IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Threats of violenceA question.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4993 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

I messaged you and Indrossi asking to formally report him based on the comments you both made. There were other people that reported him besides indrossi. If I weren't a mod I would have reported that post as well.

I had no interest in reporting him per se, but I was absolutely interested in engaging a discussion around community standards. If that leads to a ban, so be it.

#22 Bedlampuhedron

Bedlampuhedron

Tetragrammaton Cleric

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3753 posts
  • Joined 17-May 11
  • Interests:wind turbines gave me diabetes

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

i don't think we've seen the last of fubar, even though he's banned.

i think a lot of people here are friends with Fubar on social media. 

#23 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9880 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

@indrossi, alright fair enough my man, if you're a fighter then i take back those half hearted accusations. Thanks for your overall reply also.

Fubes is bannes then. I still think the political discussions on this board should just be closed or better moderated. It should be a matter of quality control, not censorship. But seeing that political debate is not the main goal of this forum, i can understand that the mods don't feel like policing political discussions all the time.

But w/e it's getting old for me to be the sole defender of fubes' right to be an asshole. It puts me also in an uncannily close vicinity to the argument that nazis deserve a voice too, which is obvs not what i think at all. I just think that nazis can exist not by the grace of common people saying yes or no to them, but by the grace of the socio-political context allowing it. That's why i think people are wasting their time being angry at nazis, they should be angry at the system that allows nazis a voice. Similarly, people are wasting their time being angry at trump. There is a legal political system in place that allows an enormous piece of shit to lead the people. Trump is the face of a failing country that should reconsider its laws and voting system, nothing more

#24 Alderetism

Alderetism

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 7505 posts
  • Joined 04-September 09
  • Interests:Peace, love and bass.

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hear, hear.

#25 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Members
  • 4969 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:27 PM

Well, I for one will miss Fubes. I understand why he was banned, don't get me wrong. But Fubes has been a long time member of this community, like Armando, and it's kind of a shame we can't just agree to disagree, RESPECTFULLY.

Unfortunately and ironically, fortunately Nazis have a right to speak. By allowing them their voice we assure that everyone has their voice. That's the way it is. Fubes has a right to his political beliefs as repugnant to me as they sometimes seem. He has a right to voice those beliefs. He does not have the right to threaten violence. That's one of the reasons I disagree vehemently with antifa's tactics. Using violence to shut down others who are lawfully gathered is wrong. Protest all you want, but as soon as you get violent you negate all the good you are attempting to portray.

For the record I almost never report people's posts. All the years I've been here, I think I've reported one person. But that's just me. Some people might get offended and it's their right to report what bothers them. I understand. This is a community.

#26 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5561 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:18 PM

@indrossi, alright fair enough my man, if you're a fighter then i take back those half hearted accusations. Thanks for your overall reply also.

Fubes is bannes then. I still think the political discussions on this board should just be closed or better moderated. It should be a matter of quality control, not censorship. But seeing that political debate is not the main goal of this forum, i can understand that the mods don't feel like policing political discussions all the time.

CtC has managed to function well with minimal moderation and that is the intended role of CtC, to be moderated minimally.  Threads were only locked or changed when posts became increasingly offensive or out of line.  Case in point was Fubar's anti-Islam thread which went beyond rational debate and into hate filled slander.   On the flip side, as much as I disagree with Yavi's posts in the feminism thread he tends to keep a respectful enough tone so the thread can exist despite it being heated. CtC is intended to be heated and be an intense exchange of ideas.  

Bear in mind this is not Fubar's first time towing this line.  While threatening to choke Indrossi out is new, he had threatened to mail things to people's work before.  He has been encouraged multiple times to mind his tone and he chose to not moderate himself.  Armando had the same issue a few months back.

#27 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11353 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

CtC has managed to function well with minimal moderation and that is the intended role of CtC, to be moderated minimally. Threads were only locked or changed when posts became increasingly offensive or out of line. Case in point was Fubar's anti-Islam thread which went beyond rational debate and into hate filled slander. On the flip side, as much as I disagree with Yavi's posts in the feminism thread he tends to keep a respectful enough tone so the thread can exist despite it being heated. CtC is intended to be heated and be an intense exchange of ideas.

Bear in mind this is not Fubar's first time towing this line. While threatening to choke Indrossi out is new, he had threatened to mail things to people's work before. He has been encouraged multiple times to mind his tone and he chose to not moderate himself. Armando had the same issue a few months back.

This is absolutely it. A few of you are referring to Fubes and (virtually) the rest of the board having a political disagreement, but it was way beyond that. This wasn't educated, informed debate. It was false facts, hate-fueled ranting and just plain simple bigotry. Any attempt at a rational, progressive debate with him was aggressively stamped out by the sheer force of his ignorance, and reinforced by the ludicrous rhetoric he sadly believed in. All those sarcastic put-downs and little jabs you saw us doing, that was because we had tried and tried and tried to engage with him rationally and he just flat out refused to discuss anything related to politics reasonably. So we'd all got a bit tired of trying and started to bait him. I'm not saying that's right or OK, I'm just saying that's how it was.

Most of the people who have said they don't agree with him being banned rarely or never go into CTC. That figures, because Fubes' worst and most finely-sharpened nastiness came out there. In Neotokyo he was still pretty much the same guy.

Like you say, Yavi is a good example of someone who a lot of us disagree with, but is at least capable of actually having a proper discussion. I think some of his political beliefs stink, but I also know he respects me and my right to disagree with him. He will listen, and he will actually take on board what you have to say. And that's fair enough. He doesn't forfeit his right to be here. Fubar was way beyond all that.

At the end of the day, when you're talking all of the hateful, bigoted and downright violent shit like Fubar was doing, you better be prepared to apologise profusely or get banned. He never even began to show any regret for what he was doing. There's only one end game there.

This all really sucks because he was a huge part of this community, and was pretty cool before all this hard right Trump bullshit fucked his head up. He and I shared some great moments on and off the board, and I'm pretty depressed that it's worked out like this. But there was no other option.

#28 issordni

issordni

Goliath

• Members
  • 4993 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Cats and foxes.

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

I also know [Yavi] respects me

damski is an unskilled office working twat

lol

#29 scorpio

scorpio

Goliath

• Members
  • 4969 posts
  • Joined 13-June 05

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

Yavi is always just joking tho. Even if there is a grain of truth therein, he really doesn't mean it in a mean spirited way. Like holly could say outrageous things and we laugh. But I could never get away with it. Or Marija. I don't know. Maybe I play favorites.

#30 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11353 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

I also know [Yavi] respects me

damski is an unskilled office working twat

lol

He jus' playin' tho.

#31 Yavimaya

Yavimaya

I got custom skanx

• Members
  • 18616 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

i agree with everything Carl said.

so, now that fubar and armando are banned...... when are all these people coming back?
you know... the people that we were told were so turned off posting here?

#32 Yavimaya

Yavimaya

I got custom skanx

• Members
  • 18616 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

Yavi is always just joking tho. Even if there is a grain of truth therein, he really doesn't mean it in a mean spirited way. Like holly could say outrageous things and we laugh. But I could never get away with it. Or Marija. I don't know. Maybe I play favorites.

you could say whatever you want and it would be gold scorpio.

#33 MSpatalatanj

MSpatalatanj

Streben nach dem Unendlichen

• Members
  • 8493 posts
  • Joined 09-March 09

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

Scorpio, you are absolutely right. Dudes you have to understand that Yavi is teasing us 89% of the time, that's his way of showing love. :D

#34 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12994 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

Censoring people like Fubes is only gonna radicalize them even further. But ok.

Censoring him will play into the victim narrative that he has creative for himself here but lets be real....

Fubes is not the victim here.

Fubes is literally the only person on the internet I've ever thought might show up at my door in the middle of the night as a consequence of my own free speech.

#35 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12994 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Sigh. Keeping in mind that this is a text based medium and that you and fubes, who live in different continents, have nothing but texts to hackle each other with:

see above.

#36 Cochese

Cochese

Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Members
  • 12994 posts
  • Joined 10-July 03

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

If Fubes doesn't want me accusing him of being a racist or a white nationalist, he should stop behaving like a racist white nationalist.

tenor.gif

#37 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • 4504 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

Sorta defeats the purpose of banning the guy if you just keep on talking about him. (cough poster above me cough)

#38 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

martin luther you're an angel

• Fairy
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

#39 Yavimaya

Yavimaya

I got custom skanx

• Members
  • 18616 posts
  • Joined 13-April 11

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:45 AM

Censoring him will play into the victim narrative that he has creative for himself here but lets be real....

Fubes is literally the only person on the internet I've ever thought might show up at my door in the middle of the night as a consequence of my own free speech.

i think you are a bit delusional.
fubar would NEVER hurt any of us if we met IRL, even if we had some massive argument on here the day before.

fubar has never tried to play a victim, i dont know where you get that from.

#40 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 5561 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:29 AM

i think you are a bit delusional.
fubar would NEVER hurt any of us if we met IRL, even if we had some massive argument on here the day before.

fubar has never tried to play a victim, i dont know where you get that from.

I'm sorry, all Fubar has done here is play victim.  He acts like a huge ass-hole then when he gets called out or someone responds accordingly he plays innocent like he's being bullied.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users