IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

TMV history spreadsheet

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 21 April 2020 - 02:38 AM

that asilos recording is awesome, thanks!

#62 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6268 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:08 AM

I'm not having that criticism of the BBC, sorry chap.

#63 Tommo Chocolate

Tommo Chocolate

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 27-April 08

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

I'm not having that criticism of the BBC, sorry chap.

Haha, don't get me wrong, I'm very fond of the BBC, and a big fan! In fact one of their endearing features is their inconsistent production values. But in this case it led to me not making any effort to keep those tracks...

#64 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:48 PM

Here's a more complete (+4 songs) link than the MEGA one on the spreadsheet: http://forum.thecoma...o_sessions.mp3/ for the "Summer Demos"

Additionally, with some parts being exactly the same as on the album, it sounds more like rough mixes / edits of the actual recording sessions rather than just "demos". As usual, its mostly vocals that differs.

Oddly enough, the encoding/metadata varies from file to file - Drunkship, Inertiatic and Roulette are 128 kpbs; while Eriatarka, Eunuch Provocateur and Apparatus are 160 kbps, Cerpin Taxt is VBR ~ 170 kbps and Cicatriz is 192 kbps, suggesting that its multiple sources tied together.
Encoding quality also varies greatly (just listen to Cerpin Taxt vs Drunkship)

Anyone has any more information on those? Leak source, date, etc.?

Shame that's its all lossy though, it sounds so good.

The confusion in your post is exactly why I put in that MEGA link instead of the mixed-up coma folder. Only the 4 tracks are the actual demos from summer 2002, the other ones are early mixes from the actual album sessions.

Check out this release: https://www.discogs....release/4726690 (probably the source for Eriatarka, Eunuch, Apparatus @ 128kbps)

"Rough", as in "Rough Mix" refers to an early mix during the album sessions. The recorded notes are the same, but the sound differs or and the track isn't complete yet. Demos are part of the pre-production process before a band enters the studio. They said there were 2 months of pre-production with Rick Rubin before their early Oct 02 tour after which they entered the studio. That's when the "summer demos" likely were recorded and because of previous statements about Ikey and Eva, it's safe to assume Ralph Jasso and Linda Good are the performers on those. Eunuch and Concertina were recorded during the DITC sessions, but not released. I don't know the exact origin of all those tracks.

There's evidence (#1, #2) there was a leak of DITC that made the rounds among fans as early as Feb 2003(!). I remember reading that leak was different from the released version in terms of mastering. Does anybody know more about this?

Edit
While browsing the Inertiatic board, I came across this post claiming there were more shows in November 2001 after the tour with The Anniversary. I have seen the poster for the Nov 17th and 18th dates of Les Savy Fav/Ugly Casanova/Defacto before, which happened after TMV played their last show w/ The Anniversary at the same venue on Nov 16th. There's a TMV bootleg dated 2001-11-18 floating around, I assumed it was a mistake and that it's from Nov 16th, but maybe they just played as TMV. Further Ugly Casanova dates on setlist.fm coincide with the Inertiatic boards user's dates and the known recording of TMV at the Bottom Of The Hill. I wonder if TMV played all these shows.

Edit2:
Portland show confirmed, looks like they joined that tour. Will update list.

Ah thanks!
This makes more sense, listening to every track cleary shows that indeed your MEGA link contains only demos, with the coma folder 4 extra tracks being rough mixes of the actual album (I found everything to really breathe a lot more than on the final versions).

The link of the promo release definitely fits - with "Drunkship Of Lanterns (Final Master 03)" probably being the version we have on the album.

It raises the question about the 4 other tracks though: Demos for Inertiatic ESP and Roulette Dares and rough mixes of Cicatriz ESP and Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

Do you have a source for the recording period stated on the document? (10/2002 - 01/2003)

#65 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:01 AM

It raises the question about the 4 other tracks though: Demos for Inertiatic ESP and Roulette Dares and rough mixes of Cicatriz ESP and Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt.

There's a pre-release/unfinished mix version of DITC in circulation. It's the whole album minus Eriatarka and it has the same Cicatriz, Veil, as well as the "Rough 02" Apparatus. Possibly that's what leaked in Feb 2003.

Do you have a source for the recording period stated on the document? (10/2002 - 01/2003)

They said in the Oct 2002 Interview vid I linked above that they are entering the studio right after that string of shows, then some fan got it straight from the horses mouth at the De Facto show in San Diego that the album was pretty much done.

#66 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 27 April 2020 - 08:41 PM

There's a pre-release/unfinished mix version of DITC in circulation. It's the whole album minus Eriatarka and it has the same Cicatriz, Veil, as well as the "Rough 02" Apparatus. Possibly that's what leaked in Feb 2003. 

Did not know that! By chance do you have a copy of this? In lossless format ..?

#67 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 28 April 2020 - 12:52 AM

Time for some clarity.

There's a version of DITC labled De-Loused in the Comatorium-AD.

Here's the info file:

FNT is fucking proud to present

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium

Artist:      The Mars Volta
         Album:       De-Loused in the Comatorium
         Label:       Universal
         Genre:       Rock
         Rip date:    May-11-2003
         Street date: Jun-24-2003
         Size:        102,9 MB
         Type:        Album
         Quality:     192 kbps / 44.1kHz / Joint-Stereo

The advance promotional copy of the new Mars Volta.
         It obviously isn't retail since there's a lot of
         demos here but this is the official tracklist (plus
         some that might be left off, I'm not sure).

01. televators                                      [06:24]
        02. this apparatus must be unearthed (album demo)   [04:48]
        03. eriatarka                                       [05:34]
        04. cicatriz album                                  [12:36]
        05. drunkship of lanterns                           [07:34]
        06. take the veil cerpintax                         [08:48]
        07. inertiatic esp                                  [06:08]
        08. ambuletz                                        [07:03]
        09. plague upon your hissing                        [04:40]
        10. cicatriz (demo)                                 [04:08]
        11. haunt of the roulette dares                     [07:10]

74:53 min

FNT keeps up the hard work and standard to supply the scene with
        quality punk, rock, metal, hardcore, indie releases. We do it for
        fun and competion with the quality groups out there.

We are always looking for people who can help us when it comes to
        keeping up our quality.

Contact us if you

+ can get promos/pre street releases

We're not looking for anything else, thanks.

The ID3 tag says -=- team || faint -=-, could very well be "FNT". The info file corresponds with the files. Here's what they are:

01. televators [06:24] -> same musical content as the "(edit/demo) no percussion" version, but with 12 additional seconds of ambience after the first animal noise and unmastered
02. this apparatus must be unearthed (album demo) [04:48] -> same as "(rough 02)" -> early mix/unmastered DITC version
03. eriatarka [05:34] -> same as "(demo 02)" -> summer demo
04. cicatriz album [12:36] -> same one that is in this folder -> early mix/unmastered DITC version

05. drunkship of lanterns [07:34] -> same as "(final master 03)" -> basically album version, but with tira me glued to the beginning and without the outro noise
06. take the veil cerpintax [08:48] -> same early mix/unmastered version that is in this folder
07. inertiatic esp [06:08] -> early mix/unmastered DITC version (added Son Et Lumiere)
08. ambuletz [07:03] -> same as GSL50 promo
09. plague upon your hissing [04:40] -> same version that is in this folder
10. cicatriz (demo) [04:08] -> 2001 demo w/ Blake, but different (louder) master than this one!
11. haunt of the roulette dares [07:10] -> early mix/unmastered DITC version (not 2001 demo!)

So this CD not only has plague and all those "early mix/unmastered", or "rough 02-sounding", versions of DITC songs hosted on the coma in the "summer demos" folder, but additional "rough mix" versions of Inertiatic ESP and Roulette Dares! I believe it's the source of the former ones. How long this CD was making its rounds before the FNT rip in May 2003 is unclear.

Somebody sent me a version of DITC a few days ago labled "De-Loused In The Comatorium (Pre-Release, unfinished mix)", but it's just all the "early mix/unmastered" versions from the advanced copy, including "final master 03" drunkship and "no percussion" televators. I don't believe it was an actual CD, probably just compiled by some fan from the DITC-AD version.

Summery of all tracks, their sources & highest available quality as of now:

Summer Demos:

Inertiatic -> ??? / 128kbps

Roulette -> ??? / 128kbps

Drunkship -> Promo EP / FLAC

Eriatarka -> Promo EP & DITC-AD / FLAC

confirmed "Rough 02":

This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed -> Promo EP & DITC-AD / FLAC

Eunuch Provocateur (Post-Tremulant) -> Promo EP / FLAC

presumed "Rough 02":

Cicatriz ESP -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Inertiatic ESP -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Plague Upon Your Hissing -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Roulette Dares -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Televators (no percussion edit) -> DITC-AD / 192kbps

Televators (mastered, shortened no percussion edit) -> ??? / 192kbps

Concertina (Post-Tremulant) -> ??? / 320kbps

confirmed "Final Master 03"

Drunkship Of Lanterns (w/ Tira Me... & abrupt ending) -> Promo EP & DITC-AD / FLAC

#68 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 28 April 2020 - 04:31 AM

wow, awesome! i would love to know how you tracked down this obscure promo rip. either way, well done and thanks :)

i'm comfortable believing all that. however, i think that it makes sense to differentiate between 'Rough 02' and 'Demo 02', like the 5 song Deloused promo does. to me, 'Rough 02' means 'rough mixes, done in 2002, of songs recorded during the Deloused sessions at the Mansion', and 'Demo 02' means 'demos recorded in 2002, not necessarily (and perhaps not likely) at the Mansion, and not made of any audio material that appears on Deloused'. with that in mind, i'd say that Deloused AD contains mostly 'Rough 02' tracks, with exceptions being:

03. Eriatarka; it's solidly 'Demo 02', according to the 5 song promo CD

05. Drunkship; final master 03

08. Ambuletz; final master 03?

10. Cicatriz (demo); its origin is unknown to me, although i bet that this is the same as a 4m01s mp3 i've got called 'Cicatrix'

in other words, all of the versions that sound like alternate/unfinished mixes are Rough 02 mixes. the Rough 02 batch of songs includes Eunuch Provocateur, according to the 5 song promo. speaking personally, i would include Plague and Concertina "post-Tremulant" in the Rough 02 batch, because the sound profiles fit.

as for the Demo 02 batch, it's just Eriatarka and Drunkship, as far as we know.

that leaves some odds and ends, like:

* Cicatriz - 4m08s

* Roulette Dares - 6m13s - for some reason, my mp3 is labeled 'Roulette Dares (demo 1)'

those versions of Cicatriz and Roulette Dares sound like they date to really early in the band's history. the 4 minute Cicatriz has that groovy section towards the end. the 6m13s Roulette Dares has Omar playing one note flat (compared to the canonical version) in the main Roulette Dares verse riff (he used to play it live that way, too), and the drum and bass section doesn't sound at all like any other known recorded version of Roulette Dares; this version of Roulette Dares also features a keyboard melody (right at the 3 minute mark, "Cranial bleeding, leeches train the living") that only otherwise appears in the Rough 02 version of Roulette Dares.

and then there's these two, which sound like demos that predate the De-loused sessions, but whose origins are unknown to me. perhaps these are the ones which rose suggests are truly Summer 02 demos, along with Eriatarka and Drunkship?

* Inertiatic - 6m19s - seems to feature the same ambient intro as the album version.

* Roulette Dares - 6m42s

oh, and is there ALSO a shorter version of Apparatus floating around out there somewhere?

#69 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 28 April 2020 - 06:21 AM

Hola que tal? Soy yo de nuevo, aqui mi aporte a esto:
- Likely recording timeframes of Omar / Cedric solo projects and collaborations with other artists

Here are some collabs with other artists

And i find this, probably we can check this out later

Saludos

#70 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:59 AM

wow, awesome! i would love to know how you tracked down this obscure promo rip. either way, well done and thanks :)

Searched for Plague Upon Your Hissing on Soulseek and looked for suspicious folders.

i'm comfortable believing all that. however, i think that it makes sense to differentiate between 'Rough 02' and 'Demo 02', like the 5 song Deloused promo does. to me, 'Rough 02' means 'rough mixes, done in 2002, of songs recorded during the Deloused sessions at the Mansion', and 'Demo 02' means 'demos recorded in 2002, not necessarily (and perhaps not likely) at the Mansion, and not made of any audio material that appears on Deloused'. with that in mind,

Umm, isn't this exactly what I've done here and said earlier?

Ambuletz wasn't recorded with the other tracks. According to the bonus track version of DITC it was recorded at Anikulapo, their living/rehearsal space in Long Beach. Presumably after the album sessions.

10. Cicatriz (demo); its origin is unknown to me, although i bet that this is the same as a 4m01s mp3 i've got called 'Cicatrix'

As I said in my post, it's the 2001 demo aka. 'Cicatrix', but with a different, louder master than the one shared online in 2001.

in other words, all of the versions that sound like alternate/unfinished mixes are Rough 02 mixes. the Rough 02 batch of songs includes Eunuch Provocateur, according to the 5 song promo. speaking personally, i would include Plague and Concertina "post-Tremulant" in the Rough 02 batch, because the sound profiles fit.

I was thinking about putting them all into the same category, but then the nerd in me insisted to differentiate between confirmed and presumed "rough 02" versions, because strictly speaking we don't know if the presumed ones are from the same stage of production as the confirmed ones. The Inertiatic one sounds very similar to the album version, just unmastered. Roulette Dares is similar, but still has a different guitar solo. There's something about the Post-Tremulant Concertina that makes it sound slightly different to my ears. But I might be just listening to the fan-remastered one that is hosted on the coma. Then there's this weird mastered and shortened version of Televators whose origin I don't understand. Btw, on a different version of the 5 song promo labled "Demos from the forthcoming debut - album", the two "rough 02" tracks are labled "December roughs". See here.

* Cicatriz - 4m08s
* Roulette Dares - 6m13s - for some reason, my mp3 is labeled 'Roulette Dares (demo 1)'

those versions of Cicatriz and Roulette Dares sound like they date to really early in the band's history. the 4 minute Cicatriz has that groovy section towards the end. the 6m13s Roulette Dares has Omar playing one note flat (compared to the canonical version) in the main Roulette Dares verse riff (he used to play it live that way, too), and the drum and bass section doesn't sound at all like any other known recorded version of Roulette Dares; this version of Roulette Dares also features a keyboard melody (right at the 3 minute mark, "Cranial bleeding, leeches train the living") that only otherwise appears in the Rough 02 version of Roulette Dares.

Yup, the Alex Newport recorded ones from spring 2001.

and then there's these two, which sound like demos that predate the De-loused sessions, but whose origins are unknown to me. perhaps these are the ones which rose suggests are truly Summer 02 demos, along with Eriatarka and Drunkship?
* Inertiatic - 6m19s - seems to feature the same ambient intro as the album version.
* Roulette Dares - 6m42s

Yup, we don't know the source for these two. They definitely stem from the same recording session as "demo 02". Same overall sound.

oh, and is there ALSO a shorter version of Apparatus floating around out there somewhere?

Probably just a "radio edit", but would love to hear it.

#71 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:05 AM

Hola que tal? Soy yo de nuevo, aqui mi aporte a esto:
- Likely recording timeframes of Omar / Cedric solo projects and collaborations with other artists

Here are some collabs with other artists

And i find this, probably we can check this out later

Saludos

Good idea, gracias! I'll try to figure out likely recording dates for those.

There's also https://en.wikipedia...pez_filmography

It claims this video was directed by Omar:

#72 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 28 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

i'm comfortable believing all that. however, i think that it makes sense to differentiate between 'Rough 02' and 'Demo 02', like the 5 song Deloused promo does. to me, 'Rough 02' means 'rough mixes, done in 2002, of songs recorded during the Deloused sessions at the Mansion', and 'Demo 02' means 'demos recorded in 2002, not necessarily (and perhaps not likely) at the Mansion, and not made of any audio material that appears on Deloused'. with that in mind,

Umm, isn't this exactly what I've done here and said earlier?

oh yeah, you're right. i think i misread one 'Rough 02' as 'Demo 02' in your post before before mine, and proceeded to spin off thinking that i had something new and important to say. you'd covered it already. 

#73 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:19 AM

i'm comfortable believing all that. however, i think that it makes sense to differentiate between 'Rough 02' and 'Demo 02', like the 5 song Deloused promo does. to me, 'Rough 02' means 'rough mixes, done in 2002, of songs recorded during the Deloused sessions at the Mansion', and 'Demo 02' means 'demos recorded in 2002, not necessarily (and perhaps not likely) at the Mansion, and not made of any audio material that appears on Deloused'. with that in mind, i'd say that Deloused AD contains mostly 'Rough 02' tracks, with exceptions being:

03. Eriatarka; it's solidly 'Demo 02', according to the 5 song promo CD

05. Drunkship; final master 03

as for the Demo 02 batch, it's just Eriatarka and Drunkship, as far as we know.

* Cicatriz - 4m08s

* Roulette Dares - 6m42s

There are 4 pre-Deloused releases (excluding Tremulant)

1) 2 song demo with Blake Flemming (Roulette Dares and Cicatrix)

2) Summer demo session (Drunkship, Eriatarka, Inertiatic ESP, Roulette)

3. Demo EP (Apparatus, 2 Drunkships, Eunuch, Eriatarka)

4. Rough mix, pre-release (whole album minus Eriatarka)

There is also Plague Upon and and a rerecord of Concertina.  Cedric has alluded that they redid Cut That City as well, but that never leaked.  

I'm hoping I'm correct, been a a minute since I've gone through this stuff.

#74 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:38 AM

Also, do we have a setlist for the first few Omar/Noct shows?  They tested a few tracks like Lapochka and Noctourniquet early on

#75 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4006 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:22 AM

Also, do we have a setlist for the first few Omar/Noct shows?  They tested a few tracks like Lapochka and Noctourniquet early on

they should be in the threads but IIRC lapochka was usually 4th and noct was maybe 2nd from last? noct->trinkets->moloch?

#76 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 29 April 2020 - 10:13 AM

There is also Plague Upon and and a rerecord of Concertina. Cedric has alluded that they redid Cut That City as well, but that never leaked.

Read my post.
I believe that the „rough mix minus eriatarka“ never existed as a source, but was compiled from the fnt leak that had all the tracks + Plague Upon Your Hissing and some more. It‘s even faulty, because Drunkship isn‘t a rough, but the final mix (just like the one on the fnt leak).

Post-Tremulant Concertina + Inertiatic & Roulette summer demos are the ones we don‘t know the sources of.

(there's the unmastered Tremulant Concertina that was released online before Tremulant came out and the unreleased Tremulant sessions Inertiatic ESP (according to Alex Newport) aswell)

#77 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:00 PM

There is also Plague Upon and and a rerecord of Concertina. Cedric has alluded that they redid Cut That City as well, but that never leaked.

Read my post.
I believe that the „rough mix minus eriatarka“ never existed as a source, but was compiled from the fnt leak that had all the tracks + Plague Upon Your Hissing and some more. It‘s even faulty, because Drunkship isn‘t a rough, but the final mix (just like the one on the fnt leak).

Post-Tremulant Concertina + Inertiatic & Roulette summer demos are the ones we don‘t know the sources of.

(there's the unmastered Tremulant Concertina that was released online before Tremulant came out and the unreleased Tremulant sessions Inertiatic ESP (according to Alex Newport) aswell)

I'll have to relisten to those and compare. You may be right.  If so that's pretty interesting.

Yes there is an unmastered Concertina.  I have it.  Never heard of a tremulant session Intertiatic, but considering its use in the setlist it makes sense.

#78 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 06 May 2020 - 04:11 PM

Hola a todos, encontre un video de Ana Gabriel en el que participa Omar como guitarrista en 2017, es de American Epic Sessions incluso aca encontré mas info que se puede agregar: 

https://en.wikipedia...Other_musicians

Y aca el tease:

https://twitter.com/...5538176?lang=es

#79 Somniloquist

Somniloquist

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined 08-February 18
  • Interests:Role playing, occasional video game activity, music. That's it! One day, I will be cultured.

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

That looks really interesting. I haven't been able to find it streaming for free yet, but for people in the US who want to donate to PBS, the entire program seems to be streaming here. I'm assuming it's US only, anyway. Looks like it's only $5 a month.

#80 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:07 AM

Yo tengo el video lo logre descargar hace tiempo, aca dejo el enlace 

https://mega.nz/file...7YUfQzk4KuA8VMM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users