IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Malkin Jewel Fan Video ContestWho's Gonna Do It?

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

#1 brian2otis

brian2otis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Joined 12-July 04
  • Interests:bass-playing<br />food<br />nature<br />friendly folks<br />wierd music<br />other stuff

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:22 AM

Hey y'all, I didn't see an official thread for this, soo... yeah. I was kinda thinking about trying to make something, but yeesh they want it by 3/23 and that's not very much time! Anyone else thinking about trying to submit something? You can win $500 at Best Buy and some TMV merch apparently.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#2 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Interests:art, literature, music, philosophy, spirituality
  • Facebook

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:43 AM

I'd like to, but my idea is an animation and I dunno I can get it done in any kinda time. Posed a figure in Poser and am spinning her and will do sketches, but that's all of about two seconds of the song planned and not even executed yet.

Dunno. They should have an illustration contest instead.

#3 johnb820

johnb820

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1133 posts
  • Joined 03-May 06
  • Twitter

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:38 AM

Hahahahahaha, they are getting the fans to make their music video now? And they want it submitted before the album drops? Soon WB will pay fans 500 bucks and a gift card to taco bell to make LP7. What a joke.

#4 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:55 AM

I admit they should have given a longer time frame for this, but it could yield some cool results. It's not exactly like Omar has a lot of free time right now, between TMV tours, ATDI tours, Los Chidos and whatever else the guy has going on, it makes sense that he doesn't really have the time to do a music video. He's only human. I think.

#5 Seraphim

Seraphim

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 07-November 10

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

I might try, my Spring Break is coming up.

#6 Champiness

Champiness

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 734 posts
  • Joined 30-April 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:30 AM

Kind of a jerk move of WB's part, but nonetheless - if there's a fandom to ask this of, it's the Volta fandom. I've seen some really amazing art come out of this place, so it warms my heart to think that some small portion of it might become official material. Give it your all, guys!

#7 Moosetrosity

Moosetrosity

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts
  • Joined 01-November 05
  • Interests:living life to the fullest and never fucking being complacent with any and everything
  • Twitter

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:42 AM

I'll just eat a bunch of mexican food and record me shitting naked with malkin jewel dubbed over the video......just made an easy 500 bucks

#8 psychoshamanism

psychoshamanism

nada sin ti

• Members
  • 7800 posts
  • Joined 03-May 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:44 AM

I'll just eat a bunch of mexican food and record me shitting naked with malkin jewel dubbed over the video......just made an easy 500 bucks

I'd vote for this...

#9 pleather

pleather

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:08 AM

Fuck, I want to do this so bad, but what a time constraint...

#10 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Coma Donor
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:12 AM

I have absolutely nothing to do for the next couple weeks... Malkin Jewel, here we come! :P

#11 pleather

pleather

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:30 AM

I might have to cannibalize my El Grupo video, it's only had 100 hits...

#12 lingual

lingual

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Joined 31-July 07

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

Are we allowed to use clips of videos.. IS there an open source video website that you can use clips to apply to a video without copyright infringement? Or anything like that?

#13 pleather

pleather

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Joined 02-August 09

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:52 AM

Are we allowed to use clips of videos.. IS there an open source video website that you can use clips to apply to a video without copyright infringement? Or anything like that?

Good question.

#14 brian2otis

brian2otis

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Joined 12-July 04
  • Interests:bass-playing<br />food<br />nature<br />friendly folks<br />wierd music<br />other stuff

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

I was wondering that too... all it says is "no covers"... seems pretty open-ended besides that

#15 Seraphim

Seraphim

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 07-November 10

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

I'm probably going to try and film a bunch of disturbing images that reinforce the song rather than trying to make a video proper...it's going to be very, very lo-fi...lol

#16 sangreobscura

sangreobscura

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • Joined 29-June 06
  • Myspace

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

i'm in...

#17 Yavimaya

Yavimaya

I got custom skanx

• Members
  • 18692 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

This is for official channels, They asked for it to be done, they have not stated that it must be original material.
I would not worry one iota about copyright infringement, If you win and they sue you, take it to the media.

I think it would be funny if we all showed them that we appreciate them but cannot be used like slaves, i think we should all vote for the shittest video. <- i am not against Volta doing this however.

Sure Omar is busy, but there is shit he should be concentrating on (TSES, LP6 Vids and Tour, ATDI), but instead hes doing Los Chidos and Le Butch tours...... And they wonder why we bitch.... TSES has been put on the backburner for almost 2 years, maybe longer, it will become a "its too old, im not releasing that" project...

#18 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Facebook

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

Started sketching tonight but there's no way in hell I'd even manage to get a storyboard done by the deadline. However, it did inspire me to start on some drawings on the theme of the spindle-swaddled woman as music box wrathful dakini ballerina nursing infants whom she morphs into cannibalistic demons stripping her bones clean amidst the swirling cataclysm of Vajrayogini's yantra hearth.

That should be fun.

#19 Egle

Egle

Phra-Men-Ma

• Members
  • 9845 posts
  • Joined 07-July 04
  • Facebook

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Oh, and re: you guys all feeling "exploited" and whatnot -- R.E.M. requested fan-made videos that they released along with the official videos for the Accelerate album, no "prizes" involved, and it was just fucking cool! Get your heads out of your pockets and have some damn collaborative fun. If you feel like "slaves," don't bloody bother. Jeez! This could be really awesome and creative, and sure as hell beats arguing about Tul and whether or not you reckon the band is doomed. Right?

#20 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • 6834 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

Yeah Trent Reznor had a fan music video "contest" for Ghosts as well, I don't know why people are complaining about this (but yeah the time frame is pretty short). Besides, Cathy just posted this the other day:

Is RLP working on a musicvideo for anything off Noctourniquet?

yes

So it's not like they are just being lazy and not making their own music video. As someone else said this was probably a reaction from them seeing that promo video made by fans.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users