IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

King Crimsonyour favourite album?

• Please log in to reply
2596 replies to this topic

Poll: What's your favourite KC album? (209 member(s) have cast votes)

What's your favourite KC album?

1. In The Court Of The Crimson King (69 votes [34.85%])

Percentage of vote: 34.85%

2. In The Wake Of Poseidon (3 votes [1.52%])

Percentage of vote: 1.52%

3. Lizard (6 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Islands (7 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

5. Larks\' Tongues In Aspic (22 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

6. Starless And Bible Black (7 votes [3.54%])

Percentage of vote: 3.54%

7. Red (55 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

8. Discipline (13 votes [6.57%])

Percentage of vote: 6.57%

9. Beat (6 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

10. Three Of A Perfect Pair (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Vrooom (1 votes [0.51%])

Percentage of vote: 0.51%

12. Thrak (4 votes [2.02%])

Percentage of vote: 2.02%

13. The ConstruKtion Of Light (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

14. The Power To Believe (5 votes [2.53%])

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#2581 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3153 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 18 October 2018 - 07:42 PM

waters of streaming

I see what you did.

#2582 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3216 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:23 AM

cool jam is indeed a cool jam, i hope stuff like that and the collage shit from vienna becomes a regular thing with these releases. now where dat blu ray...

#2583 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2642 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 19 October 2018 - 02:24 AM

Definitely worth a listen......surprised by how much prominent keyboard work there was on fracture. Not the biggest fan of the way they changed up the guitar parts at the start on fracture, prefer Vienna in that aspect, but overall a cool different take with the addition of keys.

Lovely to get moonchild + cadenzas and discipline, awesome takes from 2018. Good on them to include them as bonus tracks.

While a lot of these songs have been released by this version of the band, it’s cool to get some new stuff and some killer new takes of songs....larks 1, talking drum / larks 2 (jakko even soloing for a bit on talking drum), easy money, indiscipline, schizoid (love Fripps solo section a ton), lizard suite, fracture, moonchild, breathless, discipline all stuck out as killer takes on first listen over dinner tonight. Can’t wait for the video portion!

#2584 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

do you think that cool jam was actually recorded in studio? sounds like it. i dont remember them ever jamming with this lineup. very oldshool guitar soloing from fripp. also not sure about spotify but i found it on my preferrable streaming service. not a fan of the new fracture. this approach (the same as in frakcture - one note played by one guitarist and the next is played by the other) only works with slower notes i think... here it sounds kinda stupid and gimmicky

#2585 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 19 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

Yep and btw I didn't know they had begun to upload some recordings to Spotify

Yep - they quietly added a bunch of live albums. All the live albums from the current lineup, plus the standard widely released ones from other various lineups. Dipping their toes in the waters of streaming slowly but surely...

they actually released one live album per lineup (except for 2008 and wetton feat. muir)

#2586 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2642 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

do you think that cool jam was actually recorded in studio? sounds like it. i dont remember them ever jamming with this lineup. very oldshool guitar soloing from fripp. also not sure about spotify but i found it on my preferrable streaming service. not a fan of the new fracture. this approach (the same as in frakcture - one note played by one guitarist and the next is played by the other) only works with slower notes i think... here it sounds kinda stupid and gimmicky

Cool jam I imagine was recorded at soundcheck - they’ve never done a full band jam like that live. No way they dragged the band into the studio to record just that....unless they were doing a bunch of recording and this is a teaser...

#2587 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2018 - 11:04 AM

Yeah soundcheck or rehearsal is more likely. I didnt mean exactly studio, sorry. Jakko did an interview a couple of days ago and he says the same thing as always: no plans to record an album, no plans not to record an album

#2588 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2642 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

Yeah soundcheck or rehearsal is more likely. I didnt mean exactly studio, sorry. Jakko did an interview a couple of days ago and he says the same thing as always: no plans to record an album, no plans not to record an album

I mean at this point, they might as well once they feel they have enough material compile their favorite performances of all the new songs and drum pieces into a “virtual studio album”, just remove the audience and you’re good. Only once they feel they’ve done definitive versions of the tracks....until then, cool to see those tunes keep popping up on live releases.

Curious on when a video rip of the mexico Blu Ray will be out and if it will happen before my copy arrives Tuesday, if only because just wanna see it!

#2589 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3216 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:38 PM

yeah i hope it's soon i hate how they don't do digital for the videos, CDs i can understand because most people have a player at least in their car but bluray, that's gotta be way less.

#2590 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 20 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

I mean at this point, they might as well once they feel they have enough material compile their favorite performances of all the new songs and drum pieces into a “virtual studio album”, just remove the audience and you’re good. Only once they feel they’ve done definitive versions of the tracks....until then, cool to see those tunes keep popping up on live releases.

which they've done with starless and bible black which is 77% live. i think they have their definitive versions with radical action. i'm actually pretty surprised that live in mexico doesnt have errors and radical action 1 and plenty of other songs... we only have the official bootleg soundboard from live in chicago right now

#2591 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2642 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:12 PM

which they've done with starless and bible black which is 77% live. i think they have their definitive versions with radical action. i'm actually pretty surprised that live in mexico doesnt have errors and radical action 1 and plenty of other songs... we only have the official bootleg soundboard from live in chicago right now

I was surprised by that as well - would have thought at least errors, meltdown, and radical 2 would make the Blu Ray as all 3 were performed, but imagine the reason could be they are planning something next year with the “new” material - they do have the reworked radical 1, which became known as radical 3 and the new revamp to suitable grounds, so perhaps all the “new” songs show up on video next year? They did have a documentary video guy with them on all of the 2018 tour.....

Sucks again how they only did Blu Ray for this release - I mean I bought it, but have until Tuesday for it to show up and I do not have means currently to play blu rays....so debate is wait for someone to rip the video and download it or bite down and actually buy a Blu Ray drive or player? First world problems...

#2592 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4539 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:33 PM

Unpopular opinion: King Crimson is really not that good.

#2593 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5603 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted Yesterday, 12:37 AM

I was surprised by that as well - would have thought at least errors, meltdown, and radical 2 would make the Blu Ray as all 3 were performed, but imagine the reason could be they are planning something next year with the “new” material - they do have the reworked radical 1, which became known as radical 3 and the new revamp to suitable grounds, so perhaps all the “new” songs show up on video next year? They did have a documentary video guy with them on all of the 2018 tour.....

Sucks again how they only did Blu Ray for this release - I mean I bought it, but have until Tuesday for it to show up and I do not have means currently to play blu rays....so debate is wait for someone to rip the video and download it or bite down and actually buy a Blu Ray drive or player? First world problems...

You can get a BD player for pretty cheap at this point. It's 10+ year old tech at this point....kind of crazy to think about it like that.

I only listened to live in Vienna plus the two bonus discs over the last two days. Pretty amazing how much they have evolved over the past few years often in small subtle ways.

#2594 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Im pretty sure they performed BOTH radical 3 and radical 1 in 2018 on some concerts. I wonder how that sounded like. Would be great if they did a virtual studio album next year but i dont think they have enough material. All their albums since the CD era were at least 50 minutes and they dont have 50 minutes worth of material yet (especially if you count all the drum solos). Unless they play some new stuff live in this autumn tour or maybe they've been doing recordings on soundcheck and rehearsals. They definitly recorded demos. There are demos of meltdown and errors availiable on tour boxes, wonder where were they recorded. Probably on home studios separately

#2595 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Unpopular opinion: King Crimson is really not that good.

How good is "that" good?

#2596 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2642 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted Yesterday, 12:48 PM

Im pretty sure they performed BOTH radical 3 and radical 1 in 2018 on some concerts. I wonder how that sounded like. Would be great if they did a virtual studio album next year but i dont think they have enough material. All their albums since the CD era were at least 50 minutes and they dont have 50 minutes worth of material yet (especially if you count all the drum solos). Unless they play some new stuff live in this autumn tour or maybe they've been doing recordings on soundcheck and rehearsals. They definitly recorded demos. There are demos of meltdown and errors availiable on tour boxes, wonder where were they recorded. Probably on home studios separately

The demos have been home demos - typically jakko and Gavin although one of the 2018 ones included tony. I know Gavin writes out and records all the drum arrangements himself so the 3 guys have something to reference as they are working up the songs. Mel and Fripp have never shown up on a demo.

As for the new radical 3 - I have it on a bootleg and saw it live in Milwaukee last year. It’s about 5 mins long and is another mutation of the radical theme, includes a searing Fripp solo which is always fun. Had figured that radical 3 was replacing radical 1 as it was showing up on sets as the song before meltdown normally, but then last year they started doing radical 1, radical 3, and meltdown all in order so yeah, guess they consider them separate pieces. Was cool in Milwaukee last year - they did radical 3 into meltdown middle of first set and then closed the second set with radical 2 into level 5, so was cool to see the radical set pieces spread out.

#2597 Andrewf

Andrewf

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • 3912 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted Yesterday, 04:25 PM

Pretty sure meltdown demo definitely has fripp

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users