IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Long interview with Juan Alderete

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5877 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 31 May 2014 - 08:48 PM

Juan was willing to chat for nearly an hour about Big Sir, Deltron 3030, Vato Negro, The Mars Volta, ZAVALAZ, and sandwiches.

http://www.riffnralk...-juan-alderete/

There are some juicy tidbits in there but I don't want to spoil them.

Who else would you like Riff n Ralk to interview?

#2 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:48 PM

His comments about The Mars Volta are definitely an interesting perspective about what happened.

#3 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 31 May 2014 - 09:50 PM

Digging into it now.

#4 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 31 May 2014 - 10:47 PM

Wow, there's this really weird laugh pasted into the left speaker from time to time. :wink:

#5 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • 6107 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:05 PM

Great interview man, enjoyed listening. 

#6 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

Yeah, this was a great interview! Great job! :smile:

The biggest band in the world...

#7 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5877 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:43 PM

Thanks. Yea my laugh is pretty damn distinct. I think I got those key questions folks wanted answered. Japanese mayo....crazy right?

That vato negro story was painful no?

And again not to be a whore, but if you havent liked us/followed us please do. It is how we will get the clout to do bigger interviews.

#8 TheShootingStar

TheShootingStar

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 294 posts
  • Joined 20-December 03

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:44 PM

Great interview!! Vato Negro opening for One Day As A Lion, Omar wasn't havin that! lol. Would of been cool to see JT & DP on the same show. I like the insight that Juan shares on how Omar thinks when he is writing music. I think its fair to say that Juan won't be playin bass in Antemasque anytime soon. Hopefully something will change later on down the line. I do find it hard to believe that he hasn't listen to any Antemasque tracks though. He has to be curious. I do love how he mentioned they all wanted The Mars Volta to be the biggest band out there. Because from a lot of interviews sometimes you get the feeling that they really don't care if they are big or not.

#9 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5877 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:46 PM

Great interview!! Vato Negro opening for One Day As A Lion, Omar wasn't havin that! lol. Would of been cool to see JT & DP on the same show. I like the insight that Juan shares on how Omar thinks when he is writing music. I think its fair to say that Juan won't be playin bass in Antemasque anytime soon. Hopefully something will change later on down the line. I do find it hard to believe that he hasn't listen to any Antemasque tracks though. He has to be curious. I do love how he mentioned they all wanted The Mars Volta to be the biggest band out there. Because from a lot of interviews sometimes you get the feeling that they really don't care if they are big or not.

Not to mention that material wasnt just Omar like he claimed before....go figure

#10 olympusmons

olympusmons

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Joined 25-April 06

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Very cool interview. Thanks for sharing. How did you get him to do it, and did you 2 agree to some parameters or Juan is just cool as fuck and just talked? The Volta stuff was very interesting, a seemingly more sad tone than when he talked to Dean Delray.

#11 patsyinclined

patsyinclined

#StillNoAnswers

• Members
  • 9070 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:56 AM

nice interview, always like what Juan has to say. he seems like a cool dude, gave your page a like

btw someone tweet this to Juan

#12 Pongo

Pongo

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1117 posts
  • Joined 09-September 04

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:34 AM

I think a better title for the interview is "Digruntled former Mars Volta bassist says he would rather listen to Kanye West than Antemasque."

#13 Bane Fubar

Bane Fubar

Twat.

• Members
  • 32781 posts
  • Joined 16-February 07

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:53 AM

I think a better title for the interview is "Digruntled former Mars Volta bassist says he would rather listen to Kanye West than Antemasque."

I haven't listened to the interview. Is that for real? He seems the most butthurt.

#14 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7675 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09

Posted 01 June 2014 - 10:20 AM

Nah, that's exaggarating.

#15 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for doing this and sharing it here.

Sometimes I don't know how to wrap my head around all this. Juan is clearly an honest, well-mannered human being and I can't say bad things about Omar; yet, the way he acted in this is bad and it must've left an undeserved sour feeling for Juan. Don't know, just thinking out loud here, I guess...

#16 BigMuff

BigMuff

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Joined 01-June 06

Posted 01 June 2014 - 12:51 PM

O.G.

#17 Seyon

Seyon

High Five! ヘ( ^o^)ノ\(^_^ )

• Members
  • 5026 posts
  • Joined 29-August 04
  • Interests:CrossFit, Video Games, Awesome fucking music
  • Facebook

Posted 01 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Don't have time to listen for an hour...can anyone give timestamps for when he talks about TMV/Antemasque related stuff?

#18 Santino88

Santino88

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 27-May 05
  • Twitter

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

About halfway through, I think.

#19 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5877 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 01 June 2014 - 05:37 PM

Sometimes I don't know how to wrap my head around all this. Juan is clearly an honest, well-mannered human being and I can't say bad things about Omar; yet, the way he acted in this is bad and it must've left an undeserved sour feeling for Juan. Don't know, just thinking out loud here, I guess...

Seems silly that you "can't say bad things about Omar" as clearly it seems there is good reason for some of those guys to be mad at him.  I think he mentions it, but he is careful about what he says on the subject which usually indicates someone is upset about the subject.  That was the vibe I got anyway; that he just wanted to make sure he didn't start bashing Omar.  

Very cool interview. Thanks for sharing. How did you get him to do it, and did you 2 agree to some parameters or Juan is just cool as fuck and just talked? The Volta stuff was very interesting, a seemingly more sad tone than when he talked to Dean Delray.

His press contact is on his facebook page (and I think its just his wife's e-mail.) and so I just shot one over explaining who we are and what we wanted to do and it quickly built up from there.  Honestly all I said was which bands I wanted to discuss.  His ability to just disclose the way he did was all him, as you can tell he didn't need much prompting to share stories.  I steered things a bit, but honestly it was 95% his responses that I feel made the interview go so well.

Don't have time to listen for an hour...can anyone give timestamps for when he talks about TMV/Antemasque related stuff?

Not to be full of myself, but its worth the full hour, just pause to take breaks.  The first half is mostly Big Sir related, but there are some fun stories and he does do some honest disclosure about the recording and touring process which I think is pretty interesting.

Otherwise, the Vato Negro and Volta stuff is in the second half.  ANTEMASQUE takes maybe 2 minutes to cover as there really is nothing to discuss. 

#20 TL_

TL_

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2514 posts
  • Joined 11-October 10

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:06 PM

Maybe it's not necessarily all Omar's fault. Maybe Omar provided someone with a very good situation and that person started taking advantage of and ruined the situation. Maybe The Mars Volta truly was on a short hiatus but someone's actions caused it to now be dead for a lot longer, if not forever. Just thinking out loud here...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users