IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Announcing The Mars Volta Wiki!and we need your help!

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to take this time announce that some of us have indeed been working on a Volta wiki. Which can be found here
http://www.themarbleshrine.com/wiki/
Currently our staff is Buddh4, Monkey King, and myself. The project has only been going for about 2-4 weeks so it is in its earliest of forms. We are learning how to format along the way and because of that you'll notice that its not exactly the prettiest wiki you've ever seen.

That is where we need your help!

3 people with jobs, school, friends, and family, will never be able to finish this project on their own. We need YOUR help. We are working to get the basics in (album tracks, album info, etc) but we need creative and inspired writers to write for us. Please make an account and join us in creating the hub for Volta related info. As it is pretty apparent we are stretching pretty far and wide in terms of what information we will cover on this site feel free to find a section you feel passionate about and get going. If you need a tutorial in how to write in wiki format feel free to ask either of us or (my suggestion) hit edit on an existing wiki page and look at the formatting.

Here are some basics of how to edit the Wiki
http://en.wikipedia....ki/Help:Editing
http://en.wikipedia....edia:Cheatsheet
http://en.wikipedia....elp:Wiki_markup

Many of you are familiar with The Marble Shrine, an amazing existing resource dedicated to all things Volta. You may be wondering what the difference will be between the two....

1. There is a theoretical difference here. TMS operates from the top down with a small staff writing for the public to view. The Wiki is a bottom up approach with anyone contributing to build a huge database of information. Neither direction is wrong, but these are just two different means to an end
2. The Wiki will be covering a much wider area of information. Since it is much easier to write and post info on a wiki it enables us to cover more bases. It will obviously take time before we see everything posted, but ultimately we can stretch pretty far in our information base.
3. The wiki (unlike TMS) will lack the media (youtube videos and audio streaming and hosting) that the TMS has.

So let's talk goals briefly as we need to establish what our end goal is here.

1. To be the #1 information hub for The Mars Volta information
2. To provide a wide variety of sources of information (interviews, articles, write-ups). This will allow fans to have an organized area where they can view Volta (and related) interviews.
3. To provide hypothesized means to songs and albums. This is an area that will obviously be subject to opinion.
4. Provide write-ups for concerts. TMS does an amazing thing by having concert set-lists and media for each show. One way I think this can be expanded upon is to have concert write-ups. There is the obvious danger of trusting opinions and memories from long ago, but the advantage is fans can go to TMS, download a show, then go to the Wiki and read about why that show was important, or what people thought of it. An example of what is being plotted can be seen here ( http://www.themarble...ne.com/wiki/ind ... goose_2006 and yes there is some wrong info there, it was a simple quick example)
5. To allow fans of the band to express their opinions and thoughts by writing about the band in an organized manner.

Again, we are in the earliest of stages and need a lot of help making this come together. We are not attempting to compete with TMS and actually hope to work TOGETHER with them (possibly some cross linking between sites?).

Lets use this thread to post updates as they happen, and to discuss what people wish to write about, what needs to be added, corrected, and so on. The three of us want this to be a positive expedition into creating a Wiki and not something that will create a rift between Wiki fans and TMS fans. We want this to be all one holistic project.

I'm excited to see what you guys are able to contribute. We have seen some amazing writers contribute to this forum and I'd love to see them continue that enthusiasm in a manner that can be archived for future fans.

Thanks,
SNKZato1

#2 andres

andres

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Joined 22-July 11

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Copy Paste of Wikipedia TMV info would serves?

I would like help , but my english is so bad

#3 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

I am ready to translate Spanish articles, interviews and such. I think we should divide to couple of translating units, and each of that unit must contain two members who are able to translate from Spanish to English, and every unit will get all the articles from one year, thus we can have 10 units, for every year. We can select the most important written data here from ever year and then start with the job.

I insist on two people per unit in order for them to be able to consult each other on unknown words, or review each article before it's officially given to you guys.

#4 poega

poega

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Joined 19-September 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:49 PM

This could be pretty sweet; I believe if you include all the "semi-facts" surrounding the band we'll get plenty enough to justify a TMVwiki.

#5 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

I can't do anything right now cuz I'm at work, but this definitely seems interesting. Hopefully later tonight I'll have some time to help out!

#6 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:57 PM

Me, Dante, TDs, Joshua and Caba can work on the articles. Anyone else who speaks Spanish - sign up here- so we can form the units.

Should I begin searching for old articles?

#7 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6821 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:58 PM

I've already contributed tons of stuff and I'm still working on it whenever I have the time. Hopefully we can get this thing rolling.

#8 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

Copy Paste of Wikipedia TMV info would serves?

I would like help , but my english is so bad

Unless the people who wrote those entries are ok with us copy pasting I'd like to avoid that. Just because your english is bad doesn't mean you can't help. We'll need a lot of help digging up interviews and posting them.

#9 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7535 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:00 PM

I am ready to translate Spanish articles, interviews and such. I think we should divide to couple of translating units, and each of that unit must contain two members who are able to translate from Spanish to English, and every unit will get all the articles from one year, thus we can have 10 units, for every year. We can select the most important written data here from ever year and then start with the job.

I insist on two people per unit in order for them to be able to consult each other on unknown words, or review each article before it's officially given to you guys.

Posted Image

#10 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Me, Dante, TDs, Joshua and Caba can work on the articles. Anyone else who speaks Spanish - sign up here- so we can form the units.

please please! You don't need permission to add info. Just go the page and make a sign in name and get cracking any help is super appreciated.

#11 Catafalque7

Catafalque7

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Joined 01-October 08

So... It's really no different than this place other than it's more organized and we can't talk to each other? Seems like a waste of time, so prove me wrong!

#12 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7535 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

Juans and Lars articles should remain as they are now! :biggrin:

#13 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

please please! You don't need permission to add info. Just go the page and make a sign in name and get cracking any help is super appreciated.

I was thinking of translating them in a word document then re-send them to you. Can we work like that? Because I would really like them to go through you first, it's a big responsibility for me.

#14 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

So... It's really no different than this place other than it's more organized and we can't talk to each other? Seems like a waste of time, so prove me wrong!

Organization is a big part of it. It isn't meant to compete with the Coma/Pwna/Umbi or anything like that. It's meant as an organized resource for us to utilize (and waste time on ).

Maybe a bad analogy, but you know if you go into a book store, bands like Led Zeppelin or The Beatles have huge biographical books about them. Its a way for a fan to really dive into the nuances and information about the band in an organized way. The Volta likely won't ever get that so this is our chance to make something for fans new and old to look into the history, find something they wouldn't know (Startled Calf, The Sphincators, and Los Dregtones for example) without having to search forums, its all laid out in a simple manner.

You also have less people in the wiki posting useless images of North Koreans on parade.

#15 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:07 PM

I was thinking of translating them in a word document then re-send them to you. Can we work like that? Because I would really like them to go through you first, it's a big responsibility for me.

If you insist, but its really not necessary. We can always tweak the article once its up there. Just like a wiki nothing about this is permanent, and we can always tool with stuff.

For example you'll see we have a couple articles already in the ATDI section
http://www.themarble.....ws_&_Articles
I can already tell you the formatting isn't 100% and it's just a concept of what can be done.

My e-mail in my profile is probably dated though, you can always PM me.

#16 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7535 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:08 PM

Should I terminate the image of North Koreans on parade? I have organized three units for that. I insist!

:wink:

#17 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:11 PM

Should I terminate the image of North Koreans on parade? I have organized three units for that. I insist!

:wink:

I simply don't understand the point of spamming images instead of giving constructive criticism or comments to this project. If you don't like I can understand, but just to be an ass for not much of a good reason seems pointless.

#18 Champiness

Champiness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Joined 30-April 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:16 PM

Nice! I've already started working on fixing up the lyrics for the Frances songs; whoever did the lyric sheet for that album was absolutely awful.
At some point could we get those little templates down at the bottom of the page like the one at the bottom of TMV's real Wikipedia page? Except instead of being their entire discography it could be all the songs from one album or era, etc.

#19 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7535 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Sorry! The wiki sounds like a really good idea, nothing against that at all. I guess I just have a thing with people acting too ambitious/organized, can't really put it in words.

But I'm not an ass. Take a look around this place and then say that again. :wink:

#20 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5605 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

Nice! I've already started working on fixing up the lyrics for the Frances songs; whoever did the lyric sheet for that album was absolutely awful.
At some point could we get those little templates down at the bottom of the page like the one at the bottom of TMV's real Wikipedia page? Except instead of being their entire discography it could be all the songs from one album or era, etc.

Absolutely...we just gotta figure out how to format. Admittingly that was the biggest weakness for Buddh4, Monkey, and I

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users