IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

RIP Ikey Owens

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#161 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3032 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 16 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Somehow I never bothered to check out FMA until today. Listening now to Control This, I quite like it.

Where can you listen to this? I'm in Germany so not that easy to buy it on CD.

Found it on The Pirate Bay. You can find a CD on eBay though, for a decent price.

#162 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

youtube

#163 R.I.P.TMV

R.I.P.TMV

custom skanxx here we gooo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5163 posts
  • Joined 01-September 13
  • Interests:quint4ever<3
  • Twitter

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:40 PM

Grooveshark

#164 danielj

danielj

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Joined 08-November 09

Posted 16 October 2014 - 10:03 PM

What a shame.  I always felt like Ikey's departure was the death knell for TMV.  RIP.  

#165 Counting The Toll

Counting The Toll

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:17 PM

Ikey was going to produce my debut studio record with the engineer who did Sublime's first couple records. We had talked a few times about it, and he was going to guide me into becoming a professional musician. I feel like I lost the most down to Earth soul and mentor in the world when I heard about this :*( :sad:  I'm soooooooooo sad... Totally tragic

#166 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:40 PM

Ikey was going to produce my debut studio record with the engineer who did Sublime's first couple records. We had talked a few times about it, and he was going to guide me into becoming a professional musician. I feel like I lost the most down to Earth soul and mentor in the world when I heard about this :*( :sad: I'm soooooooooo sad... Totally tragic

Whoa! That sucks

#167 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 17 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Nice tribute: http://cultmontreal....rip-ikey-owens/

#168 inmusicutrust

inmusicutrust

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 11-November 07

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:20 AM

Ikey was going to produce my debut studio record with the engineer who did Sublime's first couple records. We had talked a few times about it, and he was going to guide me into becoming a professional musician. I feel like I lost the most down to Earth soul and mentor in the world when I heard about this :*( :sad: I'm soooooooooo sad... Totally tragic

Dude loved music, loved playing it and loved being a part of it, it's stuff like this, the influence and impact he had that hurts the most to see lost.

#169 GSDragon

GSDragon

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 21 posts
  • Joined 26-April 14

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

I guess I've come in a bit late, but I just heard the news too.
Wow, how horrible.
RIP Ikey, loved your psychedelic keyboard wailings mate - the whole music world is mourning.

#170 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 17 October 2014 - 02:39 PM

Very nice indeed

#171 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

Also one of the late to all this, but.. Man, this is so sad. RIP Ikey. You will not be forgotten by us TMV fans, ever.

#172 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2793 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:29 AM

i will say, crazy as it is whenever volta shows up on shuffle on the iphone at work and it's one of the organ heavy songs (meccamputechture, basically all of scabdates, etc.) i've found myself getting a big grin on my face because while it's sad he's gone, the great thing about musicians is you still have the tunes and with ikey you can still feel it in every recording how much of his soul he was putting into it.

He's one of those guys that even if you're talking to someone who doesn't play keys, you should show them his stuff to get people to understand what it is to play with real SOUL, to really throw yourself into it.  You can hear it in people like ikey, that passion that doesn't always come through with people who are so obsessed with technicalities or perfection.  Sad though still to lose one of the few great organ players on the planet, i'll give the man this: he had a tone that anyone who's heard him before could easily pick out of a crowd.  

#173 Krystofer Rodriguez-Lopez

Krystofer Rodriguez-Lopez

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 14-May 07

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:56 AM

xx - adding a photo to this board is like using fucking AOL

#174 Mothersky

Mothersky

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Joined 09-April 07

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Damn... I didn't find out about this until earlier today. God damn, he was one of the best qualities to their very best work. I guess I'll be looking at some old videos in remembrance tonight.

#175 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7671 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 18 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

i will say, crazy as it is whenever volta shows up on shuffle on the iphone at work and it's one of the organ heavy songs (meccamputechture, basically all of scabdates, etc.) i've found myself getting a big grin on my face because while it's sad he's gone, the great thing about musicians is you still have the tunes and with ikey you can still feel it in every recording how much of his soul he was putting into it.

He's one of those guys that even if you're talking to someone who doesn't play keys, you should show them his stuff to get people to understand what it is to play with real SOUL, to really throw yourself into it.  You can hear it in people like ikey, that passion that doesn't always come through with people who are so obsessed with technicalities or perfection.  Sad though still to lose one of the few great organ players on the planet, i'll give the man this: he had a tone that anyone who's heard him before could easily pick out of a crowd.  

That's a great reaction! That's beautiful! :smile:

And I agree about the tone! When he played that delay thing in the Jack White rig video, it really struck me how much it was his!

How technically proficient would you musical nerds say he was, though? Not that it matters, dude had soul. Just interested!

#176 ryake

ryake

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Joined 21-March 05

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

Mastodon played in Dallas last night and after the show played Pendulous Skin over the PA and dedicated it to Ikey. Such an awesome song

#177 Flavior

Flavior

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts
  • Joined 14-September 07

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:03 AM

They had a tribute set to Ikey at the Low End Theory here in LA. They even played two Volta songs (Inertiatic and the Soft Machine cover) 

It was pretty badass. RIP Ikey, Very sad news 

#178 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:59 AM

They had a tribute set to Ikey at the Low End Theory here in LA. They even played two Volta songs (Inertiatic and the Soft Machine cover)

It was pretty badass. RIP Ikey, Very sad news

Very cool! LET seems to be a tight, friendly community.

#179 pleather

pleather

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Any video of "Memories"?

#180 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate