IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Search Functiontips and tricks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 14 December 2004 - 09:10 AM

Here's a few tips on using the Search feature for anyone who is interested...

The search function DOES have it's problems (like not allowing quotation marks around exact phrases, Boolean searches, or searches for keywords under 4 characters ).....but I find one of the best ways to use it is to select "Search Titles Only". Example...

Say you want to start a common thread that goes like...

"Hi, I'm a fan of <band>. Is anybody else a fan of <band>?"

What you should try to do beforehand is....

1. Click the Search link.

2. Type in your keyword (or in this case, the band's name or part of their name)
NOTE: searches work best when you use one one keyword. For example, if you're searching for threads about "A Perfect Circle"...only search for either "perfect" or "circle"

3. Select "Mumbling of Citadels"

4. Put a check in "Search Titles Only"

5. Click the "Perform the Search" button

This method will give you less irrelevant results to sort through. A lot of topics can be found this way assuming the original thread starters put the band name somewhere in the thread title...which they almost always do. Anyway, don't be scared to start new threads. I'm just giving these tips so that you can find the info you're looking for faster. And if you happen to find an existing thread worthy of reading and/or bumping...well there's nothing wrong with that either :ol_cool:

NOTE: The above is just one of the ways you can use the Search Function effectively.

#2 Guest_Soundcheck_*

Guest_Soundcheck_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 17 April 2007 - 11:27 AM

The way to avoid repetition is simple - use the search function. But to many people, the search page is a mysterious, horrifying place.

But I'm here to tell you, it doesn't have to be! The search button can be one of your best friends, and can actually serve more than one purpose, including:
  • finding threads on a specific subject.
  • finding threads where certain subjects have been mentioned.
  • finding a thread where you said something specific (when you can't remember what thread you said it in).
  • finding a thread where another member said something specific (when you can't remember what thread they said it in).
This function is much easier to use than it apparently seems to some people. First off, if you can't fill in every box, don't worry! none of these are mandatory except the first.

Search For Keywords:
-This is most important box, because it's where you type in the words you want to find. Most people don't know how to use it, though, even though the directions are right below (Enter a keyword or phrase to search by). use AND in between words you definitely want included in the search. if you're not sure, though, don't hesitate to put OR in between these words. that way, the site will look for one or the other. Generally, the more words you connect with AND, the better your search will be.

Search For an author (Member Name):
-Do you know who said the quote you're looking for? Well then, fill it in here! this is optional, however using this function, is usually a good idea if you don't want to be searching though inadmissible posts. make sure you select Match Exact Name.

Forum and Category:
-Search Where is the more specific. If you want to search for a subject that you know isn't in the Mumblings (or just plain don't want to search through those) then why go through the forum?! Filter them out using the Forum functions.

Result Type:
-This is a simple tool. Are you looking for entire threads or individual posts? adjust this function accordingly.

Search posts from...:
-This handy little function lets you pick how far back in time you want thecomatorium to search for your phrase. If you're not picky (or if your search is already pretty clear) you can leave this baby alone. But if you want that extra clarity in your search, click the down arrow and choose how far back you want to go. Because hey, if you're looking for something you typed yesterday, why should you search in posts from half a year ago?

Search Where:
Search entire post or titles only?
-Are you looking to search for entire topics to span your precisely defined keywords or just a thread with a specific title? Leave the top option checked if you want to search for both topics and threads, or click the bottom if you know you'll be searching for a thread.

Sort results by...:
-This option allows you to pick how you want the results to be presented to you. This is another function for picky people. Arrange your results by Last Posting Date, Number of Replies, Poster Name, Forum Name.

Ascending order or Descending ordeer
-The descending option will be checked. Leaving the Sort By option on "Last posting date" and "descending" checked will tell thcomatorium to allow you to view results with the most recent on top.
Options involving letters will return A-Z results with "ascending" checked, while checking "descending" will give you Z-A results.

--SEARCH!
-There! You've scanned all the available ways of narrowing a search, so it's time to click that button and get your results! (This message brought to you by the letter e and the number 2.71828183)

when I use the search function I stop breathing and it's like being illuminated by a lamp, as a nebulous cloud drifting around the chestnut kingdom in the summertime.

If you follow this guide, you can be like me and have mastered the search function, then you can find these groovy quotes through the vast depths of the archaic coma.

The way to avoid repetition is simple - use the search function. But to many people, the search page is a mysterious, horrifying place, much like Theory's vagina.

But I'm here to tell you, it doesn't have to be! The search button can be one of your best friends, and can actually serve more than one purpose, including:
  • finding threads on a specific subject.
  • finding threads where certain subjects have been mentioned.
  • finding a thread where you said something specific (when you can't remember what thread you said it in).
  • finding a thread where another member said something specific (when you can't remember what thread they said it in).
This function is much easier to use than it apparently seems to some people. First off, if you can't fill in every box, don't worry! none of these are mandatory except the first.

Search For Keywords:
-This is most important box, because it's where you type in the words you want to find. Most people don't know how to use it, though, even though the directions are right below (Enter a keyword or phrase to search by). use AND in between words you definitely want included in the search. if you're not sure, though, don't hesitate to put OR in between these words. that way, the site will look for one or the other. Generally, the more words you connect with AND, the better your search will be.

Search For an author (Member Name):
-Do you know who said the quote you're looking for? Well then, fill it in here! this is optional, however using this function, is usually a good idea if you don't want to be searching though inadmissible posts. make sure you select Match Exact Name.

Forum and Category:
-Search Where is the more specific. If you want to search for a subject that you know isn't in the Mumblings (or just plain don't want to search through those) then why go through the forum?! Filter them out using the Forum functions.

Result Type:
-This is a simple tool. Are you looking for entire threads or individual posts? adjust this function accordingly.

Search posts from...:
-This handy little function lets you pick how far back in time you want thecomatorium to search for your phrase. If you're not picky (or if your search is already pretty clear) you can leave this baby alone. But if you want that extra clarity in your search, click the down arrow and choose how far back you want to go. Because hey, if you're looking for something you typed yesterday, why should you search in posts from half a year ago?

Search Where:
Search entire post or titles only?
-Are you looking to search for entire topics to span your precisely defined keywords or just a thread with a specific title? Leave the top option checked if you want to search for both topics and threads, or click the bottom if you know you'll be searching for a thread.

Sort results by...:
-This option allows you to pick how you want the results to be presented to you. This is another function for picky people. Arrange your results by Last Posting Date, Number of Replies, Poster Name, Forum Name.

Ascending order or Descending ordeer
-The descending option will be checked. Leaving the Sort By option on "Last posting date" and "descending" checked will tell thcomatorium to allow you to view results with the most recent on top.
Options involving letters will return A-Z results with "ascending" checked, while checking "descending" will give you Z-A results.

--SEARCH!
-There! You've scanned all the available ways of narrowing a search, so it's time to click that button and get your results through the vast depths of the archaic coma! (This message brought to you by the letter e and the number 2.71828183)

#3 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:51 AM

The search function has been updated!

Now, when you click on the search function, which is located here

Posted Image

a small window pops up, which looks like this:

Posted Image

It's all new, and all exciting!

Now, you can quickly do a search of the Coma (much like you'd do a search of the internet on Google or a similar search engine) quickly and easily, by typing in the keywords you want to search for!

If you click on "More Search Options" it will bring you to the page that soundcheck and cybrid have outlined above! It's so great, I've got goosebumps!

#4 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7088 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 17 September 2007 - 07:34 PM

The most useful thing to do is use the + sign infront of key words. Iv been doing that as long as I can remember and it really helps making find things easier.

Lets say you want to find a thread or post about John Frusciante playing at the Long Beach show with TMV.

I'd go Search > Advanced > "+Frusciante +Long +Beach"
I usually like to filter is by posts, or you can search just for Long Beach in title of thread etc.

Just something I thought may help.

#5 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7088 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

Learn to use it.

#6 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7088 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

The most useful thing to do is use the + sign infront of key words. Iv been doing that as long as I can remember and it really helps making find things easier.

Lets say you want to find a thread or post about John Frusciante playing at the Long Beach show with TMV.

I'd go Search > Advanced > "+Frusciante +Long +Beach"
I usually like to filter is by posts, or you can search just for Long Beach in title of thread etc.

Just something I thought may help.

Please, please, become friends with the search function before making a thread about your question/inquiry/research. It's quite useful. Threads in the main forum are invisible by default, so if you don't see it "visibled" within a day....that's a hint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users