IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

What are your 10 fav albums of all time

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

I'm a dad of twins since last year. Because of the whole corona business I've been locked in with them and the missus, listening to lots of music.

I started thinking, one day when they're like 13 or 14 maybe, they might ask me, dad what's your fav album of all time? And then they might check it out. Or maybe they'll hate me by then, we'll see!

Anyways, i realized i wouldn't have an answer to that. Instead, i made a top 10 of what i would assume could be my "of all time" list, with not too many albums that could become, or already are becoming "dated", whatever that means.

So this would be in no particular order, realizing that i guess this is very much a top of the head, spur of the moment type of thing.

Nevertheless, why not? Let's share our top 10 albums "of all time"!

I'll go first:

Zappa - you are what you is
Mastodon - leviathan
Brian jonestown massacre - take it from the man!
Dandy warhols - come down
Flaming lips - oczy mlody
Miles davis - in a silent way
Qotsa - songs for the deaf
Melvins - a senile animal
Prince - lotusflower
Omar - killing tingled

Bonus: basically king gizzard's full current discography excluding the early eps. There is just no choosing with these fools

So there's no tmv in it? And killing tingled? What the hell! But i somehow really really think that record will stay with me. Another option would be un escorpion i guess, but seeing how that disappeared from the internet...

So yeah, let's play!

#2 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7783 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 28 March 2020 - 06:57 PM

Woah, never listened to Killing Tingled before! This sounds good.

Will post list later.

#3 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6280 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:42 PM

Bon idee! My first reaction was "Oczy Mlody?!", but Carl – I will endeavour to listen to all of those records, and consider my own list in due course. Besides the ORL, I only know the QOTSA and Miles Davis records, both good LPs. I recently got the repressed songs for the deaf record, it's a good press. I bought my ex the original press, boy oh boy did that set me back at the time. Anyway, digressing. Seriously thought, Oczy Mlody?

#4 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 28 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

Wow, You Are What You Is and Killing Tingled are quite obscure choices for a Top 10 of all time list!

#5 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:21 PM

Dude oczy mlody is a trip! It's like the happier version of the terror

@rroseselavyy I've only chosen albums of artists of whom i know all albums really well, in order to kinda try to minimize the possibility of some album just ending up in there because of specific nostalgic reasons or smth.

Believe it or not i listened to omar's full discography countless times, like a freak, same with zappa, even with miles haha (excluding the posthumous stuff btw)

Killing tingled is the one i think that stands out the most. Nom de guerre too i guess, but that one i find near unlistenable.

You are what you is: yeah idk,i love that era, basically from sheik yerbouti until them or us. Great guitar solos, almost mike patton-esque eclectic genre shifts. A close second would be ship arriving too late

Meanwhile tmv i think will be one of those nostalgia bands only, like ratm or soad. I love those bands, but i think their classics are not timeless, if you know what i mean? Idk :-)

I mean i am obvs talking out of my ass, but it's also just in good fun

Lookin forward to y'all's lists!

#6 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4766 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

The only TMV album I listen to regularly is Bedlam. That would prob be in the top 10. But idk, it's hard to pick 10.

#7 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 28 March 2020 - 10:21 PM

Meanwhile tmv i think will be one of those nostalgia bands only, like ratm or soad. I love those bands, but i think their classics are not timeless, if you know what i mean? Idk :-)

I get that. Which is weird considering how active I still am on this board. If I'm truly honest with myself it's all because of that magical moment when DITC totally blew me away when I was 15, then seeing them live a year later in early 2008, and being totally enamored with the 4 LPs, De Facto and the few Omar records that were out at that time (AMD, Se Dice, Apocalypse and my favorite: Calibration).

Las Lagrimas De Arakuine is definitely an all-time Top 5 piece of music for me, but I don't know if any other TMV stuff would make my list. Probably Cassandra. It was more a jumping off point for me to to get into more obscure music after only really listening to Classic Rock before that. Discovered half of my favorite bands through TMV: King Crimson, Yes, Fela Kuti, Can, Syd Barrett, Public Image Ltd., The Smiths, Roky Erickson, Terry Reid, Venetian Snares, Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Tubby, Augustus Pablo, Nick Drake, Lungfish, Hella, Lightning Bolt, Wipers, Drive Like Jehu, Jaga Jazzist, Miles Davis' fusion stuff, early ZZ Top, Jaco Pastorius, Siouxsie & The Banshees, The Jesus Lizard, The Fall, Trenchmouth/The Eternals,...

#8 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11608 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:58 AM

A friend of mine posted his top 500 films today, and it got me thinking about doing a top 500 albums so this has been on my mind. This is my top 10, after a bit of thought, not set in stone just yet:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute
Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Forever
Nirvana - In Utero
Oasis - (What's The Story?) Morning Glory
Swervedriver - Ejector Seat Reservation
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf

#9 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9216 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:22 AM

Yeah its hard to choose 10, could easily change on how im feeling that hour or day. And with a sense of guilt to albums i feel like i "should" pick??

Anyway heres smthn

Tera Melos - Patagonian Rats
Armand Hammer - Paraffin
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Slint - Spiderland
Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
Black Eyes - Black Eyes
Parquet Courts - Human Performance
Tim Hecker - Virgins
Billy woods + kenny segal - Hiding Places
Zach Hill - FACE TAT

Its a bit of a sausage party and probably a recency bias, but these are the albums i have a really hard time stopping listening to, or make me feel really intense emotions. FTM, Virgins, Spiderland i dont listen to all that often, but there are few albums that give me the same emotions when i do. I think this is why ranking music is weird, some albums i listen to constantly, others i throw on once a year but they make me cry. Whats better?

#10 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3628 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 29 March 2020 - 04:51 AM

Damn you Patsy, so many artists in your top 10 that could have cracked mine. I almost had the same Parquet Courts album as well.  :gummybear: 

I had this head splitting 5 way tie for my tenth pick, between FlyLo, Iceage, Sun Kil Moon, Swans and This Heat. I was bummed to leave Zach Hill out of the top 10 though, so I busted the old Death Grips wild card.

Anyways, in alphabetical order :

Amen Dunes - Freedom
Black Eyes - Black Eyes

Colin Stetson & Sarah Neufeld - Never Were The Way She Was
Death Grips - Niggas On The Moon

Fishmans - Long Season

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

Midori Takada - Through The Looking Glass

Preoccupations - Viet Cong

The Mars Volta - Amputechture

And a random bonus song, probably my go-to song when I don't know what to listen or when I have to make a single recommandation : Exploded View - Orlando

#11 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 29 March 2020 - 06:13 AM

A friend of mine posted his top 500 films today, and it got me thinking about doing a top 500 albums so this has been on my mind. This is my top 10, after a bit of thought, not set in stone just yet:

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Nirvana - In Utero

A good list that, mezzanine would def end up high with me as well, most of these albums would for sure end up in my top 50, or top 30 even. Never heard of swervedriver though, might check that out. And oasis, maybe that's just a British thing, but i can't get into them. Never could

#12 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6280 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 29 March 2020 - 08:37 AM

Must have thought about these in my sleep. In no particular order:

Yes - Going For the One
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - The Century of Self

Liars - Drum’s Not Dead
Tool - Aenima

Godspeed You! Black Emperor  - Yanqui U.X.O.

The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Flaming Lips - The Terror
Radiohead - Kid A
Sturgill Simpson - Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
Oneida - Happy New Year

There's so much I've left out here, but I suppose these are my (current) favourites. Lastly, a bonus song :)

And very sorry, but women, you vast homogenous group you, what can I say? Make better music.

#13 rroseselavy

rroseselavy

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 233 posts
  • Joined 13-December 19

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:50 AM

Let‘s see how this ages:

Lungfish - Talking Songs For Walking
The Smiths - Hatful Of Hollow
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Bill Fay - Time Of The Last Persecution
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Hella - Hold Your Horse Is
Venetian Snares - Hospitality
Oxbow - Thin Black Duke
Fela Kuti - Unknown Soldier

#14 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:58 AM

@indrossi

I always wanted to get into ...and you will know us

What's cool about them? Where should i start?

#15 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11608 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:59 AM

Radiohead - In Rainbows
Nirvana - In Utero

A good list that, mezzanine would def end up high with me as well, most of these albums would for sure end up in my top 50, or top 30 even. Never heard of swervedriver though, might check that out. And oasis, maybe that's just a British thing, but i can't get into them. Never could

Ah yes, my brother. We share music taste, I wish I shared at least 10% of your handsomeness too. Oasis is more of a personal pick for me, that album is basically what got me into music and I've heard that album more than anything else.

Swervedriver are an obscure shoegaze/indie/grunge band from Oxford that I stumbled across about 20 years ago and have loved ever since. I met them all after a gig in Sheffield 5 years ago and they're really cool guys.

#16 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6280 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:13 PM

@Carl, Trail of Dead... They always had this cult appeal in the UK. I missed them at the time but they were always on my list of bands I'd wanted to listen to but hadn't. So, two friends who started out making hardcore punk and rock music, found success doing that (Pitchfork giving Source Codes And Tags a 10), but wanted to get ever more progressive and indulgent as time went on, lost a lot of their audience and critical acclaim, but kept at it with a revolving cast of musicians around them (does any of this sound familiar?)... I don't much like their early stuff, or indeed a lot of their discography, but Century of Self is just a bona fide masterpiece. Both that album and Tao Of The Dead were recorded pretty much live (sans vocals) and really capture their power – are my favourites (although the new album, reverting to them being a duo again, is surprisingly good). CoS  is named after a wonderful Adam Curtis documentary. Conrad Keeley lived in Cambodia for a while, I decided to get into them while I was travelling Cambodia, which no doubt helped and brings back lovely memories– his solo album is a mixed bag, but really evocative of a British chap living out in that mad, beautiful country. He's also a fantastic artist, drew most of their album art himself (Century of Self entirely with a blue biro). I could go on but really just listen to those two records :)

I'm already arguing with myself over a couple of the records in my list, but whatever it made sense when I woke up.

#17 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:03 PM

Thanks that was just the encouragement i needed. They also were on my list of bands to get into since forever. I just started now with three beginning, but i am looking forward to your two picks ad pay extra attention! Really liked three first album btw, this is promising stuff.

#18 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 29 March 2020 - 01:04 PM

And yeah, i made a second, alternative top 10 in my head, that included nin, John frusciante, Radiohead, tool, etc. There's no way limiting it to ten i guess Haha

#19 temporal lob

temporal lob

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined 02-September 13

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

In somewhat chronological order.

King Crimson - Red
Rush - A Farewell to Kings.
Captain Beefheart- Shiny Beast- Bat Chain Puller.
Rites of Spring - S/T
Black Flag - My War
Dinosaur jr - Your Living all over me
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Smashing Pumkins - Gish
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Meshuggah- Destroy Erase Improve
Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Mastodon - Leviathan
Opeth -Blackwater Park
Baroness- Red Album
Deerhoof - The Magic
Pissed Jeans - King of Jeans
The Odious- Vescia Piscis
Damn, that's 18 already.
I'll stop now.
Ten is in no way enough really.

#20 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • 10327 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 29 March 2020 - 03:27 PM

In somewhat chronological order.

King Crimson - Red
Rush - A Farewell to Kings.
Captain Beefheart- Shiny Beast- Bat Chain Puller.
Rites of Spring - S/T
Black Flag - My War
Dinosaur jr - Your Living all over me
Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium
Smashing Pumkins - Gish
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
Meshuggah- Destroy Erase Improve
Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath
Mastodon - Leviathan
Opeth -Blackwater Park
Baroness- Red Album