To be honest, have you seen his music video for brain in a fishtank (or something?) off TMB's? That was the worst music video ever imo. I keep thinking. Thom Yorke after decades of huge success can do anything he can to be creative or interesting and after all these years of breaking new ground, the best he could give us is him looking like he just got out of bed with super close up, unappealing quick shots of his face??

..... Seriously?

Swoonlp, let's do a little comparing here of Thom with Maynard as far as presentation goes....

Maynard always looks clean and kept well. Thom is seriously looking like a bum who doesn't care. I think of the new Puscifer album and how it is leagues beyond anything Thome Yorke has put out but then again they are different styles. Maynard I can detect a lot of passion in his new music still, when listening to Grand Canyon, Smoke and Mirrors, Life of Brian, Etc. Thom on the other hand..... I honestly feel is a case of "burnt out making music". I feel like I haven't heard anything that has truly inspired him or motivated him to do something brand new to wow us as fans. I feel like he's a man who has experienced so much success in his talents that he is starting to get lazy and/or has taken the success for granted and that it shows in TMB. HOWEVER, AFP AMOK is really awesome. I think when Thom collaborates, he is more motivated to collectively make something great. That's why I still have hope for new Radiohead, but Thom solo is becoming in my mind dismissible.

#262 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6821 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:33 AM

That new Radiohead song they've been playing live for a while, Identikit, is awesome.  I'm excited to hear a studio version of that.

#263 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8043 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:44 AM

Ohhhh I didn't know about that. That's cool I'll check that one out.

#264 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:16 AM

I haven't listened to any Thom Yorker since Eraser (Atoms for Peace kicks ass. I heard it twice, but they won't stream it on Spotify and that kind of overreaching ideology from successful missions who already bought in to and payed out from the record industry makes me wanna tell people like Maynard, Cedric and Yorke to go back to cleaning tables with that elitist anti-pirating, anti-criticism, anti-anti bullshit.

Achem. Not that I wouldn't be like that myself, but humanity's an ugly mirror.

That being said, I think Puscifer reeeeeeaaaaaally sucks compared to APC and Tool and especially Thom Yorke or Radiohead. If you're talking about his kempt appearance granting him some sort of observation on work ethics or I integrity, Maynard's song titles, album titles, lyrics, stage show and presence are 100% satire - it's a lame joke, all of it.

Yorke on the other hand writes strictly about global politics, inner anxiety and introspection. His appearance is a purposeful demonstration of the "artist" mentality. He's just trying to look sexy for all the hipster pussy he probably swings on the reg. Dude rocks a fucking man bun I mean come on.

#265 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

I would like to hear Atoms For Peace do an album as a band. Those gigs, a few years back, were amazing.

#266 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8043 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 10 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

They released an album but only one so far.

As far as your opinion on Puscifer that's cool I LOVED APC as well. Our opinions are flipped on the Maynard Yorke thing but I am just longing to hear something wow worthy from Thom which is something I haven't heard since arguably the KoL or AMOK.

#267 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5598 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 10 December 2015 - 11:45 PM

I haven't listened to any Thom Yorker since Eraser (Atoms for Peace kicks ass. I heard it twice, but they won't stream it on Spotify and that kind of overreaching ideology from successful missions who already bought in to and payed out from the record industry makes me wanna tell people like Maynard, Cedric and Yorke to go back to cleaning tables with that elitist anti-pirating, anti-criticism, anti-anti bullshit.

Achem. Not that I wouldn't be like that myself, but humanity's an ugly mirror.

That being said, I think Puscifer reeeeeeaaaaaally sucks compared to APC and Tool and especially Thom Yorke or Radiohead. If you're talking about his kempt appearance granting him some sort of observation on work ethics or I integrity, Maynard's song titles, album titles, lyrics, stage show and presence are 100% satire - it's a lame joke, all of it.

Yorke on the other hand writes strictly about global politics, inner anxiety and introspection. His appearance is a purposeful demonstration of the "artist" mentality. He's just trying to look sexy for all the hipster pussy he probably swings on the reg. Dude rocks a fucking man bun I mean come on.

Yea I heard the new Puscifer album and didn't get it.  Then again I don't get the appeal of Tool either.  

I'm learning to like Radiohead though more....so many years after the mark

#268 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6821 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:56 AM

Radiohead has made a lot of really good music, but they've also made a lot of boring music.  It's not really a band for somebody who wants to hear in your face music, but they've done some pretty experimental stuff here and there.  Such as this...

#269 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

If you don't mind, I want to give my honest take at how I've seen Thom over the past 5 to 10 years with his creative output. Swoonlp, I feel that were both similar in that we may be sarcastic the way we joke about these artists, but we mostly frequent these threads because we care, but we don't really enjoy their style or direction currently.

To be honest, have you seen his music video for brain in a fishtank (or something?) off TMB's? That was the worst music video ever imo. I keep thinking. Thom Yorke after decades of huge success can do anything he can to be creative or interesting and after all these years of breaking new ground, the best he could give us is him looking like he just got out of bed with super close up, unappealing quick shots of his face??

..... Seriously?

Swoonlp, let's do a little comparing here of Thom with Maynard as far as presentation goes....

Maynard always looks clean and kept well. Thom is seriously looking like a bum who doesn't care. I think of the new Puscifer album and how it is leagues beyond anything Thome Yorke has put out but then again they are different styles. Maynard I can detect a lot of passion in his new music still, when listening to Grand Canyon, Smoke and Mirrors, Life of Brian, Etc. Thom on the other hand..... I honestly feel is a case of "burnt out making music". I feel like I haven't heard anything that has truly inspired him or motivated him to do something brand new to wow us as fans. I feel like he's a man who has experienced so much success in his talents that he is starting to get lazy and/or has taken the success for granted and that it shows in TMB. HOWEVER, AFP AMOK is really awesome. I think when Thom collaborates, he is more motivated to collectively make something great. That's why I still have hope for new Radiohead, but Thom solo is becoming in my mind dismissible.

That's exactly how I felt it as well. There's a lot of tracks from Radiohead's discography that I never listen, but I'll keep following in casy anything intetesting pops.

AMOK was indeed a good album but as you said, I think the whole collaboration was what pushed it towards something special. TMB was pretty bland and uninteresting.

I never really got APC and barely like a couple songs, a bit more for Puscifer but they never did much to me. I kinda feel the same towards Eagles Of Death Metal for example. I don't mind the project but it feels so weak compared to what Josh Homme does usually release. And when you have Them Crooked Vultures next to that, yeah, it's lackluster to me. So I'll always check when these talented dudes release something new, but sometimes I'm simply not sold.

For the whole Thom / Maynard presentation bit, I don't really pay attention to this. When I watch live bits, I'll eventually notice that Yorke looks like he doesn't give the slightest fuck anymore. But these two dudes look like polar opposites anyways, they're overachievers when it comes to music but the way the approach communication with fans, projects, interview and their personal interests are completely different imo.

Ps: indeed, that new song was p cool Mataxia, hope the new record will be in 2016.

#270 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Idk, with tomorrow's modern boxes, it's pretty much sad mellow bloopy songs.

The best thing he's done in the past 5 years was Atoms for Peace.

I'm totally with you on this one, I had no idea Tomorrow's Modern Boxes was coming out and it was a real let down even though I didn't expect anything from it.
I was pissed when Bjork was dropped from a festival I wanted to attend to and they decided the best way to replace this headliner was by having Yorke play TMB stuff.

I hope that the next Radiohead will deliver more than that.
And Atoms For Peace feels like Them Crooked Vulture, the one time supergroup everyone digged but that we might never hear more from.

Was that the recent Pitchfork Paris gigs? I listened to TMB today and really enjoyed it, but I haven't listened to it since it came out.

#271 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Idk, with tomorrow's modern boxes, it's pretty much sad mellow bloopy songs.

The best thing he's done in the past 5 years was Atoms for Peace.

I'm totally with you on this one, I had no idea Tomorrow's Modern Boxes was coming out and it was a real let down even though I didn't expect anything from it.
I was pissed when Bjork was dropped from a festival I wanted to attend to and they decided the best way to replace this headliner was by having Yorke play TMB stuff.

I hope that the next Radiohead will deliver more than that.
And Atoms For Peace feels like Them Crooked Vulture, the one time supergroup everyone digged but that we might never hear more from.

Was that the recent Pitchfork Paris gigs? I listened to TMB today and really enjoyed it, but I haven't listened to it since it came out.

Yeah that's the gig.

#272 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

Damn, I really wanted to go to that.

#273 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • 3550 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:49 AM

Damn, I really wanted to go to that.

I would have been stoked to see Björk, and it's the reason I didn't go in the end.

But Battles, Thee Oh Sees, RTJ and Godspeed - despite thinking that a festival set wouldn't suit them - could have been great. Oh well.

Right now I'm looking at Amplifest 2016, a festival for next summer in Portugal, seems promising.

#274 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13492 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:15 AM

Radiohead frontman has followed in the footsteps of his bandmate Johnny Greenwood and announced his first film soundtrack. Yorke has recorded the soundtrack to the forthcoming horror film" Suspira". The soundtrack will be released alongside the film in October.

https://hasitleaked....-yorke-suspira/

#275 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5075 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

Unbelievable cunt but my word what a musician he is.

#276 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8043 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Facebook

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:01 PM

Wow that’s interesting. A horror soundtrack, okay.

#277 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3910 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 05 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

Unbelievable cunt but my word what a musician he is.

why is he a cunt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users