IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Mr Bungle

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Sean McGeezer

Sean McGeezer

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 23-October 04
  • Interests:Music and stuff.

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

It's been a while since I listened to my Bungle records so maybe I got the wrong song but Mr Bungle IS listed as one of Volta's influences so it's not THAT far off base like most of you seem to think.

#22 Fantomahawk

Fantomahawk

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:13 AM

Wow I would never have picked them as one of the Volta's influences! There are also a lot of people around who are saying that the Mars Volta are very similar to Rush and have taked most of their influences from them...

#23 jjjaassoonn

jjjaassoonn

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 22-January 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:17 AM

generally, there are alot of similarities, not necessarily in these two songs.

View Post

You mean like sound-wise? I might be missing something.

View Post

i agree with maze . my personal feeling is tmv is much better than bungle.

#24 prehistoric

prehistoric

Ukiyo-e

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9111 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:21 AM

Disco Volante is such a fantastic album, I love it.
As for the similarities, I couldn't care. I like The Mars Volta & Mr. Bungle both.

#25 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:28 AM

It's been a while since I listened to my Bungle records so maybe I got the wrong song but Mr Bungle IS listed as one of Volta's influences so it's not THAT far off base like most of you seem to think.

View Post

Well I think that's the allmusicguide.com "influences" listing but I'm not so sure that's right. Who knows? It might be true, but I don't remember reading an article/scan of the band saying such a thing.

#26 elgerman

elgerman

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 235 posts
  • Joined 08-April 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:56 AM

This thread made me think of Gary Oldham in True Romance-"IS TODAY WHITEBOY DAY ?!?!?

#27 vinny b

vinny b

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 18-March 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:33 AM

ya i posted the same thing a few months back about the goodbye sober day similarity. i also think tmv take some influences from the dillinger escape plan, because some of the time signatures are very dep like. as in about minute 3:20 in cygus... vismund cygnus

#28 Sean McGeezer

Sean McGeezer

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Joined 23-October 04
  • Interests:Music and stuff.

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:29 AM

View Post

Well I think that's the allmusicguide.com "influences" listing but I'm not so sure that's right. Who knows? It might be true, but I don't remember reading an article/scan of the band saying such a thing.

View Post

So if they don't say it on the clock of some journalist it must not be true right?

And I'm not saying because they're similar you have to like one over the other, because every band has similarities with some band.

#29 Stalktheground11

Stalktheground11

The Bling Bling Voyager Version 3.2

• Members
  • 14170 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03
  • Interests:ROLLERBLADING

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:36 AM

Quite the opposite, really...

Do you think Santana is an influence?
I don't, but somehow every journalist on the planet writes about how TMV is some tripped out mixture of Santana-King Crimson-Black Flag. Just because some guy hears that doesn't mean that the band actually listens to or is influenced by them. The only stuff that I assume is true is whatever they've actually said, whether it's true or not. It's almost too easy to extrapolate what we think are influences and go on every guy's assumptions who thinks Santana or Mr. Bungle is an influence.

#30 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

View Post

View Post

So if they don't say it on the clock of some journalist it must not be true right?

And I'm not saying because they're similar you have to like one over the other, because every band has similarities with some band.

View Post

I might be wrong, but the only place I think I might have seen Mr. Bungle mentioned in relation to TMV is one of those misleading side-page sections in a few TMV magazine articles where the writer lists what bands he believes must have influenced the band, or what other bands the reader would like if they're a fan of the band in question.

But on the other hand...

Do you think Santana is an influence?

View Post

Of course he is. Assuming Santana is an influence is much more of a sure bet than Mr. Bungle. Latin sounds in a loud rock context? Harlow, Palmieri and other more traditional salsa artists might have been a huge part of that inspiration for Omar, but don't think for a second that Santana isn't part of it too. Call it lazy...but it's undeniable and inescapable. They're also heavily influenced by Led Zeppelin. But those two influences are so obvious and boring compared to some of the other stuff going on in their music that it isn't really necessary for the band to dwell upon them or even mention them in any interview.

#31 manupod13

manupod13

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4897 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
  • Myspace

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:54 PM

pretty damn sure you would find some Santana records if you were to look through Omar's collection. how fun would that be? to look through C+O's music collections would be a real treat. i wonder what guilty pleasures you would find?

#32 VoltaExperiment

VoltaExperiment

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 03-November 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

When I first started listening to the Mars Volta, the only thing I could really compare them to was Mr. Bungle...which is a comparison that I'm sure a lot of us Mr. Bungle listeners have made.

#33 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:01 PM

When I first started listening to the Mars Volta, the only thing I could really compare them to was Mr. Bungle...which is a comparison that I'm sure a lot of us Mr. Bungle listeners have made.

View Post

Nothing wrong with that. But in terms of influences, you could probably trace the similarities a bit further back on Bungle's musical family tree. I'm talking about Zappa and Captain Beefheart...two artists that TMV have acknowledged as influences.

#34 zadiqof

zadiqof

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2286 posts
  • Joined 27-November 03
  • Interests:triad chords / arpeggios.<br />flat the fifth, flat the third, add the seventh, add the ninth, holy shit, then you freagin go to the harmonic minor triad, holy shit then up a half step to a diminished (flat 3 and 5) holy crap, holy crap, im in reverie!

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:09 PM

generally, there are alot of similarities, not necessarily in these two songs.

View Post

You mean like sound-wise? I might be missing something.

View Post

i agree with maze . my personal feeling is tmv is much better than bungle.

View Post

thats interesting but has nothing to do with those quotes

#35 sixteenvolt420

sixteenvolt420

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Joined 26-February 05

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

i still don't see the bungle and mars volta comparison. bungle is completely off the wall and alot of the time doesn't even make sense. the mars volta is just plain great, and as weird as it can get, it always makes sense, musically. t.m.v. > mr bungle

#36 newz

newz

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Joined 02-August 04

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Yea, are you people serious. I like the Mars Volta a lot but they are no where near as good as Bungle was. The people on this board probably think Zeppelin is the greatest band ever. AHAHAH What a joke that is. I guess most people think that solos and guitar riffs make good music. :ol_blankstare:

#37 Xero

Xero

Tremulant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1936 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:10 PM

Yea, are you people serious.  I like the Mars Volta a lot but they are no where near as good as Bungle was.  The people on this board probably think Zeppelin is the greatest band ever.  AHAHAH What a joke that is.  I guess most people think that solos and guitar riffs make good music.  :ol_blankstare:

View Post

newb

#38 Caligula The Whore

Caligula The Whore

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 05-February 05

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

Bungle is weird and sometimes avant-garde. Some people don't think they make sense because they like their music to be simple. Bungle's Trey Spruance (Secret Chiefs 3) composition of songs can't be touched. Fucking crazy.

Captain Beefheart is the shit, too.

#39 Erubey

Erubey

Aniki

• Members
  • 5801 posts
  • Joined 01-February 05
  • Interests:Speaking Japanese, French, Spanish, and English fluently one day. <br /><br />Manual labor<br /><br />Photography<br /><br />Hitchhiking <br /><br />Graffiti/Stencil<br /><br />Panda Express<br /><br />Post rock and sludge music<br /><br />Zapatistas <br /><br />Flute/Guitar<br /><br />Eccentric people. You know who you are

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:26 PM

The one thing I hear A LOT in TMV is Fela

But they've said that many times.

As for santana, I'm not to sure. Maybe just a big coincedence?

#40 Cybrid

Cybrid

• Members
  • 6755 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:45 PM

As for santana, I'm not to sure. Maybe just a big coincedence?

View Post

I look at it this way...

There's no doubt that Omar was mostly inspired by the more traditional salsa and latin influences that he grew up with (like Larry Harlow). He's even gone on record to say that he originally wanted to play the piano. But once he decided to become a guitar player in a loud rock band, there's no way Santana wasn't some kind of an influence along the way. It's just that it's too obvious an influence to harp on about. As a reader of those articles, I'm actually glad they don't waste their time (and mine) talking about influences as obvious as Santana and Zeppelin (as great as they are). Like I said earlier, I would imagine Omar and Ced would leave the lazy Santana and Zeppelin references up to the journalists and critics...all the while taking the opportunity to highlight some of their more obscure and overlooked influences like Fela, Miles Davis, Mahavishnu, and Harlow. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of the "hipster mentality" at work as well. For some people, Santana and Zep are way too common to be associated with. :ol_rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users