IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

TMV history spreadsheet

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:33 AM

I think Goliath on MTV Canada was cut short because they introduced that Fever jam which extended the length of the song.

#42 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:08 PM

I think Goliath on MTV Canada was cut short because they introduced that Fever jam which extended the length of the song.

I SWEAR there was a full-length one because I am certain I saw Omar give him the Golden Cobra award at the end of that video.  

#43 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:52 AM

Regarding the Omar/Ximena timeline, the first mention of Omar being Ximena's ex-boyfriend was in August 2011.

The house in Zapopan was sold some time before or around May 2011, so Saber, Querer, Osar y Cellar was either the last album recorded there, or one of the first ones recorded at some other place. I assumed Omar moved back to El Paso after Zapopan, but in the mxdown Interview he said about Blind Worms: One of the last solo records before forming Bosnian Rainbows, this album was the first to be recorded in El Paso after moving back from Mexico. 2012. So he either had some other place in Mexico for a year, or he's fucking up the timeline.

#44 s_uds

s_uds

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 15-November 15

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:48 PM

Here's a more complete (+4 songs) link than the MEGA one on the spreadsheet: http://forum.thecoma...o_sessions.mp3/ for the "Summer Demos"

Additionally, with some parts being exactly the same as on the album, it sounds more like rough mixes / edits of the actual recording sessions rather than just "demos". As usual, its mostly vocals that differs.

Oddly enough, the encoding/metadata varies from file to file - Drunkship, Inertiatic and Roulette are 128 kpbs; while Eriatarka, Eunuch Provocateur and Apparatus are 160 kbps, Cerpin Taxt is VBR ~ 170 kbps and Cicatriz is 192 kbps, suggesting that its multiple sources tied together.

Encoding quality also varies greatly (just listen to Cerpin Taxt vs Drunkship)

Anyone has any more information on those? Leak source, date, etc.?

Shame that's its all lossy though, it sounds so good.

#45 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

Here's a more complete (+4 songs) link than the MEGA one on the spreadsheet: http://forum.thecoma...o_sessions.mp3/ for the "Summer Demos"

Additionally, with some parts being exactly the same as on the album, it sounds more like rough mixes / edits of the actual recording sessions rather than just "demos". As usual, its mostly vocals that differs.

Oddly enough, the encoding/metadata varies from file to file - Drunkship, Inertiatic and Roulette are 128 kpbs; while Eriatarka, Eunuch Provocateur and Apparatus are 160 kbps, Cerpin Taxt is VBR ~ 170 kbps and Cicatriz is 192 kbps, suggesting that its multiple sources tied together.
Encoding quality also varies greatly (just listen to Cerpin Taxt vs Drunkship)

Anyone has any more information on those? Leak source, date, etc.?

Shame that's its all lossy though, it sounds so good.

The confusion in your post is exactly why I put in that MEGA link instead of the mixed-up coma folder. Only the 4 tracks are the actual demos from summer 2002, the other ones are early mixes from the actual album sessions.

Check out this release: https://www.discogs....release/4726690 (probably the source for Eriatarka, Eunuch, Apparatus @ 128kbps)

"Rough", as in "Rough Mix" refers to an early mix during the album sessions. The recorded notes are the same, but the sound differs or and the track isn't complete yet. Demos are part of the pre-production process before a band enters the studio. They said there were 2 months of pre-production with Rick Rubin before their early Oct 02 tour after which they entered the studio. That's when the "summer demos" likely were recorded and because of previous statements about Ikey and Eva, it's safe to assume Ralph Jasso and Linda Good are the performers on those. Eunuch and Concertina were recorded during the DITC sessions, but not released. I don't know the exact origin of all those tracks.

There's evidence (#1, #2) there was a leak of DITC that made the rounds among fans as early as Feb 2003(!). I remember reading that leak was different from the released version in terms of mastering. Does anybody know more about this?

Edit
While browsing the Inertiatic board, I came across this post claiming there were more shows in November 2001 after the tour with The Anniversary. I have seen the poster for the Nov 17th and 18th dates of Les Savy Fav/Ugly Casanova/Defacto before, which happened after TMV played their last show w/ The Anniversary at the same venue on Nov 16th. There's a TMV bootleg dated 2001-11-18 floating around, I assumed it was a mistake and that it's from Nov 16th, but maybe they just played as TMV. Further Ugly Casanova dates on setlist.fm coincide with the Inertiatic boards user's dates and the known recording of TMV at the Bottom Of The Hill. I wonder if TMV played all these shows.

Edit2:
Portland show confirmed, looks like they joined that tour. Will update list.

#46 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:39 PM

is thread #1 talking about a full album leak, though? seems to me that Blitzkrieg accidentally leaked two songs.

#47 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6268 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

That Daniel P Carter guy who does Radio One's rock show looks like a fucking Guinea Pig.

#48 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:52 PM

Racist

#49 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6268 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 15 April 2020 - 05:46 PM

Daniel P Carter of Radio One's rock show:

10890765.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=resp

A guinea pig:

p05tk5w0.jpg

A racist:

AI_Video-Warrington.jpg

#50 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:11 AM

Well alguien adelanto la navidad:

http://www.themarbleshrine.com/

#51 flipzoso

flipzoso

Custom Rank

• Party Members
  • 7162 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:26 AM

Well alguien adelanto la navidad:

http://www.themarbleshrine.com/

What the-- when did this come back?

I know this seems odd because I had a hand in its origin, but I thought this all faded?

I guess...cool! Well @rroseselavy there ya go, if helpful.

I think there's some data lost from that database though, like show notes?

#52 brucef

brucef

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Joined 26-February 16

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:37 AM

Today i guess, en facebook esta el post del dueño de esa pagina: 

is now back, though in a limited capacity for the time being. Right now, the only active pages are the show pages. We still have all the data from the previous version of the website, so nothing has been lost - don't worry.
For context: The Marble Shrine was created in 2010 as a torrent tracker for bootlegs, but evolved into a fan-created information repository about The Mars Volta - featuring setlists, notes from shows, videos, photos, and yes - bootlegs.
The website was quickly built without much thought put into how the data was structured - so as TMV fractured into Vato Negro, ORLG, Zavalas and more, we had a really hard time correctly categorizing the information. Bands are complex and the data isn't very standardized, so the site's database spiraled into chaos. For the first 5 years, we were just logging into the database and entering information - no administration system at all.
In 2018, I pulled the entire site off the server, exported the database, and setup a new, faster server - and then tried to figure out a strategy to categorize all of this data in a way that several people could administer (because I can't do this alone).
Now, we have the ability to track pretty much everything - from the labels, bands, members, albums, songs [live and studio], instruments [live and studio], venues [even the closed ones], and more. It's quite an upgrade, even if the site doesn't look like much yet.
More to come.

Mas info en este grupo de Facebook: 

https://www.facebook...emarsvolta2011/

#53 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 17 April 2020 - 08:59 AM

It came back mere hours after I launched tmvarchive.com and shared it on reddit with a call for help from the community. I take partial credit for bringing it back.

Regarding The Marble Shrine, I'm actually hoping my little document could help bring it back: Either serving as motivation - like who is this dude thinking he could compete with the work of beauty that is TMS as the TMV recording resource with his cheap spreadsheet - or as actual help by collecting additional information, especially about the various post-2010 activities, like the LB dates with Omar on bass or all of the four million concerts Bosnian Rainbows played, as my memory about the events and where to find info about them is still fresh.

#54 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1689 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:35 PM

Today i guess, en facebook esta el post del dueño de esa pagina: 

is now back, though in a limited capacity for the time being. Right now, the only active pages are the show pages. We still have all the data from the previous version of the website, so nothing has been lost - don't worry.
For context: The Marble Shrine was created in 2010 as a torrent tracker for bootlegs, but evolved into a fan-created information repository about The Mars Volta - featuring setlists, notes from shows, videos, photos, and yes - bootlegs.
The website was quickly built without much thought put into how the data was structured - so as TMV fractured into Vato Negro, ORLG, Zavalas and more, we had a really hard time correctly categorizing the information. Bands are complex and the data isn't very standardized, so the site's database spiraled into chaos. For the first 5 years, we were just logging into the database and entering information - no administration system at all.
In 2018, I pulled the entire site off the server, exported the database, and setup a new, faster server - and then tried to figure out a strategy to categorize all of this data in a way that several people could administer (because I can't do this alone).
Now, we have the ability to track pretty much everything - from the labels, bands, members, albums, songs [live and studio], instruments [live and studio], venues [even the closed ones], and more. It's quite an upgrade, even if the site doesn't look like much yet.
More to come.

Mas info en este grupo de Facebook: 

https://www.facebook...emarsvolta2011/

This is great! Thanks for updating us

#55 flipzoso

flipzoso

Custom Rank

• Party Members
  • 7162 posts
  • Joined 24-October 06

Posted 17 April 2020 - 05:29 PM

It came back mere hours after I launched tmvarchive.com and shared it on reddit with a call for help from the community. I take partial credit for bringing it back.

Regarding The Marble Shrine, I'm actually hoping my little document could help bring it back: Either serving as motivation - like who is this dude thinking he could compete with the work of beauty that is TMS as the TMV recording resource with his cheap spreadsheet - or as actual help by collecting additional information, especially about the various post-2010 activities, like the LB dates with Omar on bass or all of the four million concerts Bosnian Rainbows played, as my memory about the events and where to find info about them is still fresh.

Saweet.   :thumbsup_anim:  Here's hoping the collaborative spirit can continue.

#56 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:19 AM

Have to fix up the write-ups on the each era and start writing about some of the better shows.

#57 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6058 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 18 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

For the last London show In Absentia soundboard was leaked as well.  

#58 vacuumo

vacuumo

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:05 PM

i would like to compile TMV-related interviews somewhere. i've got a small personal collection, as i'm sure others do - it'd be nice if we could all pool our stuff together and organize it by date, participant, publication and medium.

maybe i'll talk to TMS about tacking that on? otherwise, if there's sufficient interest, i could be down to whip up some ad-hoc code & website myself if there are some others that would contribute their collected interviews.

#59 Tommo Chocolate

Tommo Chocolate

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Joined 27-April 08

Posted 20 April 2020 - 08:41 PM

never knew about that lost 2008 BBC session, id love to hear it

?
http://forum.thecoma...howtopic=106553

fuck, its out there somewhere. flip, you still got this?

also worth noting that the mtv canada goliath link on there inst for the full song, i used to have it at one point but not anymore

I have a version of Asilos Magdalena that I believe is from this session. Here's a download link.

I don't seem to have the other songs. If I recall correctly they played four songs in total but only three were broadcast, the others being Wax Simulacra and Goliath - but the sound quality was terrible so I didn't keep them. Asilos sounded much better because there are fewer instruments on it. You have to bear in mind that this is the BBC, and their ability to record live music to any decent standard is inconsistent at best.

#60 swan_song1977

swan_song1977

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4007 posts
  • Joined 15-September 08

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:25 AM

never knew about that lost 2008 BBC session, id love to hear it

?
http://forum.thecoma...howtopic=106553

fuck, its out there somewhere. flip, you still got this?

also worth noting that the mtv canada goliath link on there inst for the full song, i used to have it at one point but not anymore

I have a version of Asilos Magdalena that I believe is from this session. Here's a download link.

I don't seem to have the other songs. If I recall correctly they played four songs in total but only three were broadcast, the others being Wax Simulacra and Goliath - but the sound quality was terrible so I didn't keep them. Asilos sounded much better because there are fewer instruments on it. You have to bear in mind that this is the BBC, and their ability to record live music to any decent standard is inconsistent at best.

thanks! bad sound quality or not im a real sucker for an 08 goliath so the possibility of a new proper recording out there is very tantalizing 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users