IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Godspeed You! Black Emperor (GY!BE)

• Please log in to reply
1312 replies to this topic

#41 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:52 AM

apparently.

#42 amonovalentradical

amonovalentradical

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 01-February 04
  • Interests:art, writing, my band (a monovalent radical) .

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:23 AM

If you like Godspeed you might want to check out the band called Rachel's. They're a lot like them except piano is more prominent.

#43 Muzzq

Muzzq

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1351 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:Sitting in a tree at 3am while reading a shitty book with a flashlight, emptying a bottle of liquor, finished by watching a david lynch film. <br><br>No other interests though.

Posted 06 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

funny enough, i saw fly pan am yesterday in concert, a gybe! side project, kind of.

weirdest fucking thing ever.

#44 pk_fire25

pk_fire25

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined 16-January 04

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

:ol_exclaim: godspeed is amazing
there is something in the liner notes of lift your skinny fists about empty streets at dawn. nothing could be more special than blasting that record on the way home early in the morning

la dee da

#45 fencefacade

fencefacade

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
  • Interests:thinking, making others think, getting chased by others, making up games and naming them after great literary works, sitting down, destroying while creating something new, sink, ice cream, frozen yogurt, mathematics, psychological exploitations, ask me

Posted 08 November 2004 - 04:24 AM

I feel like sleeping outside with this playing nearby.

#46 Autorelocator

Autorelocator

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 13-February 04

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:11 AM

Moya is possibly my favourite song of all time, so provocative and dynamic, i think the thing about gybe is that there songs are progressive and they are developing all the time untill and explosive climax.....the climax in moya is to amazing and suspenseful

#47 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

A lot of people talk shit about it, but I like Yanqui the best. It's so weird, it's always the album I least look foward to listening to, but enjoy the most. The idea of there not being dramatic tempo shifts or earth shattering climaxes bothers me in theory, but as soon as I listen, it completely holds my attention. Every second oozes with an attention to detail I don't feel is as prominent with their other releases. I zone out when I listen to their other CDs, but I can completely focus in on Yanqui and be enraptured the entire time. It's monolithic in the best sense of the word. I think pitchfork desribed it as glacial, and I agree, but it a good way. You can tell where it's going from minute one, but there's an overwhelming force beneath the shimmering surface.
But a lot of people think the production is muddy and the songs are plodding, so whatever.
I really like all their releases though.

#48 coheedKid

coheedKid

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1613 posts
  • Joined 06-March 04

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:03 AM

great band. great great band.

#49 snyprmg

snyprmg

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

• Members
  • 5827 posts
  • Joined 08-July 03
  • Interests:music, Bass, movies, cars, video games, whatever.
  • Facebook

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:07 AM

I fucking love these guys.

Does anybody knwo the status of the bands? Any of them recording or planning on touring? Did either godsped or SMZ break up?

#50 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 04 December 2004 - 07:15 AM

On the godspeed website it says there's no plan to tour anytime soon. And it's been 2 years since yanuqi, so theoretically there should be an album out now. Not sure what that means. But to be fair, they did work on Yanqui 4 years, all the way through the EP and Skinny Fists.

#51 Prof_Chaos

Prof_Chaos

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 745 posts
  • Joined 11-December 03

Posted 04 December 2004 - 06:06 PM

I like ASMZ A lot more than GYBE

#52 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:29 PM

On the godspeed website it says there's no plan to tour anytime soon. And it's been 2 years since yanuqi, so theoretically there should be an album out now. Not sure what that means. But to be fair, they did work on Yanqui 4 years, all the way through the EP and Skinny Fists.

View Post

The last thing I heard is that Roger Tellier-Craig left GBYE to push Fly Pan Am to the maximum. And the other members of GYBE want to continue.

#53 solo_ar

solo_ar

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 18-November 03

Posted 05 December 2004 - 05:36 AM

they are NOT broken up. But constellation has told me they will not be recording anytime soon. so no album till at least 2006 me thinks.

#54 timehasrunaway

timehasrunaway

Custom member title

• Members
  • 6109 posts
  • Joined 23-June 04

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:15 AM

"moya" reminds me of "adagio for strings." both good songs. i think theyre in the same key too. whenever i look for cds i check for gybe, mogwai and smz, but nobody in my area has them. the other day i went into mad platter (indie record store i guess) and they had cds of all three. i couldnt decide what to buy. so i bought "birth of the cool" which is what i had originally intended to buy. the burned copy i had was getting pretty ruined.

should i get f#a#oo or lift yr. fists?

#55 solo_ar

solo_ar

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 18-November 03

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:56 AM

"moya" reminds me of "adagio for strings." both good songs. i think theyre in the same  key too. whenever i look for cds i check for gybe, mogwai and smz, but nobody in my area has them. the other day i went into mad platter (indie record store i guess) and they had cds of all three. i couldnt decide what to buy. so i bought "birth of the cool" which is what i had originally intended to buy. the burned copy i had was getting pretty ruined.

View Post

get lift your skinny fists definitely. however, dude go to best buy. i got it for $18.99 when it was $32.99 everywehere else.

also. go to www.amazon.com i order pretty much everything from there. almost always way cheaper. anything over $39 (cdn) is free shipping.

#56 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:14 AM

There's always this guy who gets cited as the main visionary behind the group, does anyone know who I'm talking about, and does anyone know if he left? Also, what are the side projects he's involved in?

#57 Guest_applekiddy_*

Guest_applekiddy_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 05 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

"moya" reminds me of "adagio for strings." both good songs. i think theyre in the sameĀ  key too. whenever i look for cds i check for gybe, mogwai and smz, but nobody in my area has them. the other day i went into mad platter (indie record store i guess) and they had cds of all three. i couldnt decide what to buy. so i bought "birth of the cool" which is what i had originally intended to buy. the burned copy i had was getting pretty ruined.

View Post

get lift your skinny fists definitely. however, dude go to best buy. i got it for $18.99 when it was $32.99 everywehere else.

also. go to www.amazon.com i order pretty much everything from there. almost always way cheaper. anything over $39 (cdn) is free shipping.

View Post

17.99 at Tower. Shop around.

#58 post_scriptum

post_scriptum

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2216 posts
  • Joined 20-June 04

Posted 05 December 2004 - 02:29 PM

they are NOT broken up. But constellation has told me they will not be recording anytime soon. so no album till at least 2006 me thinks.

I didn't say they broke up

There's always this guy who gets cited as the main visionary behind the group, does anyone know who I'm talking about, and does anyone know if he left? Also, what are the side projects he's involved in?

View Post

Efrim?
No he didn't leave
A Silver Mount Zion, that's the only band I know

#59 Autorelocator

Autorelocator

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 159 posts
  • Joined 13-February 04

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:58 AM

A lot of people talk shit about it, but I like Yanqui the best. It's so weird, it's always the album I least look foward to listening to, but enjoy the most.  The idea of there not being dramatic tempo shifts or earth shattering climaxes bothers me in theory, but as soon as I listen, it completely holds my attention. Every second oozes with an attention to detail I don't feel is as prominent with their other releases. I zone out when I listen to their other CDs, but I can completely focus in on Yanqui and be enraptured the entire time. It's monolithic in the best sense of the word. I think pitchfork desribed it as glacial, and I agree, but it a good way. You can tell where it's going from minute one, but there's an overwhelming force beneath the shimmering surface.
But a lot of people think the production is muddy and the songs are plodding, so whatever.
I really like all their releases though.

View Post

yeah, i kind of feel the same way, i never want to listen to it but when i do i think this is fucking awesome and then i dont listen to it again for a while. i think maybe because it doesnt have any spoken word stuff its less appealing but really it is a fantastic album

#60 absence vs. thin air

absence vs. thin air

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3692 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Myspace

Posted 06 December 2004 - 02:41 AM

"moya" reminds me of "adagio for strings." both good songs. i think theyre in the sameĀ  key too. whenever i look for cds i check for gybe, mogwai and smz, but nobody in my area has them. the other day i went into mad platter (indie record store i guess) and they had cds of all three. i couldnt decide what to buy. so i bought "birth of the cool" which is what i had originally intended to buy. the burned copy i had was getting pretty ruined.

View Post

View Post

17.99 at Tower. Shop around.

View Post

i got it for 13.99 at best buy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users