IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#047) Roman Lips2017-01-13

Octopus Kool Aid

• Please log in to reply
324 replies to this topic

#21 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1467 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:35 PM

Andrew please get over it at this stage? Really don't want be a dick about it but come on

Tell Me What I Did Wrong

haha, nothing really. just like, you don't seem to have accepted that some ideas are getting recycled yet. and constantly holding it against him is getting pretty tired

but i actually have no place to tell you what to say or feel so i apologise

also TL you are really killing it this time. We have samples for 3 albums that are not yet released thanks to you <3

I'd rather talk more about why ideas/songs are getting recycled rather than the fact that they're getting recycled at all.

Is it because when Chris and Jon were going through the hard drives they felt these re-used tracks meshed with these new albums?

Were these tracks actually apart of the same sessions that both this new album and the album the track was first released with?

Were these tracks originally apart of the sessions these new albums came from and the older albums actually pulled from that?

i think its because omar is trying to rebrand himself with these albums. the older albums are basically rare, out of print items now. the majority of them are nowhere to be found in any official context. especially the later stuff. i feel like omar has lots and lots of songs and some of them are from sessions that definitely belong together, and then the album needs to be filled out some and more songs that fit that vibe are added to it. i feel like the album as a whole represents more than the individual songs for him. perhaps these songs that we hear being re-used were just made around the same time as the other new songs on the album that we didnt previously know about, and as omar says, his albums are like a snapshot of a time in his life

it could also just be having multiple versions of songs. like omar had el bien sitting there alongside un escorpion. he felt both were worth release. so he did it. etc

also To Need Something (Células Hermosas) didnt have deantoni drumming on it before :D

TL;DR Omar wrote Frances The Mute so he can do what the fuck he likes

#22 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3613 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:37 PM

Andrew please get over it at this stage? Really don't want be a dick about it but come on

Tell Me What I Did Wrong

haha, nothing really. just like, you don't seem to have accepted that some ideas are getting recycled yet. and constantly holding it against him is getting pretty tired

but i actually have no place to tell you what to say or feel so i apologise

also TL you are really killing it this time. We have samples for 3 albums that are not yet released thanks to you <3

I'd rather talk more about why ideas/songs are getting recycled rather than the fact that they're getting recycled at all.

Is it because when Chris and Jon were going through the hard drives they felt these re-used tracks meshed with these new albums?

Were these tracks actually apart of the same sessions that both this new album and the album the track was first released with?

Were these tracks originally apart of the sessions these new albums came from and the older albums actually pulled from that?

i think its because omar is trying to rebrand himself with these albums. the older albums are basically rare, out of print items now. the majority of them are nowhere to be found in any official context. especially the later stuff. i feel like omar has lots and lots of songs and some of them are from sessions that definitely belong together, and then the album needs to be filled out some and more songs that fit that vibe are added to it. i feel like the album as a whole represents more than the individual songs for him. perhaps these songs that we hear being re-used were just made around the same time as the other new songs on the album that we didnt previously know about, and as omar says, his albums are like a snapshot of a time in his life

it could also just be having multiple versions of songs. like omar had el bien sitting there alongside un escorpion. he felt both were worth release. so he did it. etc

i don't think there is one singular reason, it depends on each track/album and its context

some of my favourite bands only release new music once every few years so i really couldnt give a shit if 10% of these 24 albums has already been released in a different form. it's still a different beast. context changes everything.

also To Need Something (Células Hermosas) didnt have deantoni drumming on it before :D

to need something is a great example of what can be done with a remake, it's 1000% better now. easy to do with an ambient track though

#23 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9050 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

some solid sounding tracks on here. i'm hearing the SV similarities, but hopefully the shorter track times avoid the staleness of that album

#24 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2923 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Upon Golden Ice is one of the dopest things i've ever heard from Omar.

#25 goliathsoctahedron

goliathsoctahedron

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined 12-June 09

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:28 AM

most excited for this one out of the three that have samples that havent been released. this really sounds amazing, a top tier kind of thing with a cohesive album sound, and also very interesting to hear a version of La Hysteria like that.

#26 popeonarope

popeonarope

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Joined 13-May 11

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:30 AM

This one has my attention.

#27 zilla333

zilla333

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:26 AM

super stoked

#28 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2513 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 14 December 2016 - 05:28 AM

Based off the samples, I have a feeling Sequester Chagall, Bitter Tears and Deadlight will be the standouts from this album. That said, the whole thing sounds like it'll be fucking killer.

#29 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2923 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:44 AM

I will do naughty naughty things to hear Upon Golden Ice early.

#30 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:17 AM

these all sound great but I'd have to agree, that track stands out for me

#31 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4214 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:12 PM

He Gave Me a Key to Nothing  is 100% the same riff as "La Hysteria" was "La Hysteria" ever released anywhere before?

#32 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3025 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:20 PM

He Gave Me a Key to Nothing  is 100% the same riff as "La Hysteria"

More like 90%.

#33 Germn F.

Germn F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2501 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 14 December 2016 - 02:26 PM

Track times are short but all songs sound like they'll be pretty solid. It's crazy to me how much good music this guy can make in all types of styles.

#34 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3228 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 14 December 2016 - 04:25 PM

The bass in the latter part of that sample sound like Frusciante's electronic work.  Very cool.

I think "Fishtank" has a lot of potential.  Might end up being one of my favorites.

#35 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

This sounds like it will be one of the best of the Ipecac series thus far. Any chance of a download of the samples? And with A Lovejoy too? Would like to listen to these more and more haha

#36 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2513 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

Downloadable samples.

#37 auxfnx

auxfnx

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Joined 26-October 10

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

thanks dude, we don't deserve you ;-;

#38 cracknowledge101

cracknowledge101

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • Joined 29-October 04

Posted 14 December 2016 - 11:51 PM

i can already tell this is going to be a fave, with only a handful of redos/remixes/whatevers

#39 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6847 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:20 AM

Yeah I'm pretty excited for this one.  Trying to hold off on listening to the samples more than once.  Gonna be tough.

#40 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 15 December 2016 - 01:28 AM

This is actually my favorite remix/redo so far, besides Sea is Rising. It's cool to hear D doing some sweet hard as fuck grooving over one of the most experimental / ambient and, imo, beautiful tracks from Octo del Kool-Audio

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Octopus Kool Aid

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users