IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

(#011) Old Money2008/11/18 - Juan, Adrian, Marcel, Deantoni, Cedric, Jon

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#301 6025

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 06-January 10

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:25 AM

so what movie is that womans voice in how to bill the bilderburg group

also how cool is it when the bass and synth/saxophone sync up for that little lead starting around 3:00 of Rockefellers (also has a sample from a movie)

#302 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Ximena shouldn't have made her own lyrics to that song. She should have just slurred "Let me go!", like the original.

#303 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

I think the movie is El Topo by Alejandro Jodorowsky

#304 Veni-yan Warrior

Veni-yan Warrior

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3282 posts
  • Joined 27-February 05

Posted 26 May 2010 - 09:36 AM

I just ordered this from someone on amazon for $19.95 including shipping. I didn't give anyone the heads up, because I had contemplated purchasing it myself for a few months now. Tonight was the night. Pretty good deal, I don't want this to go out of print without me snatching one, which is what happened with Calibration vinyl. This has been taken off the Stones Throw website for a while now, so they are getting rarer for retail price.

edit: just checked Stones Throw and the vinyl is now available again for $14.99 + shipping. Didn't check it before I ordered, oh well.

#305 blachandoo

blachandoo

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 28-November 08

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:37 PM

so what movie is that womans voice in how to bill the bilderburg group

also how cool is it when the bass and synth/saxophone sync up for that little lead starting around 3:00 of Rockefellers (also has a sample from a movie)

it's sounds to me more like cedric's than a woman's voice. but omar put so much effects on it, that it's hardly recognisable

#306 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:46 PM

I just ordered this from someone on amazon for $19.95 including shipping. I didn't give anyone the heads up, because I had contemplated purchasing it myself for a few months now. Tonight was the night. Pretty good deal, I don't want this to go out of print without me snatching one, which is what happened with Calibration vinyl. This has been taken off the Stones Throw website for a while now, so they are getting rarer for retail price.

edit: just checked Stones Throw and the vinyl is now available again for $14.99 + shipping. Didn't check it before I ordered, oh well.

nice! fuckin top notch omar

#307 OhMyGod

OhMyGod

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 01-May 09

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:31 AM

nice! fuckin top notch omar

Just picked up vinyl + Lazer Sword's 7". Thanks!

#308 Cosmic Lung

Cosmic Lung

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Joined 06-July 07

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Ok I just got the vinyl in the mail,

First of all what is with the liner notes? Why is there a hole in it?

And second this shit is tight, literally I can't even get the actual record off my platter. It kinda happened with my calibration vinyl also

#309 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

I have had that slip underneath my platter ever since I got this record. It's like my own personal hidden treasure.

#310 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 13820 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:29 PM

'Old Money' will fix American banks

Omar Rodríguez-López's music has been called world-changing and overblown. At the Drive-In, a band he played guitar for in the 1990s, is widely celebrated as one of brashest, best bands of the era, while The Mars Volta, a band he leads now, is more divisive, inciting either love or loathing; Omar's eight solo albums and their critical receptions fall somewhere in between. His newest, "Old Money", sounds like The Mars Volta, but it is better reined in. It grooves like his best, most valuable old stuff.

The songs on Rodríguez-López's albums generally follow a pattern: a bunch of effects, instruments and solos on top of a bass line that doesn't change. There are at least seven of those on this album, but unlike in live performances, the music is tightly wound and focused. The first three songs each have one bass line and a different drummer. Jazz-fusion drummer Deantoni Parks swings and spikes with the style and precision of a suede nailgun over the heavy wave of "The Power of Myth". Mars Volta singer Cedric Bixler-Zavala plays an ambling, dub-infused beat on the equal parts Caribbean and Middle-Eastern "How to Bill the Bilderberg Group", and former Mars Volta drummer John Theodore just beats up all over the steam-powered chug of "Population Council's Wet Dream".

Theodore's playing on "Family War Funding (Love those Rothschilds)" is forcible and impressive (listen to the patterns on the hi-hats) without being gaudy. On beautiful album closer "Old Money", he shows more of that reserve playing with Juan Alderete's bass under meandering guitars and synths.

Theodore never overpowers anyone else, unlike Rodríguez-López and his harsh guitar on "Private Fortunes" and "Trilateral Commission as Dinner Guests". On "Old Money", though, Omar shows a welcome musical restraint. There aren't that many solos and when they're there they aren't endless. Omar is an excellent sound-melder and songwriter.

On "1921", he combines recordings of Jerusalem streets with TV static. His best stuff comes in the style of his birthplace: Puerto Rican salsa.

The track "Old Money" is spacey and effected, but it's underbraced by the up-beat syncopation of Latin music. The distorted guitar in the short verses of "I Like the Rockefeller's First Two Albums Better, But After That…" plays like it's a salsa piano. The synths that sound like horns as well as the dirty bass make the song a standout.

Omar Rodríguez-López is known for disregarding critics and opinions beside his own in his stern commitment to doing whatever the hell he wants, and "Old Money" is more of that same "whatever the hell he wants." But, like a favorite food when it's cooked right, there's nothing better.

4.5/5.0

http://www.highlande...banks-1.1304166

#311 Seattleite

Seattleite

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2797 posts
  • Joined 07-September 07

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:16 AM

god damn deantoni kills power of myth. this album is perfecto

#312 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6868 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:04 AM

Agreed. I hope someday we get another unreleased TMV album like this.

#313 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6107 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:17 AM

After becoming so accustomed to the amount of music Omar puts out, I had to take a second to let the (#011) in the title sink in. This album came out at the end of 08, and since then that mother fucker has released 14 more albums. I just gotta take this time to say...

Omar, you fucking rule, you insane mastermind genius psychopath god.

#314 tokyoisdead

tokyoisdead

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 02-February 12

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:13 AM

Does anyone know how many copies they made of this on vinyl?
Were they limited or do they just press them upon request?

#315 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2952 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

This thread and album needs more lovin! This record is one of the greats no doubt about it.

Now that Volta is done (at least that's what we're lead to believe)..im starting to feel nostalgic with the band. And God i remember the excitement when this album was dropping. The secret Volta album that had people going crazy. A lot of the jams that people loved from their 2003, 2005, 2008 tours made it onto this album, it was some dope shit to witness.

An album with Deantoni and Jon on the same record? That's pretty intense. Not to mention Marcel and Cedric as well.

This record mixes Psychedelia, Salsa vibes, jazzy-rock, great melodies & madness, dub, film samples, classic Omar guitar wankery, great bass-lines, funky riffs & middle-eastern sounds like no other.

Add to the fact that it was released on StonesThrow Records (home of the mighty Madlib). It was an extra special Omar release.

Im very appreciative of this album to say the least. I thank the guys for putting out such gems like Cryptomnesia, Xenophanes and Un Escorpion Perfumado. But this album was the first to make me pay attention to his solo joints. I went back and heard some songs from his Amsterdam Series that i enjoyed and even though i didnt think they were on par with Old Money, it opened my mind to the future of Omars solo albums. And it actually made me more obsessed with TMV because i felt like i was a part of cult like community more than ever.

So im celebrating Volta right now by listening to this dope record. Hope u guys dont ignore this one too much cuz it's certainly one of his standouts!

#316 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10058 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

i know man, everyone does :wink: i think this is probably one of everyone's favorite omar albums.

it's definitely one of my all time favs. i have a pretty clearly marked line of favs, which goes something like this:

manual dexterity - s/t - apocalypse - old money - crypto - xeno - solar gambling - escorpion - unicorn

#317 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4660 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:11 AM

manual dexterity - s/t - apocalypse - old money - crypto - xeno - solar gambling - escorpion - unicorn

$$$$$

#318 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2952 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Mine are pretty clear too.

old money - crypto - xeno  - escorpion

#319 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:53 AM

I've been on an Old Money trip lately. Fuck I love this album...

#320 TremulantDeloused

TremulantDeloused

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 29-October 09

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:36 AM

Blasted it on the way home from work the other day. One of his best for sure. The wank albums are still my favs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users