IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#014) Cryptomnesia2009/05/05 - Zach Hill, Jonathan Hischke, Cedric, Juan

• Please log in to reply
2037 replies to this topic

#2001 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2944 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:18 AM

Cedric accomplished a magic trick.

#2002 logos

logos

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2857 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:06 AM

This is a pretty sorry album. Never understood the appeal

#2003 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4356 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:08 PM

This is a pretty sorry album. Never understood the appeal

Especially dont get people who say "THIS SHOULDVE BEEN RELEASED AS VOLTA"

#2004 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

Do you think Octa was a better choice then?

#2005 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10054 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:30 PM

Yeah

#2006 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:06 PM

k

#2007 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6861 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 10 June 2019 - 06:20 PM

I like Octa more too TBH. It was a nice breathe of fresh air after the craziness of Bedlam. Crypt is fun when I’m in the mood for a quick burst of insanity. But overall Octa has more of that epic full length album feel that I associate with Volta, especially with the songs flowing into each other.

#2008 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:13 PM

Fair play. I never really felt there was anything new on Octa, musically. Although there are some great tracks on it.

If I could of had it my way, they'd have released Crypto as a TMV EP (instead of Octo) and then got Cedric to write/sing lyrics on Xenophanes and then released that as a TMV LP. 

#2009 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10054 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

Nothing new on octa? What about the actual ballads: swbw, twilight, how about that electronic part in copernicus, how about the bluesy feel of luciforms. How about the minimalist but brilliant idea to follow up the instaneous chaos of bedlam with 2 mins of near silence and the ring of a single note connecting all the songs?

#2010 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4356 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

Octa is my favorite tmv album.

>nothing new on octa

>Xenophanes was rejected literally for being nothing new

#2011 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 11 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

Who cares which of these were "official TMV"? Pretty much every Volta fan was aware of the other releases and it was a known fact that the band was only allowed to release one record a year under the Volta name. Yet, we got three records of that caliber, Cryptomnesia, Octahedron and Xenophanes all within five months of each other. What a sick time that was!

#2012 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:32 PM

Nothing new on octa? What about the actual ballads: swbw, twilight, how about that electronic part in copernicus, how about the bluesy feel of luciforms. How about the minimalist but brilliant idea to follow up the instaneous chaos of bedlam with 2 mins of near silence and the ring of a single note connecting all the songs?

:lmao:

Completely agree with AW though - they were great times to be into TMV. Solar Gambling was also released around that time, and I enjoyed the shit out of that record.

#2013 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2944 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:14 PM

Octahedron is a breath of fresh air. Especially after Bedlam and Cryptomnesia. It’s calm, it’s spooky, it’s beautiful in parts, great hooks from Cedric, the electronic section in Copernicus was a nice left turn. The end of Twilight takes me to such a trippy place. Cotopaxi is still a fantastic single. I think Desperate Graves and Teflon are extremely underrated songs in their catalogue (everyone is really playing for the song, the melodies are quite strong, and they still have that slightly off, trippy feel that we associate with Volta).

#2014 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3274 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:46 AM

^ Nailed it

#2015 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10054 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Kindly point me towards previous tmv songs that went into these or suchlike directions?

#2016 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9069 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:14 PM

I'd much rather Cedric attempt to sing Since We've Been Wrong than Tuberculoids on the reunion tour

Cryptomnesia works great as a standalone record. The music doesnt really fit TMV style and I'm glad Zach wasn't encouraged to be part of the band because he went on to do much more interesting things.
Octahedron is a good album. I think works much better in the overall volta discography, plus it set the scene for Thomas being fired and Deantoni joining.

#2017 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3717 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 12 June 2019 - 01:49 PM

i kind of agree but part of me also thinks that maybe doing something similar to this production wise with deantoni could be cool, though he kind of accomplishes it himself without post production

#2018 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1546 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:14 PM

Kindly point me towards previous tmv songs that went into these or suchlike directions?

For ballads, I think Televators, Alsios Magnenennenea and God forbid, The Widow (possibly even Vermicide, to a degree) were done far better. I like SWBW but I'd argue the live bootleg version of SWBW is better than the LP version.  The 2 mins of near silence is just the other side of the '4 mins frogs intro' coin. 

#2019 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:06 PM

It's an old topic that we have discussed many times I guess. Octahedron would have worked better for me if :

- it had been split into two four songs EP : one with ballads and one with the simple (simpler than what they used to play) rock songs.

- it had been an acoustic album - I mean a real one.

- the single note that separate tracks would be removed because it's rather boring.

That being said, I really like the songs on this album cuz I'm a true fanboy. Especially Teflon, Halo of nembutals, Copernicus and Luciforms.

As for Crypto, even considering what Cedric said at the time, it's hard for me to consider it as a TMV album.

#2020 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5638 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:10 PM

I cannot express to you how much I fucking love that single note.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users