IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Best Record Label

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:10 AM

I don't really follow labels anymore since the internet changed how everything works...

Tooth & Nail is now defunct but they had a great run back during my high school and college days

The reason T&N was and still feels like my favorite(besides being Independent)  is because of the  WIDE VARIETY OF GENRES

For every album I owned that I no longer enjoy, I've discovered one that I overlooked at the time of release

what I can think of atm...

Analog Synth music

Spoiler

Indie Rock

Spoiler

Shoegaze

Spoiler

Post-Hardcore

Roots Reggae /Ska-punk

Zydeco/jazz/swing ?

Spoiler

Power Pop/Rock

Hardcore/punk

Emo/Rock

Spoiler

now....Their BREAD & BUTTER  (catchy punk rock)

1st Band signed to label:

Their DOO-WOP song:

Skater Punk

Ramones wannabes

too tired...giving up for now

#2 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12809 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:21 AM

I don't really follow labels anymore since the internet changed how everything works...

Kind of, actually I took the time to compile most of my favourite bands and most of them still rely on labels BUT they are mostly independent or small labels.

Bands kind of survive on their own but they still need labels to put the word out and invest in physical releases and merch.

There are some examples of bands completely crowdfunding their albums from recording to release but the disadvantage is that it's a very demanding task, it takes a lot of time and helping hands so some bands decide to let a label take care of it.

Also there might be a time when hopefully your band will become popular enough that you'll be unable to take care of most matters yourself.

#3 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:25 AM

I almost forgot about the GLAM ROCK

#4 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:34 AM

Kind of, actually I took the time to compile most of my favourite bands and most of them still rely on labels BUT they are mostly independent or small labels.

Bands kind of survive on their own but they still need labels to put the word out and invest in physical releases and merch.

There are some examples of bands completely crowdfunding their albums from recording to release but the disadvantage is that it's a very demanding task, it takes a lot of time and helping hands so some bands decide to let a label take care of it.

Also there might be a time when hopefully your band will become popular enough that you'll be unable to take care of most matters yourself.

I get what you're saying...

I believe I was thinking about the days when I had $ to spend on records but only 56k internet modem....it was hard to preview music on the internet (even when Napster arrived.... you never knew if it was going to sound like shit or not audio quality wise (if it was FAKE haha)

it was always nice to have record labels you could trust...T&N wasn't the only one I trusted ..just had the most variety

#5 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12809 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:36 AM

The good old times when downloading a single song took about 30 minutes and having an internet connection was expensive as hell.

#6 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12809 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

ee10WJe.png

cEkcMfA.png

#7 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12809 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

I'm also writing down how much their popularity shifts in a yearly basis based on the number of followers over FB, interestingly a few bands are actually losing followers, not sure why.

#8 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'm also writing down how much their popularity shifts in a yearly basis based on the number of followers over FB, interestingly a few bands are actually losing followers, not sure why.

Modern bands and solo artists pay $ for FAKE FOLLOWERS and FAKE LISTENS on Soundcloud and other platforms

#9 Dandelion

Dandelion

nope

• Party Members
  • 12809 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:52 AM

Mmm they all pay for ads but the numbers seem pretty consistent when you compare them. 

For example most of the bands near the bottom have been around for a decade or two.

xgJSz59.png

#10 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:32 AM

Indie Rock

Spoiler

Kinda funny how I labeled this Pedro the Lion EP as Indie Rock...i'm pretty sure there was no such genre at the time because Indie used to mean Independent haha 

#11 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

Constellation is still my favourite label and their output in 2017 is absolutely crazy good.

From the top of my head, Matador, Sacred Bones, Smalltown Supersound, Castle Face, Sub Pop,Instant Classic, Leaf Label, maybe Jagjaguwar and Ipecac.
Mute, Planet Mu and Warp for experimental electronic. Trip and bbbbbb for techno and more afx like music (like Bjarki)

#12 itsmeagain

itsmeagain

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Joined 03-November 17

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:29 AM

are there any run by non zionist jews?

#13 kev821

kev821

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:47 AM

Back before emo was a thing I would refere to bands like the get up kids as indie rock

Indie Rock

Kinda funny how I labeled this Pedro the Lion EP as Indie Rock...i'm pretty sure there was no such genre at the time because Indie used to mean Independent haha

#14 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:17 AM

Indie Rock

Spoiler

Back in the late 90"s a British label called "Hut' was known for putting out solid work. 

#15 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

martin luther you're an angel

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 04 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

touch and go had a pretty good run

#16 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12736 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 04 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Back before emo was a thing I would refere to bands like the get up kids as indie rock

I used to go to a lot of Get up Kids back in the day....

Vagrant Records used to be one of my favorite labels (buying their records during the same time period as Tooth & Nail)

....a lot of the bands don't hold up as well as I'd hoped but I'll have to listen to some more of the releases for nostalgia's sake

Not everything they put out was emo/indie rock though.

One of their best releases:

#17 kev821

kev821

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:36 PM

Yeah I use to buy alot of compilation albums and vagrant had some great ones so then I got pretty into that label some others epitaph, fatwreck, honest dons, hopeless records, Asian man records,sideone dummy,hellcat,fung fu,relapse, fulled by ramen, tooth and nail. As for a major being on capital seems like a pretty classic label to be on.

#18 temporal lob

temporal lob

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 213 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

Late 60s early 70s Charisma. 80s and 90s Dischord,Sub Pop, SST, Amphetamine Reptile, Twin Tone,Touch and Go, Homestead,4AD,Def American, Sire division of WB, Geffen,Metal Blade and Relapse. After the internet labels are mostly about distribution now.

#19 kev821

kev821

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:44 PM

Yeah sst sure had an great line up of bands. Every interview i've seen though about the bands and the label was that it was pretty shitty being in business with Greg ginn but they sure put out awesome stuff

#20 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3406 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 05 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

Late 60s early 70s Charisma. 80s and 90s Dischord,Sub Pop, SST, Amphetamine Reptile, Twin Tone,Touch and Go, Homestead,4AD,Def American, Sire division of WB, Geffen,Metal Blade and Relapse. After the internet labels are mostly about distribution now.

How did i forget to mention Dischord.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users