IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Marble Shrineits going well

• Please log in to reply
375 replies to this topic

#1 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7104 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

As you may know The Marble Shrine, a dedicated live TMV website, is finally getting started after two years of on/off.

This thread enlists your help to fulfill the crux of the site, the database. However its in Announce (non-public thread) because the info requires a bit more know, and its more safe as oppose to letting public (non-members) go at it (may make mistakes etc.)

So I want to make this thread to be a completely transparent process of open dialogue of how you can contribute to TMS. Basically theres alot to go into making a site of the caliber that we are striving for. So, if you have skills in designing, database stuff, tracker ideas, lets talk. I used to think it would be a select few doing it, but honestly the more the merrier and bounce ideas HELP EACH OTHER OUT.

Maybe you know how to design a googlemap tour itinerary interphase to use? Maybe your good programming streaming feeds?

Lets talk.

Oh and for those "guests" reading this, if you are interested or can help, then perhaps this is a great time to sign up.

#2 JetLaggedAndroid

JetLaggedAndroid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:39 AM

I have some great ideas that I think could be useful for design integration to display the list, I'll code some HTML, and make some place images and post a screen shot to see the response.
:-)

#3 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08
  • Interests:The Secret of The Widow

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:53 PM

I have some great ideas that I think could be useful for design integration to display the list, I'll code some HTML, and make some place images and post a screen shot to see the response.
:-)

Are you familiar with CSS? It would be nice to do all this with divs/classes, so that we can separate the presentation from the logic as much as possible.

We also want to look into getting a BT tracker going... this page lists a few ("TBsource" sounds interesting); if anyone has experience with any of them, please post.

#4 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

I run a little tracker on my label website using phpbttracker+: http://phpbttrkplus.sourceforge.net/

Its simple to set up and fully-functional.

All we'd need to do is integrate that code into the site, unless we want more user information to be displayed like a private tracker. (Not sure if I'd want to log that sort of data. I think seeds and peers should be completely anonymous. Besides, the torrents themseleves do not need to be comment/tag/whatever-able, because that's what the site will provide anyways.)

#5 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7104 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:18 PM

I run a little tracker on my label website using phpbttracker+: http://phpbttrkplus.sourceforge.net/

Its simple to set up and fully-functional.

All we'd need to do is integrate that code into the site, unless we want more user information to be displayed like a private tracker. (Not sure if I'd want to log that sort of data. I think seeds and peers should be completely anonymous. Besides, the torrents themseleves do not need to be comment/tag/whatever-able, because that's what the site will provide anyways.)

I disagree sir. I think it should be visible, that way you can see when a user is leeching onto 3957 different shows at once or you can see who's a beast at uploading alot of shows and give them proper thanks and credit.

I don't believe in ratio requirements...but I do believe in visible users on the tracker.

#6 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

I think it should be visible, that way you can see when a user is leeching onto 3957 different shows at once or you can see who's a beast at uploading alot of shows and give them proper thanks and credit.

I don't believe in ratio requirements...but I do believe in visible users on the tracker.

Second this, for exactly the same reasons.

#7 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

I'm just saying that the available tracker interfaces are really bloated compared to what we want. We could potentially:

1) Log the user IP at log-in.
2) Cross-examine their last IP with the IPs of active torrents on the tracker.
3) Display these in a simple table on the user profile. (torrent name, their current rate, their current percent, link to the show)
4) This could be completely serverside with no information logged, keeping the data private.

We don't even need a fully-fledged tracker to do that BECAUSE we do not even need a tracker interface or userlist; each show page could potentially have the stats for its respective torrent on its own page, complete with seeds, peers, and a download link to the torrent.

As long as we have a tracker running in the background, we can easily pull whatever information we need through MySQL.

EDIT: >:o

#8 JetLaggedAndroid

JetLaggedAndroid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:32 PM

Posted Image

So basically, my idea was, creating a list with expandable content. Within the expandable content, you can rate for the quality of the bootleg, the band's performance, and the average overall rating.

If it would be easy, you can also include taper information such as the equipment used to tape the Bootleg, where available.

And you could also make it where people can search within a list of bootlegs, for specific songs, and also make it where people can sort the list by the rating of bootleg, or date of concert.

I don't know, just let me know what you think.

#9 Animalitia

Animalitia

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Joined 10-August 08

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

So basically, my idea was, creating a list with expandable content. Within the expandable content, you can rate for the quality of the bootleg, the band's performance, and the average overall rating.

If it would be easy, you can also include taper information such as the equipment used to tape the Bootleg, where available.

And you could also make it where people can search within a list of bootlegs, for specific songs, and also make it where people can sort the list by the rating of bootleg, or date of concert.

That looks and sounds awesome.

#10 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

Posted Image

Looks nice; how would the ratings display work? The stars will show the average rating, and the user could click on one to submit their personal rating, but would there be a way to see if you'd already rated it?

#11 JetLaggedAndroid

JetLaggedAndroid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

Man, I didn't think anyone would ask that question,so I didn't put a solution in there, but I left room next to the rating system, where I could put in gray text, already rated. Any other things you guys could think would be a good addition to that?

#12 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:13 AM

I dig that layout a lot. I actually planned ahead and integrated a rating system into our database just for that, so its perfect.

Instead of "Already Rated" you could have the star amount they rated for, with a link underneath it saying "remove rating" in case a user changes their mind. Or we could take that a step further and make an empty rating blank stars, a certain amount when a user has already rated, and if they wish to change their rating they can jsut click on the new star (you know, with fancy rollovers).

Would it be alright to plan for seeds and leachers amounts underneath the download link if the concert is available as a torrent?

EDIT: OH, I missed the average rating part of that question. Maybe the stars themselves would be the average rating, but then the rollovers/overlaying stars could be the user ratings? You know, like integrate it into one view?

#13 JetLaggedAndroid

JetLaggedAndroid

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:20 AM

Yeah, I can do that, I believe I was informed you'll be one of the main database programmers, if that is so, would you like me to send to you the html and css for that when I'm finished so you can use it?

EDIT: Also, the bootlegs will be on the server, in addition to torrents right?

Sorry, at work, on my phone, so this is kina tedious lol.

#14 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:55 AM

Actually, pm me with a desired username and password and in return I'll hook you up with coding access. I wrote a little program that lets you edit and create php/html/txt/css/etc. files on the server today so that we don't have to deal with ftp shit.

#15 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:19 AM

Actually, pm me with a desired username and password and in return I'll hook you up with coding access. I wrote a little program that lets you edit and create php/html/txt/css/etc. files on the server today so that we don't have to deal with ftp shit.

Flip wisely mentioned that it would be a great thing to get this up and running before the tour starts; could we compile a list of goals to accomplish before that time?

- We will definitely have a complete, searchable database of shows.

- We could provide links to direct downloads (depending on how much bandwidth we can get), and get a tracker up and running, and integrate links to them from a show's main page

- We need to get user signup/authentication/etc. integrated. There must be some good open source PHP packages to do this, right?

- Integrate ratings/comments for any given show. I was just browsing the database schema used by phpbb to accomplish this sort of thing; maybe we could find a plug-and-play solution, or maybe just code up our own simplified version.

Do these seem reasonable? Any other obvious needs?

#16 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7104 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

^ that and the aesthetic part of it.

If anyone wants to take a stab at a nice intro image of the band performing/photoshopped together whatever you wanna do.."The Marble Shrine" flash-based?even?..go for it!

Also it'd be cool to have various eras and broke down into further eras.

So from the main site you login and the default images at this point will be "current" era (Omar and Ced flashy shirt promo pics?). And then lets say you want to browse in on 2003. So you click that year to expand, the theme (tarsiers) and images (2003 pics) all become relevant to the pertaining period you clicked on.

Lets say you want to browse the early Spring 2003 tour, then we'll need background pics of that era (Omar, Jon, Cedric ripped shirt, Jason, Ikey wailing away at those small clubs).
Or if you want to go all way into fall 2003 the images will adjust accordingly (maybe that one with that lineup leaning against the hedges).

So basically we need all these combinations of drawn up images put together. The sooner we can start on those, the better.

<gona PM betweenthelines so she can be the "pic" provider>

#17 celestial

celestial

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 22-June 06

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:49 AM

I have a handful of handmade scripts for all of that userbase/comments/ratings schnitt laying around from my other projects that I could plug in (at least as templates) so I could roll out the user signup and login pages pretty quickly. Besides, I don't have a job and school has been out so I'm pretty damn bored (and free).

Right now my signup script takes username, pass (two fields, as usual), e-mail. It verifies the passwords, encrypts them (MD5), and sends a confirmation e-mail to them containing a code that verifies their e-mail address and validates their account. It has a "forgot your password" sort of functionality to it too.

I'll throw it on and tweak with it a little bit.

#18 buddh4sack

buddh4sack

Goliath

• Members
  • 4398 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:58 AM

I have a handful of handmade scripts for all of that userbase/comments/ratings schnitt laying around from my other projects that I could plug in (at least as templates) so I could roll out the user signup and login pages pretty quickly. Besides, I don't have a job and school has been out so I'm pretty damn bored (and free).

Right now my signup script takes username, pass (two fields, as usual), e-mail. It verifies the passwords, encrypts them (MD5), and sends a confirmation e-mail to them containing a code that verifies their e-mail address and validates their account. It has a "forgot your password" sort of functionality to it too.

I'll throw it on and tweak with it a little bit.

Awesome, you da man.

Flip, to access pictures in the way you're talking about, we'd need to store the picture date as metadata in some table (or maybe two dates, max/min, if we want to indicate uncertainty); what other metadata besides date would we need for future searching (i.e. by band member, by submitter)? Are we venturing into "image tagging" territory that might be integrated with flickr or something?

For aesthetics, I'd really love to see it all in CSS; that way we could even have choosable themes!

#19 recklessrecluse

recklessrecluse

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 17-October 07

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:07 AM

nah, keep it simple
http://www.ronaldvdb...nl/giglinkdump/

#20 flipzoso

flipzoso

ZK

• Party Members
  • 7104 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:15 AM

Flip, to access pictures in the way you're talking about, we'd need to store the picture date as metadata in some table (or maybe two dates, max/min, if we want to indicate uncertainty); what other metadata besides date would we need for future searching (i.e. by band member, by submitter)? Are we venturing into "image tagging" territory that might be integrated with flickr or something?

For aesthetics, I'd really love to see it all in CSS; that way we could even have choosable themes!

The part I was referring to was more "permanent" design. So that would just be the background image, desings, colours, all associated under the era/2003/spring.php part and then those for all eras 2001/fall, 2002/spring, 2002/fall, etc up to 2009

For tagging pictures, if we could have a "upload images" button for that show, members can add their pics or pics they found and then tag the members in it. By adding it to that show's page the show/venue/date etc would all be inherent to that image (automatically tagged? if that exists?

Now as for the all the pics that don't have a assigned date, I was thinking it would be a job over a long period of time. I don't mean to sound like a know-it-all but Stroma and I, and maybe few others (dont know if they are active or care anymore) can narrow down alot of the pics to a show/period pretty easily. I could store them in a general folder as close as I can get to the tour/period. But I also have 100s of bookmarks of threads/people here in the Coma who at one point uploaded pics which are no longer available. I was thinking of PMing them all when this is up and running and getting them to resubmit.

But thats why its so important for someone to be storing all the pics as accurate as possible...betweenthelines does a great job but I think only up until recently she started actually tagging dates to them (err I hope she is, :wink:). I tried to do this on my own, it becomes a headache, haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users