IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Flaming Lips announce new album"The Terror" will drop April 1st

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4766 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:03 AM

There was an interview once where Cedric stated TMV was the "evil twin" of the Flaming Lips. Well, now that TMV is dead, it seems appropriate that Flaming Lips are expanding to embody both ends of the spectrum: Their new album, "The Terror", will feature a "bleak and disturbing" sound.

The Flaming Lips will release their thirteenth studio album titled, The Terror, on April 2nd in the US and April 1st in Europe.

It is comprised of nine original compositions that reflect a darker-hued spectrum than previous works, along with a more inward-looking lyrical perspective than one might expect — but then again, maybe not. It’s up to you, the listener, to decide what it means to you.

Wayne Coyne explains, “Why would we make this music that is The Terror — this bleak, disturbing record? I don’t really want to know the answer that I think is coming. Maybe this is the beginning of the answer.”

The Terror is a bold and expressive journey that has evolved over The Lips’ nearly 30-year tended garden of sonic delights that ebbs and flows with extraordinary splashes of darkness and light, pleasure and pain, chaos and order. As we’ve come to know The Flaming Lips, the real beauty lies with the knowledge that to expect the unexpected is all part of the manic fun.

“If we have love, give love and know love,” Coyne says, “we are truly alive and if there is no love, there would be no life. The Terror, we know now, that even without love, life goes on…we just go on…There is no mercy killing.”

The digital pre-order of The Terror will begin on Jan 29th, through the iTunes Store and other participating digital retailers. All pre-orders on iTunes will include an Instant gratification, Non-Album, Bonus Track titled, “Sun Blows Up Today.”

Sun Blows Up Today” is also the music bed for a very cool Hyundai TV commercial by INNOCEAN USA which also stars The Flaming Lips and will air during the Super Bowl on Feb 3rd.

Track listing for The Terror:
Look…The Sun Is Rising
Be Free, A Way
Try To Explain
You Lust
The Terror
You Are Alone
Butterfly, How Long It Takes To Die
Turning Violent
Always There…In Our Hearts

Non-Album, Bonus Track – digital ONLY:
Sun Blows Up Today

Details: http://flaminglips.com/news/s/1946/the-fla...april-2nd!/

#2 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

I'm excited. I really liked their last LP.

#3 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8521 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

good news.

#4 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8272 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

You can always count on the Lips to interest you in some way. Cool album! cant wait. it aligns with how i am feeling overall right now.

#5 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:53 PM

I heard this leaked.  Anybody listen?

#6 hypnotizingchickens

hypnotizingchickens

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Joined 08-June 09

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

it's definitely a change of pace from their latest output... etheral, but yet still very noisy. during certain songs I would forget I was listening to the Flaming Lips (in a good way), but I've only listened once so I dunno how else to describe it just yet.... but its definitely gonna grow on me even more, I can tell.

#7 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4766 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

I've been checking out Flaming Lips live footage on Youtube and I really think they've inherited the mantle from TMV of throwing concerts that resemble a shamanic journey. I mean, they've been doing this for awhile of course, but I think the past couple years especially they have really turned their live show into an extravaganza. Looking forward to hearing the new album.

#8 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

listened to the leak last night.  This album is AMAZING.    Seriously, one of the best things I've heard in years.   A real "listen lying down in the dark with good headphones"  type of album.

#9 Beckuto

Beckuto

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Joined 01-March 12

Posted 23 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

"The Terror" is a good experimental noisy trip, some Pink Floyd and Sigur Rós sonorities in it.

This band have the talent to change their sound and evolve with each of their albums. Great artists.

#10 SolarGambling69

SolarGambling69

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • Interests:Kantutan

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:21 PM

People don't like The Terror because it doesn't sound like The Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi.

To each his own, but I fucking love The Terror and Flaming Lips in general.

#11 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

People don't like The Terror because it doesn't sound like The Soft Bulletin or Yoshimi.

To each his own, but I fucking love The Terror and Flaming Lips in general.

I don't agree.  Embryonic sounds nothing like Yoshimi or Soft Bulletin but I like that album much more than The Terror.

#12 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:17 PM

So I've been aware for a long time that I dig Flaming Lips and want to get into them, but I've just never taken the time since they already have so much shit. Anyone got suggestions on a good starting point with these guys? 

#13 ----

----

• Members
  • 9186 posts
  • Joined 16-December 07

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

The Soft Bulletin, At War With the Mystics, and Yoshimi are probably the best to start with imo.

Also, I've had the "TMV/ Flaming Lips" push-pull idea for a while, anyone know where Cedric said this?

#14 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

what tre says^

these three albums are quintessential. i recently worked my way through all of their oeuvre, even the 6 hour song and the 24 hour song. and i will do it again later this month. they're great. their take on dark side of the moon kicks ass too. and a lot of that 24 hour song is really great. parts of the 6 hour song too. embryonic is one of their best albums imo.

and their new album, the terror, is also really awesome. it's like that TMV outtake ambuletz, but then a whole album of it!!

#15 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Twitter

Posted 09 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

Cool, thanks gents. I will check those out. 

Also tre, Cedric said it in this: 

#16 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1180 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

Damn I remember that interview with Cedric.  I was at that show at Sasquatch in '08.  I had binoculars and could see them all on the side of the stage watching Rodrigo Y Gabriela.  Unfortunately I wasn't able to stay for The Lips that year :( .  I did see them a year later and again at Sasquatch in '11.

#17 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6110 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Twitter

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:16 AM

That interview was the first time I heard Cedric speak, a few weeks after I started listening to TMV. Up until that point I expected him to have a Spanish accent and never talk at all to anyone, it was weird seeing him so personable. 

#18 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10329 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 17 April 2020 - 03:01 PM

Anyone still in the flaming lips? Their new album, deap lips, is super amazing. Just a genuinely awesome long jam of with the girls from deap valley. I didn't know them but i guess I'll have to check them out

#19 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8272 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:56 PM

I never heard that one... I skipped the terror, tried it but it never grabbed me. Oczy Mlody is a nearly perfect album and return to form/evolution of all they’ve done, and I think it’s probably a masterpiece, but I think that one that came out last year, Kings Mouth? I tried listening but I just couldn’t.... it seems like, very 80 or 90s of them and somehow the style seems like they regressed since the one before. I’ll check this out out no doubt though.

#20 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

love the terror, you should go back to it. they've dropped off since that imo - deap lips doesnt seem that appealing to me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users