IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Techno/Electronica fanswhat do you suggest?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 MeccaRoy

MeccaRoy

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1667 posts
  • Joined 05-February 07

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:51 AM

Nobody has put this up yet but BT is fucking amazing, i know his latest album ( this binary Universe) isn't very "dancey" but put that cd on a 5.1 system and you will be in awe. but if you want dancy stuff try "movement in still motion" and "Emotional Technology" both very very good. and Yes prodigy "Always Out numbered never out gunned" is the Bomb plus if you want a mash up their album "the dirtchamber sessions Vol 1" is great!

#62 twoism

twoism

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts
  • Joined 04-February 07

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:54 AM

bt is awful

#63 ToastyFun

ToastyFun

...god did, when he killed my wife

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6128 posts
  • Joined 06-June 05

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:52 AM

bt is awful

bt is one of the first artists you ever sent me thru aim, and ive honestly never listened to it once. :\

#64 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:12 PM

ah neat. i'll look for it.

any of you guys into fennesz? i have this remix of a junior boys song he did, and its just fucking wicked. but i've been hesitant to buy an album of his become yeah, it might just be noise? :)

Yeah, on first guess, I don't think you'll like him. The hooks are definitely there, but in fragments of noise like you said. It's the sort of stuff that creeps up on you. He seems capable of a lot of different things though.

#65 Myrmecophile

Myrmecophile

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4049 posts
  • Joined 10-January 06
  • Interests:the floor; creating physical space; smoothed concrete; slight angles; profound superficiality; the headlight warning tone from a 1993 Ford Mondeo; detail; Baroque; debate; the mythology of the naïf; neckerchiefs...etc

Posted 16 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

I absolutely adore Blemish by David Sylvian, Christian Fennesz and Derek Bailey. One of the best bands I've ever heard of.

#66 whorepresents?

whorepresents?

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 20199 posts
  • Joined 08-May 05

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:26 PM

Posted Image

An old classic for me, both cover and song-wise. At first you think it sounds too dated for its own good, but then all those straightforward synths and sequenced patterns just work magic. Definitely much more transcendent than Tangerine Dream to me.

just got that, its pretty damn good
reminds me of trans europe express

#67 Mopho

Mopho

peanut butter and jaaaaammm!!

• Members
  • 6167 posts
  • Joined 26-October 06

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

that always kind of occurs me when i'm gonna get some older techno

how old is this exactly? etc, etc. i don't know why it occurs to me, but for some reason i just usually think that if its old its gonna sound dated. even tho i love kraftwerk. i'll check out this "stuntman"

is it ambience? i tend to try to avoid most krautrock, just too trippy for me

You should check this out. It's ten years old but it's still awesome. I rated it in my top 10 albums from the 90's.
It's on oink.

Speedy J: Public Energy no. 1

Posted Image

#68 musek

musek

afro-beat

• Members
  • 8623 posts
  • Joined 09-May 04

Posted 16 April 2007 - 06:05 PM

I really liked The Field interview on Pitchfork today, it's neat how he describes his process.

http://www.pitchfork...rview-the-field

"Pitchfork: I don't need every detail, but what is the process?

Field: The process starts at this moment when I hear there's a song a want to make something else. And I sample it, looking for bits and pieces in it that I really like and I'm trying to rearrange it. It could go backwards, forwards, sideways, everywhere, you know? Double it, loop some new things, new instruments, like the guitar in the software. And of course the beat. That's probably the whole thing. Then I mix it live. Always. "

I really love how he plays with your expectation as a listener. This might be an unfounded comparison, but in the way that 4'33 is very precise in its time limit, the drones on the song The Deal just feels very similiar. it's just incredibly soothing. there's really not a lot to the music, but the ways that he splits up incredibly complicated and technical peices of guitar, drums, vocals, and makes it into something simple and plays a 4-4 beat in that back. it just ends up being beautiful music.

#69 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 04 March 2019 - 05:42 PM

Just read that Keith Flint (lead singer of Prodigy) killed himself over the weekend. Pretty sad shit. Any Prodigy fans out there?

#70 Fonz

Fonz

Truth soldier

• Members
  • 8223 posts
  • Joined 13-October 06
  • Interests:Writing, Music, Film.
  • Facebook

Posted 04 March 2019 - 06:12 PM

Wtf that sucks. Their newest album was mediocre to pretty decent. Still that blows.

#71 Ghost Of Shark Horse

Ghost Of Shark Horse

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1552 posts
  • Joined 15-June 15

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:13 PM

Just read that Keith Flint (lead singer of Prodigy) killed himself over the weekend. Pretty sad shit. Any Prodigy fans out there?

Really sad about this... They were my first ever concert in Dec 97. Was such a great gig. Proper bummed out :(

#72 swoonlp

swoonlp

Underneath the surface

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3601 posts
  • Joined 12-October 13

Posted 05 March 2019 - 12:46 PM

Wow, never realised there was a thread for techno here. Any peeps here still into that, whether it's old school or more recent techno and other derivated genres ?

Bummed about Keith Flint, I recently rediscovered the Prodigy and they have some incredible cuts that still feel fresh today.

#73 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:54 PM

Dunno how bummed I should be about Flint. The Prodigy was pretty big in my life when I was young, but none of the music was actually created by him. Only impactful thing was the Firestarter video. It's obviously sad that he comitted suicide.

I'm psyched that the new Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music will come out this year. The old one was hands down the best musicology website I've ever seen.

#74 Petra

Petra

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Joined 16-February 09

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:10 PM

Wow, never realised there was a thread for techno here. Any peeps here still into that, whether it's old school or more recent techno and other derivated genres

My years of going to raves (and the golden era of raves in Minneapolis/St.Paul) was in the late 90's early 00's so my techno favorites are from that era. Sasha % Digweed (progressive trance), Danny Tenaglia (tribal house/ trance), Infected Mushroom (goa and Psyc trance), Dj Icey (breakbeats), Mark Farina (mushroom jazz) Carl Cox (techno/house), and of course Paul Oakenfold (goa/epic/mainstream trance). There are many others I could go on and on and on....

#75 A\/\/

A\/\/

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 153 posts
  • Joined 09-December 18

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:19 PM

I'm psyched that the new Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music will come out this year. The old one was hands down the best musicology website I've ever seen.

and here it is:

http://music.ishkur.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users