IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury (new album)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1161 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:53 PM

I'm sort of surprised there's no topic on Sturgill.  I know most of his work is country, but his Metamodern album broke some new ground with blending psych-rock with country, and Sailor's Guide (last album) was basically a full orchestra country-ish album.  This new album, Sound and Fury, is a completely different beast. It's like a rock-synth acid trip.

Backstory on the album - He had surgery on his nose a year or two ago because he kept getting sick.  He didn't want to take painkillers so just smoked a ton of weed for the pain and wrote the album while he was recovering.  He also created an anime movie for which the album is the soundtrack, out on Netflix today.

Here's a song from the album:

https://www.youtube....h?v=RfV9JmLytXI

#2 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5710 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:00 PM

Metamodern is one of my favourite albums of recent years. I saw him play on that tour in Islington Town Hall, he put on a fantastic gig. The next album didn't quite hit the same buttons, but I'm really looking forward to this record.

Whoever said weed and painkillers were mutually exclusive, though?

#3 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1161 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:38 PM

It's hard to top Metamodern.  I hated country music for a long time, but that album changed my mind...it blew me away.

I saw him on the last tour and he pretty much played every song from all 3 of his albums.  It was awesome.

I got the new album on repeat today and it's so freaking good.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users