IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Album remakesOmar Rodriguez-Lucas: Special Edition

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

Poll: Omar Rodriguez-Lucas (52 member(s) have cast votes)

Best remake

1. Zapopan (18 votes [34.62%])

Percentage of vote: 34.62%

2. Nom De Guerre Cabal (10 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

3. Ensayo De Un Desaparecido (11 votes [21.15%])

Percentage of vote: 21.15%

4. El Bien y Mal Nos Une (13 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Worst remake

1. Zapopan (3 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Nom De Guerre Cabal (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Ensayo De Un Desparecido (5 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. El Bien Y Mal Nos Une (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2937 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:40 PM

My horror sucks on both versions.

#22 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9059 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

I see Zapopan is top currently, but of these four albums it's the one with the least work put into the second version. It's just a cleaned up mix.

zapopan is also different vocal takes. what's new on nom de guerre? only vox and different mix
there are a few things. first, worst, and most petty, the count in is gone from salt lines. quemanos lo and discursos also have synth and guitar added to them, common condescend has new synths too. i believe that's it. like i said, just enough added apart from the better mix and they're all good decisions
no way dude. At the very least adding vocals to Machu Picchu and Quemamos Lo killed those songs. Especially Machu Picchu. A few tracks feel a bit more suffocated w the new mix too - Turn for Caring is far better than Healed and Raised just because the latter is so intense. Although it would be nice if TFC had that guitar track

I've made a playlist that combines the two which I think takes the best elements of both
http://www.youtube.c...1pMbfmUmSwTcyDo

#23 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3639 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 25 February 2017 - 09:39 PM

I take that back, i forgot how horror is

#24 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:26 PM

I find El Bien to be the most complementary of the remakes. Zapopan is also awesome and makes it a lot easier to appreciate the original tracks.

El Bien is right up there with his best albums imo. Perdido and un acto de fe are some of the best new tracks of the series.

#25 Poimandres

Poimandres

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

Posted 26 February 2017 - 05:37 AM

Zapo, easily. It makes USM sound like a total joke and is one of Omar's best solo albums.

Nom is a good cleanup, but the original wasn't as badly in need as USM and the songs just aren't as good.

All El Bien makes me want to do is listen to Un Escorpion.

Haven't listed to the newest release yet, but can't see it topping Xeno.

#26 feelsgoodman

feelsgoodman

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5210 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:17 AM

I still don't understand how OG fans can like these albums. Total waste of time and a complete letdown. One of your favorite artists decides to release an album every other week and it's complete shit???!! Unreal...

#27 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2514 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:32 AM

I still don't understand how OG fans can like these albums. Total waste of time and a complete letdown. One of your favorite artists decides to release an album every other week and it's complete shit???!! Unreal...

Tell us how you really feel.

#28 nickyb91

nickyb91

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts
  • Joined 29-July 10

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:36 AM

..woah

#29 Germán F.

Germán F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2506 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

I got into atdi in 2000 then tmv in 2004, and I like most of the new albums. If I was younger I may have felt the same way you do, but I guess people open their minds to more things as they get older.

#30 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6850 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Depends on the album, but at least a handful of these releases have been amazing in my eyes. They have covered so many genres and styles, I don't know how there's not anything for you to like here.

#31 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5492 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

Let it out, dude. It's ok. We're all here to help you get through this.

#32 Poimandres

Poimandres

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:57 PM

I heard the new ATDI song on the radio yesterday and thought... you know what... I prefer a lot of the latest Omar solo albums to that style. I thought the 2012 batch of albums was pretty bad, but there are plenty of damn fine releases in 2016/2017.

Strokes/folks.

#33 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4644 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:07 AM

I find it interesting how a bunch of Omar fanboys jump in the fray to mansplain why someone is wrong every time they express a negative opinion. I pretty much agree with feelsgood, to be quite frank. Most of these releases, to me, are like last year's thanksgiving turkey, thawed out in the microwave. Sure, you can eat it, and it provides sustenance, but there are like 500 other dishes I would rather eat first. But...c'est la vie. I guess the only thing that keeps me posting is a strange sense of pity for the fanboys who don't know what they're missing.

Note before a bunch of people start mansplaining: Just as Omar doesn't owe us fans anything, we don't owe him anything. Love his music, love what he's achieved. Don't worship everything he does.

#34 radiognome

radiognome

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Joined 09-April 14

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:16 AM

Yes, blanket statements! Love it..

#35 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:52 AM

lololol "mansplaining"

nuff said

#36 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2514 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

Maybe the issue isn't with the opinion itself but the way it was expressed...

#37 Germán F.

Germán F.

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2506 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:43 AM

Close minded people will just never understand the genius in this guy. They also don't understand that some of these new albums are complete and others just experimental or scraps. I don't like some of them but that's ok 'cause he's fucking releasing 24 in a twelve month period.

#38 Andrewf

Andrewf

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4289 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:48 AM

Please tell us what we are missing?

#39 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 9999 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:48 AM

Xpgno needs someone to mansplain to him what mansplaining is ;-)

#40 Poimandres

Poimandres

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts
  • Joined 11-August 11

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

I find it interesting how a bunch of Omar fanboys jump in the fray to mansplain why someone is wrong every time they express a negative opinion. I pretty much agree with feelsgood, to be quite frank. Most of these releases, to me, are like last year's thanksgiving turkey, thawed out in the microwave. Sure, you can eat it, and it provides sustenance, but there are like 500 other dishes I would rather eat first. But...c'est la vie. I guess the only thing that keeps me posting is a strange sense of pity for the fanboys who don't know what they're missing.

Note before a bunch of people start mansplaining: Just as Omar doesn't owe us fans anything, we don't owe him anything. Love his music, love what he's achieved. Don't worship everything he does.

I highlighted a number of things I find objectionable or perplexing.

- Pulling out the "fanboy" card is a cheap tactic honestly. We're on a forum built around a single band here, what the fuck do you expect if not fans?

- Mansplain is... what even is that?

- "Every time" someone expresses a negative opinion... that's basically every day here. People arguing over what is good/bad. It's not just a continuous circle jerk over anything Omar related... this entire topic is based on what people do/don't like. If you think there's no negativity here, well, dig a little deeper.

- If you have 500 dishes to bring to the table... then bring the dishes! What do you have to nourish us?

- That's what brings you here? That is a sad motivation. Very sad indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users