IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Long interview with Juan Alderete

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 hbk111

hbk111

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3160 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:43 PM

Juan had a lot of great things to say about Omar, Cedric and Deantoni. He's always down to earth. Dont see the problem with his comments.

#22 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

I think a better title for the interview is "Digruntled former Mars Volta bassist says he would rather listen to Kanye West than Antemasque."

I haven't listened to the interview. Is that for real? He seems the most butthurt.

Not at all - I was giving it the most inflammatory spin possible.

#23 kathygriffin

kathygriffin

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Joined 12-December 06

Posted 01 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

I think a better title for the interview is "Digruntled former Mars Volta bassist says he would rather listen to Kanye West than Antemasque."

I haven't listened to the interview. Is that for real? He seems the most butthurt.

Well, technically he communicated that sentiment. He said he's hasn't listened to ANTEMASQUE because he's not into rock, and then when listing off artists he likes/listens to he mentions Kanye. So it's a fair deduction to say that if given the option, he'd rather listen to Kanye than ANTEMASQUE.

I agree he doesn't come off sounding butthurt. He's just a guy who listens to what he feels like listening to, and doesn't mind being honest about it.

#24 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

Well, technically he communicated that sentiment. He said he's hasn't listened to ANTEMASQUE because he's not into rock, and then when listing off artists he likes/listens to he mentions Kanye. So it's a fair deduction to say that if given the option, he'd rather listen to Kanye than ANTEMASQUE.

I agree he doesn't come off sounding butthurt. He's just a guy who listens to what he feels like listening to, and doesn't mind being honest about it.

"kathygriffin speculates about the state of Juan Alderete's anus."

#25 Kazza3

Kazza3

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2174 posts
  • Joined 28-December 09

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:50 AM

Well we know he's a hip hop fan, so that's not surprising. I think it's come up in interviews before with people asking him about Omar's projects without him or other people's projects, and he hadn't listened to them or even wasn't aware of them, which to me is odd because I'd be curious and want to follow what former bandmates do and so on, but it seems it's just not something that concerns him that much. I haven't actually listened to this interview yet, mind you.

#26 inxy

inxy

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 04-March 14

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:28 AM

muy bueno

#27 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3630 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:15 AM

Man, that was a really nice interview. Nice touch for the last 4 questions, pretty fun and now I know Juan loves Band Of Gypsys.
Such an amazing album, couldn't be happier if he ends up doing a cover from this one day.

#28 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 02 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for doing this and sharing it here.

Sometimes I don't know how to wrap my head around all this. Juan is clearly an honest, well-mannered human being and I can't say bad things about Omar; yet, the way he acted in this is bad and it must've left an undeserved sour feeling for Juan. Don't know, just thinking out loud here, I guess...

Seems silly that you "can't say bad things about Omar" as clearly it seems there is good reason for some of those guys to be mad at him.  I think he mentions it, but he is careful about what he says on the subject which usually indicates someone is upset about the subject.  That was the vibe I got anyway; that he just wanted to make sure he didn't start bashing Omar. 

Well, silly... I think I haven't expressed what I really meant clearly. I meant it as in we've had Juan's opinion on this - reserved and polite, yes, but an opinion - whereas we haven't heard or seen anything on this matter said by Omar. So all this, even though strongly implied by Juan and others (Ikey maybe, I'm not counting Pidgeon's "opinions" :D) may be just one-sided opinion or view. And I'm sure you know that there's always two sides to a story.

The thing is, that's me speculating too much now and I hate doing that. Maybe some day we will know what went between the two (O & Juan), maybe not, I don't care.

Thanks for doing this and sharing it here.

Sometimes I don't know how to wrap my head around all this. Juan is clearly an honest, well-mannered human being and I can't say bad things about Omar; yet, the way he acted in this is bad and it must've left an undeserved sour feeling for Juan. Don't know, just thinking out loud here, I guess...

Maybe it's not necessarily all Omar's fault. Maybe Omar provided someone with a very good situation and that person started taking advantage of and ruined the situation. Maybe The Mars Volta truly was on a short hiatus but someone's actions caused it to now be dead for a lot longer, if not forever. Just thinking out loud here...

Yep, there's always that, of course.

#29 sasuke

sasuke

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined 25-February 05

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:37 AM

Does anyone have a mirror to this interview?  When I click the link I'm just getting "This Account Has Been Suspended"

Nice one

#30 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10363 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

seconded

#31 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6129 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 20 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Does anyone have a mirror to this interview?  When I click the link I'm just getting "This Account Has Been Suspended"

Nice one

Yea sorry it should be back up soon.  

I'll bug my hosting person again about it.  

If anything I can probably throw it up on the youtubes

#32 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Can we get an update once it's back up please?

#33 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10363 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Seconded

#34 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

Transcript

Juan: Something something

snkzato1: AHAHAHAHA

#35 Xero

Xero

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:47 AM

I'd also like to hear this interview.

#36 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6129 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

Transcript

In theory I could have edited out one of the channels and gotten rid of the laughs I guess....but meh fuck it.  Maybe when I do the next interview.  I kind of just laugh at everything.  Bad habit or what not, but its my way of being positive and avoiding being a snide cynical dick...which I often am as well.

I'm gonna try and get it on youtube since a bunch of you have been asking and been polite about waiting.  Not 100% certain how long the outage will be so I wanna make sure whoever wants to listen to it can.

#37 kiwi

kiwi

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 28-March 13

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

shit. I missed this.

#38 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6129 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:52 AM

Im uploading it to youtube right now.  Sorry for the delay.  Life has been a bit hectic lately.  Was hoping we'd be back up already, but what ya gonna do.

#39 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1122 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

Transcript

In theory I could have edited out one of the channels and gotten rid of the laughs I guess....but meh fuck it.  Maybe when I do the next interview.  I kind of just laugh at everything.  Bad habit or what not, but its my way of being positive and avoiding being a snide cynical dick...which I often am as well.

I'm gonna try and get it on youtube since a bunch of you have been asking and been polite about waiting.  Not 100% certain how long the outage will be so I wanna make sure whoever wants to listen to it can.

It's not a bad habit at all -- I was amused by how hard you were laughing, somewhat maniacally.

#40 kiwi

kiwi

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Joined 28-March 13

Posted 01 July 2014 - 01:01 PM

Im uploading it to youtube right now.  Sorry for the delay.  Life has been a bit hectic lately.  Was hoping we'd be back up already, but what ya gonna do.

thanks a lot!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users