IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Going Deep with Omar Rodriguez-LopezCity Arts Online Interview

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 chockes09

chockes09

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts
  • Joined 24-November 10

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

Omar finally has the drummer he's always wanted, ill be really surprised if we dont hear anymore from TMV

#22 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7629 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Great interview!

#23 CUNTALOUPE

CUNTALOUPE

Xochiquetzal Brunhild

• Members
  • 8541 posts
  • Joined 15-March 05

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

i thought the most interesting part of that interview is his apparent openness to possibly do music with at the drive in again.

#24 ThaiNoodles

ThaiNoodles

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1672 posts
  • Joined 20-March 05
  • Interests:Sacrificing children. Chocolate Milk. Birthday Parties

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

i thought the most interesting part of that interview is his apparent openness to possibly do music with at the drive in again.

I can see that being a disaster though since he doesn't want to play the old stuff. I already have assholes yelling "play cosmonaut!" at ORLG shows, imagine at an ATDI show, it would be super annoying.

#25 Counting The Toll

Counting The Toll

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2068 posts
  • Joined 18-January 06

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

That interview made me cry. I miss Omar, and I feel sad that his Mother passed away :( He is an amazing individual, and such a brilliant human being. I love everything about him. Hopefully I'll get to talk to him on Halloween.

Are you a ucr student by any chance? Im so fukin excited for this shit too lol. This is the first time since i was a little kid that halloween has become exciting again hah.

I'm not currently enrolled at UCR, but I went there for three years. Do you go to UCR? Let's chill at the show!

Yea im a senior. THis omar show was like the best gift lol. im down to meet up and chill before the show.

Sweet dude! That's rad you're in your fourth year there! Awesome! I'll message you my number and we can meet up! ;D

#26 SolarGambling69

SolarGambling69

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • Interests:Kantutan

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

That interview made me cry. I miss Omar, and I feel sad that his Mother passed away :( He is an amazing individual, and such a brilliant human being. I love everything about him. Hopefully I'll get to talk to him on Halloween.

Are you a ucr student by any chance? Im so fukin excited for this shit too lol. This is the first time since i was a little kid that halloween has become exciting again hah.

I'm not currently enrolled at UCR, but I went there for three years. Do you go to UCR? Let's chill at the show!

Yea im a senior. THis omar show was like the best gift lol. im down to meet up and chill before the show.

Sweet dude! That's rad you're in your fourth year there! Awesome! I'll message you my number and we can meet up! ;D

Just send private messages to each other.

#27 SolarGambling69

SolarGambling69

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12
  • Interests:Kantutan

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:23 PM

Just send private messages to each other.

#28 Lantros

Lantros

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Joined 30-September 09

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Great interview. His honesty is so unique in music business.

I donīt worry about TMV. Omar will do music for the next years. Thats all iīm interested in.

#29 devildreams

devildreams

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 05-October 09

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:43 PM

Amazing interview, probably one of the best, if not, the best I have read. Volta or no Volta, I am just happy he is following his instincts, like always, and just doing what he does. He's a massive inspiration for me as an artist and I am stoked to have gotten 6 LP's from TMV, (not to even mention his many outstanding solo LP's) any more TMV at this point is just a bonus and I look forward to his future output, whatever the name of the project. Even the last few electronic albums which I am not super into, I fully respect, purely because it is coming from a real place which is what attracted me to him in the first place... Thank you Omar :)

#30 WhipHand

WhipHand

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Maybe now we'll get that DVD..

I think The Sentimental Engine Slayer is on indefinite hiatus.

#31 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7629 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

^Not that one!

#32 WhipHand

WhipHand

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts
  • Joined 28-August 12

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

^Not that one!

Which one?

#33 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

The supposed TMV documentary that wouldn't be released until they broke up.

#34 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2900 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:33 PM

For the movie....the most recent news was that Omar will be handing all footage over to a filmmaker. Because he thinks if he edits, etc..he'll try to paint the band in the best light and leave out all the negative stuff. I think that's a great choice. The only thing im worrying about is that shit Thomas Pridgen signed, or had them sign rather...where they can't release anything with him on it. (at least that's what i heard about a year ago...was it Cedric who said this?) Hopefully they patch things up with Thomas before they do it, or else why bother releasing a film without the Bedlam/Octa era. I want the complete story.

Another good thing to come out of this eventual breakup? The 3 instrumental LP's between the Volta records. As well as that live dvd with Thomas from 2007 that was supposed to be out 4 years ago. Hopefully some of this stuff will get out.

There's at least 1 album (with Jon?) between Deloused & Frances. I guess most of Old Money was between Frances & Amp. There's the 1 track album that has the Jacob Jam on it (Blake or Deantoni on drums??) which was done between Amp and Bedlam. And last there's that stripped down/aggressive album they did with Thomas right after Octahedron.

Anyways im happy wherever Omar goes. Bosnian Rainbows is kicking my ass right now. So i'm up for anything. I'm just excited to get some unreleased stuff from Omars archives once TMV are finished. Maybe they should do a box-set once the film is ready :smile:

#35 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Another good thing to come out of this eventual breakup? The 3 instrumental LP's between the Volta records... There's at least 1 album (with Jon?) between Deloused & Frances. I guess most of Old Money was between Frances & Amp. There's the 1 track album that has the Jacob Jam on it (Blake or Deantoni on drums??) which was done between Amp and Bedlam. And last there's that stripped down/aggressive album they did with Thomas right after Octahedron.

Why would those see the light of day? I thought Omar didn't release them because they weren't up to his standards.

#36 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2900 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:12 PM

It's possible they'll never see the light of day. But if we got Old Money, anything can come out.

#37 iamisandisnt

iamisandisnt

The joke is INSIDE the joke!

• Members
  • 13056 posts
  • Joined 09-February 06

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

I thought he did say they would see the light of day as part of the documentary, not as a professional release, but just a retrospective at what "could have been" if you will.

#38 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • 2900 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:29 PM

Oh ya?

#39 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6105 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

Omar has said a lot of things. Don't believe anything exists until it's in your hands.

Edit: I preordered that TMV book that was supposed to come out in December but got pushed back to February, I'm not entirely convinced I'll ever actually get it.

#40 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

I can see that being a disaster though since he doesn't want to play the old stuff. I already have assholes yelling "play cosmonaut!" at ORLG shows, imagine at an ATDI show, it would be super annoying.

You must admit though, Omar is one of the rare few who doesn't play any music from the bands that made him famous. Think of the endless list of "solo" artists who play shows featuring mostly, if not entirely, music from the bands that made them famous. It's almost like this ingrained expectation of the listener for Omar to play at least something or another from ATDI or Mars Volta.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users