IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

animal collectivejoin me...joiiiin me..

• Please log in to reply
2622 replies to this topic

#1 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 13 March 2004 - 01:24 AM

are there any other fans of this band here?

of course, i don't want any sassback from people who've mentioned them before me. i've listened to them for a while and due to my cyclic music listening nature, i'm feeling them again.

spirit they're gone spirit they've vanished and campfire songs are great. pretty much everything i've heard is. kind of hard for the mainstream audience to get into, but we're open here.

feedback.

#2 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03
  • Interests:Guitar, reading, music, movies, all the normal stuff.

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:16 AM

Yes, Here Comes the Indian was one of my favorite records last year. I actually enjoyed the out of sequence version on soulseek better than the properly ordered tracks, it seemed to flow better for whatever reason.
I really like how they are weird and quirky, but not really in a forced sort of way. And I do enjoy their interpretation of african music, which you tend not to hear in indie bands so much. It's very upbeat but not in a syrupy poppy way.
I need to listen to their other stuff, as well as all the side projects. I thought there was something just released which featured some of the members, I thought it was Stars Like Fleas, but I looked up the info and didn't find any mentioned of Animal Collective.
Also, they have a new LP out this year, called Sung Tongs, or something like that.

#3 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 13 March 2004 - 02:41 AM

i think they have side projects all over the place..somewhere.

and i'm much looking forward to sung tongs. i also need to find a place to buy these cds around here. i'm ashamed for not owning them.

#4 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:48 AM

seriously guys, humor me. they're unlike anything i've ever heard. the more i download, the more i become criminally infatuated with the sounds. it feels like it should be illegal.

#5 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 02:47 AM

It does seem to divide a lot of people though. I guess that's understandable, but again, it's something I really like because the weirdness feels natural in context to the music.

#6 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:07 AM

i absolutely can't get this feeling from any other band. at all. ever. it's impossible. not to say they're my favorite band; it's just so unique. someone will join us someday, piesore.

#7 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:31 PM

Yeah, again, you should check out the reordered track list on soulseek if you haven't already. Having the 12 minute song bumped up to the opening number makes it feel like a grand intro, instead of sort of the intermission it really is on the actual album.
I've tried to keep away from listening to it for a while because I wanted to actually buy the album before wearing it out, but it's soooo good.
It's unique because a lot of "trippy" music feels like the artists dropped a load of drugs but are still working within the normal confines of songs, but this really feels like mind altering substances condensed into audio form. It's really the difference between a band singing about sci fi and fantasy stuff, which actually conveys instead images of nerds sitting around playind DnD, and actually being strapped to the rocket yourself and being blasted into space. In their abstractness, they're able to convey a lot more vivid imagery than most bands I've heard.

#8 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

^^^^^^^

listen to this guy

#9 volta mark

volta mark

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2260 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03
  • Interests:music. writing. films. <br><br>i also play a little hockey...

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:21 PM

^^^^^^^

listen to this guy

Perhaps i'll try listening to animal collective too. I now have high expecations, dont' let me down.

#10 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:30 PM

Eh, again, a lot of people don't like it, it's pretty "out there", but I think there's something unique about the weirdness.

#11 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 14 March 2004 - 11:57 PM

^^^^^^^

listen to this guy

Perhaps i'll try listening to animal collective too. I now have high expecations, dont' let me down.

you'll like them if you look at this...

#12 volta mark

volta mark

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2260 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:21 AM

ooh la la, what a beautiful image

Im at home (not home..?) so all i have is kazaa, WHAT A SHOCK.. I COULDNT FIND ANY.

I'll look when I get back to college and use my roomate for his computer

#13 TheLuminousPhish

TheLuminousPhish

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5905 posts
  • Joined 27-October 03
  • Interests:book club and tea club
  • Facebook

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:26 AM

From the song I got off of Epitonic, they don't seem to bad. However, I'm going to need more to make an educated judgement.

#14 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 17 March 2004 - 05:47 AM

I just heard the first track off their next album a few times, and at this point, it sounds a lot more "normal", the production and effects are much cleaner. At this point, it's a bit dissapointing, because it's now it basically sounds like african music filtered through indie rock, but maybe it will grow on me. And I need to hear the rest of the album. It's just that Here Comes the Indian was immediately engaging for me, so I was expecting the same reaction.

edit: Also, does anyone actually own the album? I'm confused as to what's the correct track order. The allmusic.com review uses the 12 minute track lead off as the first song, while the track listing below is different, and tinymixtapes.com uses that tracklisting. I guess it doesn't matter that much since I'm going to try and pick it up at some point, but it would be nice to know beforehand.

#15 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:56 PM

i have no idea. i'm going to order it eventually. they don't sell great music around here as much.

also, leaf house has grown on me...i have most of the rest of sung tongs. it's more...clearcut, i guess..but i still am able to enjoy it.

#16 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:54 PM

so who has joined me?

#17 piesore

piesore

Ilyena

• Members
  • 3078 posts
  • Joined 07-October 03

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:09 AM

I've listened to Leaf House a bunch more times, and I enjoy it now, though I would still prefer the messy warmness of their previous efforts. I'd listen to the whole thing, but I'm out of space on my comp. I did get to heard Spirit they've gone, and it's pretty cool. It's interesting to see the progression from that record to Here Comes the Indian. They have all the psychadelic elements in place on Spirit, but also more traditional singing and song structures.

#18 volta mark

volta mark

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2260 posts
  • Joined 30-June 03

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:36 AM

I havent' found any on soulseek yet.
Its on my wishlist, so its a matter of time.

#19 fencefacade

fencefacade

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2109 posts
  • Joined 07-January 04
  • Interests:thinking, making others think, getting chased by others, making up games and naming them after great literary works, sitting down, destroying while creating something new, sink, ice cream, frozen yogurt, mathematics, psychological exploitations, ask me

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:45 AM

i am about to search for it, they sound cool

#20 Limits are Lies

Limits are Lies

buzz saw sex organism

• Members
  • 32098 posts
  • Joined 29-June 03

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:46 AM

you've all made me so proud.

0 user(s) are reading this topic