IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The 2009 2010 ORL era

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 iorch82

iorch82

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 137 posts
  • Joined 01-January 10

Posted 19 November 2018 - 11:41 PM

Well, nostalgia just caught me off guard and I've started playing non-stop my old ORL cds. Just wanted to talk about these awesome 09 Euro recordings that captured Omar's highest point as a solo artist with the best line up possible...You know, Pridgen with the Mickey Mouse t-shirt, Ximena in super-cute mode, Marcel, Money Mark - pure psycho jazz lines - Juan..

Typical set list, almost perfect

Sueños del higado

How to bill the bilderberg group

Dyna sark arches

Here the tame goes by

some song from Megaritual

Asco que conmueve los puntos

some unknown song that shown up in ipeac series(La tirania?)

Locomoción Capilar

Omar was on fire too, he was throwing the best solos I've ever heard from him. You can easily tell he was coming from the Amp recording where he reached a complete new level, you can tell that from the Mecca first solo, or Viscera eyes, much more elaborated solos than his typical pentatonic/chromatic randomness

Does anybody know about this guy? He promised to upload the whole thing.. 

In the other hand we have 2010 with some important changes. De Antoni brought a much more calmed version of the band, even though it was almost the same line up. Omar was not that much into soloing, but there were some good moments. I think these solos were some kind of a step back from 2009, much more "pentatonic" and less original. But anyway, I we still had Ximena, and some Omar anthems were born like Miel del Ojo or "un buitre amable"

So, if you had the opportunity of assist of a gig from either 2009 or 2010, which would you pick and why?

#2 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3356 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:00 AM

not my favorite era, but definitely his best imo. i'd pick 2010 because:

-whatever this is

-and this

-sea is rising

-agua dulce

-miel de ojo

-horror

-un buite/poinicare

metamorphose is an absolute killer live set. it was so exciting to hear the reports coming back about this crazy new electronic sound he had. here's to hoping that happens again on friday

#3 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:08 AM

Yes, that's ArdNassac and I've been trying to contact him for a number of years. I believe he filmed one (Hamburg) and a half (Cologne) of these shows, but never finished post-production. He's also the guy who filmed the ORL Quintet 2005 and TMV 2008 Cologne shows.

I'm sad that the 2010 group never made it to Western Europe due to (I believe) Omar's mother's illness. I remember being mega psyched when this video dropped and let down by every version of Sea Is Rising that was released afterwards. This is still the best one!

#4 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5653 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:17 AM

Yes, that's ArdNassac and I've been trying to contact him for a number of years. I believe he filmed one (Hamburg) and a half (Cologne) of these shows, but never finished post-production. He's also the guy who filmed the ORL Quintet 2005 and TMV 2008 Cologne shows.

I'm sad that the 2010 group never made it to Western Europe due to (I believe) Omar's mother's illness. I remember being mega psyched when this video dropped and let down by every version of Sea Is Rising that was released afterwards. This is still the best one!

I fucking looooved this line-up regardless of how short-lived it was.  This was so crazy to hear especially since you knew it was a test-drive of the upcoming Volta.  I'm so bummed we didn't get the official concert film, Duality of Sighs.

#5 pimpollo

pimpollo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 208 posts
  • Joined 16-October 09

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:49 AM

I was at that Troubadour show :)

I'm a shortie so you can't see me in the crowd tho lol

#6 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 8977 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
  • Interests:Cross dressing
    gang bangin

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:14 AM

Omar 2010 to 2012 is some of my favourite music ever. I think I prefer the more “modern” sound with Deantoni to the proggier stuff from 09. Those performances of songs like Uno and Un Buitre are amazing, but I think often overlooked is the trio shows prior to BR. Great performances of spellbound, mono, querer, and other songs from that era. I think the 2010 and 2012 Metamorphoses boots are my favourites. It’s unfortunate that the 2012 recording was butchered into CTHP

#7 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

That Blade runner / castlevania song as some call it is one of my favorite thing Omar did.

Strange it wasn't reworked into something as it happened with sea is rising.

I'd love an album of those instrumental electronic sounding tracks.

#8 still

still

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 185 posts
  • Joined 15-April 18

Posted 22 November 2018 - 02:35 PM

I'd love an album of those instrumental electronic sounding tracks.

Technically we got multiple albums from that era, especially if you count the orlproject remixes, but none of them featured all the songs and was as cohesive a record as I imagined it under the impression of the 2010 live recordings. Kind of a bummer, those live versions sounded so damn pretty.

#9 Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Joined 27-April 09

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:00 PM

none of them featured all the songs and was as cohesive a record as I imagined it under the impression of the 2010 live recordings.

That's what I meant yes.

What are the orlproject remixes you're mentioning ? I think I've never heard of that.

#10 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4039 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:05 PM

By remixes he means rereleased songs from unicorn skeleton mask, saber, etc...

#11 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7551 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:29 AM

Really have a soft spot for the 2009 stuff!

It was Mark Aanderud on keys, btw. :smile:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users