IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

OCTAHEDRON (LP5) to be released on JUNE...19th (AUS), 22nd (UK), 23rd (US/CAN)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1133 replies to this topic

#41 ryan

ryan

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Joined 09-November 08
  • Interests:music and skateboarding

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:44 PM

im scared.

#42 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2654 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

I've got a feelin Omar's gonna release an album of Widows.. just to piss off hardcore fans.. selling out for the lulz.

He'll then break up the Mars Volta citing creative differences with himself and focuse on a directing career. Ximena will star in all his movies.. and Cedric will be assigned to clean her shoes.

Cedric will grow old of this of course and he'll call up Jim, apologize for being ass.. and Jim will forgive him.

They'll reunite atdi and go on to sell millions of albums.

Omar will finally release the Mars Volta documentry he'd apparently been filming since the band started. It will turn out to be 5 minutes of him taking a shit, followed by a 3 hour extended version of Mr Muggs.

well that settles that. lets go home

#43 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

Triple J just announced the date, not the name, right?

Can someone translate that German article? What's their source?

#44 cragget

cragget

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1821 posts
  • Joined 24-April 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

They announced the name.

Are you ready for this? I'm pretty sure I'm the first person on this thread to say this... It's called...

Brace yourself...

Octahedron.

Are you still with us???

.... shit... better call an ambulance. This person needs CPR...

#45 Blankxpression

Blankxpression

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts
  • Joined 08-September 06

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Octalulz.. my birfday is on the 16th so hopefully we'll have a leak by then and I'll go buy a copy when its released.

Most accessible album yet? =( 'Beneath the eyelids' was pretty poppy.. and Thomas did say there was gonna be ballads on it. But then again Frusciante said it was something pretty different... aw sheet, im giddy already.

NICE, IM NOT THE ONLY JUNE 16TH BIRTHDAY ON HERE, HOW DO I ALWAYS RUN INTO YOU PEOPLE STEALING MY BIRTHDAY DAMMIT!

#46 Sybrand

Sybrand

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 148 posts
  • Joined 05-March 05
  • Interests:Music and sports.
  • Twitter

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

On June 19, 2009, The Mars Volta will release their fifth studioalbum. This new work will be called "Octahedron".

The Mars Volta were found in 2001 by Cedric and Omar. The album by the band that started when the legendary At The Drive-In broke up, was produced by founding member Omar himself.

Their previous albums "De-Loused In The Comatorium" (2003), co-produced by Rick Rubin, "Frances The Mute" (2005), "Amputechture" (2006) and "The Bedlam In Goliath" (2008) were musical masterpieces, and did not fill the gap that At The Drive-In had left, but it brought the band and their always changing live-line-up a further level in their artistic creatings.

The German fans of the band are lucky next summer:
THE MARS VOLTA live:
20.06.2009 – Hurricane Festival
21.06.2009 – Southside Festival
29.06.2009 - Düsseldorf - Stahlwerk

Or something like that. The last sentence of the 3rd paragraph is fucked up, I know. But there's not a lot of news in the article except for that first bit. And they didn't mention a source.

#47 daveion

daveion

El Guapo

• Coma Donor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3159 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:18 PM

Interesting, not the kind of name I was expecting. Maybe it has something to do with dice like someone mentioned. That might be part of the concept, Cedric does love his allusions to dice. Plus 8 members in the band = octa.

#48 itsgonrain

itsgonrain

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1156 posts
  • Joined 13-September 08

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

gooood, very gooood

#49 Walter Migillicutti III

Walter Migillicutti III

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1591 posts
  • Joined 01-March 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:37 PM

It's a one word title for god's sake. Who needs a fucking abreviation? i swear there are some real turd mongers around here.

#50 moo cow

moo cow

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Joined 03-December 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

The natural abbreviation would be OCT..... DITC, FTM, AMP, TBIG, OCT.

#51 Notam

Notam

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2459 posts
  • Joined 20-February 07

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

It's a one word title for god's sake. Who needs a fucking abreviation? i swear there are some real turd mongers around here.

we've been calling Amputechture "AMP" forever. Octahedron will probably follow suit with "OCT" or something.

(but the name sounds like a bad joke. ah well, fuck the title... let's just hear the music!)

#52 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:05 PM

WTF!!!!! i'm studying maths, i just love tmv for choosing that WONDERFUL & MEANINGFUL name, yeah.
i don't want to sound this prepotent but imo you have to be such an ignoramus to say an octa is only "a shape".

anyway... do you think it will have 8 songs, or...?

haha @ drew. I hope this does come out in June, my birthday!

wow!!! mine is also in June!!! i guess we've already chosen the present we want... :)

PS. uhm, here's something cool i found on the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexany

birffday is the 20th of June - with all good luck, I should be downloading the leak as I turn 25!

...time to go read the rest of this thread nows

#53 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:11 PM

Interesting, not the kind of name I was expecting. Maybe it has something to do with dice like someone mentioned. That might be part of the concept, Cedric does love his allusions to dice. Plus 8 members in the band = octa.

Yea considering this is Omer's big FAIRWELL to the Universal record label, possibly the last record under the name The Mars Volta? Anybody know? Does Omar have the right to that name, or is it Universal's? I'm pretty sure whenever a big artist ends his contract, his name is taken from him *cough the artist formerly known as prince* or was that just another marketing scheme? (well I know it was a marketing scheme, but... was it JUST a marketing scheme?)

back on track: SO maybe the name "Octahedron" and the toned down nature of the CD is literally just to give Universal "a bunch of Widows", name it "8-headed monster" to emphasize the coolness factor of the band, and get the name out there as much as possible? Milk Universal for all it's worth?

Translation of stoner-think "Octahedron" meaning: THIS IS THE EIGHT MEMBER BAND. LAST CHANCE TO GET IN BEFORE THE MASS MARKET DOORS CLOSE.

PS yes I do feel it's necessary to cover this board with hearts.

#54 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:14 PM

SORRY MODS I JUST CANT STOP THINKING ABOUT THIS ( :starwars: )

Maybe Octahedron has something to do with the movie(s) Cube? Cube: Hypercube, etc? The original had the most philosophy in it: basically it was a metaphor for the machine that we build for ourselves called reality, in which every way you go, you can die, and even the lucky ones who get outside the box just escape to another level of the same bullshit (hence bad sequels)...

Anybody? Anybody?

#55 DeLoused21

DeLoused21

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 10-March 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:25 PM

there is no meaning behind why they chose to name it octahedron, other then because cedric thinks it sounds cool. stop looking so deep into things, it's annoying

#56 Aesop Rocks

Aesop Rocks

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Joined 27-February 07

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:27 PM

I think it goes as deep as the fact that there are 8 people in the band. That's it.

#57 oui

oui

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Joined 09-May 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:28 PM

Yea considering this is Omer's big FAIRWELL to the Universal record label, possibly the last record under the name The Mars Volta? Anybody know? Does Omar have the right to that name, or is it Universal's? I'm pretty sure whenever a big artist ends his contract, his name is taken from him *cough the artist formerly known as prince* or was that just another marketing scheme? (well I know it was a marketing scheme, but... was it JUST a marketing scheme?)

Unless there's some stupidly weird clause in their contract, I don't see why they wouldn't own their own band name.

on topic: this thread is eventually going to go to shit until there's a tracklist or a leak.

#58 somber_vertigo

somber_vertigo

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • Joined 09-April 05

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

On June 19, 2009, The Mars Volta will release their fifth studioalbum. This new work will be called "Octahedron".

The Mars Volta were found in 2001 by Cedric and Omar. The album by the band that started when the legendary At The Drive-In broke up, was produced by founding member Omar himself.

Their previous albums "De-Loused In The Comatorium" (2003), co-produced by Rick Rubin, "Frances The Mute" (2005), "Amputechture" (2006) and "The Bedlam In Goliath" (2008) were musical masterpieces, and did not fill the gap that At The Drive-In had left, but it brought the band and their always changing live-line-up a further level in their artistic creatings.

The German fans of the band are lucky next summer:
THE MARS VOLTA live:
20.06.2009 – Hurricane Festival
21.06.2009 – Southside Festival
29.06.2009 - Düsseldorf - Stahlwerk

Or something like that. The last sentence of the 3rd paragraph is fucked up, I know. But there's not a lot of news in the article except for that first bit. And they didn't mention a source.

Well we shouldn't be jumping the gun, then. The title could just be a rumor. I want to see "According to Omar Rodriguez-Lopez..." or "According to Universal..." An official press release or something. Otherwise, I'm not sold.

I'm not even staunchly opposed to the title or anything. I just don't like to see people invest trust in sourceless information.

#59 scraps

scraps

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:58 PM

Octahedron? they should call it Octomom, to give it publisicty

:unsure:

#60 Dandelion

Dandelion