IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

How did you first learn about The Mars Volta?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 liebezeit

liebezeit

Televator

• Coma Donor
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 03-July 17

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:20 AM

During 2004 I was overwhelmed by Fruciante's Record Collection series. Back than there was a mesaage board called Frusciante.net (if I'm not mistaken). Some of the members were hyped by the new band called Mars Volta, adn their record on which Flea and Fru played. Well, as a 15year old fanboy of RHCP I had to check it out. Few months later Frances was released, and rest is history.
Btw there was a competition on Fru.net. we had to find all the parts of Frances album cover (? I think) and tell in which topics are they hidden, to win a copy.

Fun days

Anyone still active from those days?

Hey I remember your name. I used to visit frusciante.net a lot during my initial JF phase which must have been around 2005. I got most of my knowledge about his work from the site. But I didn't sign up until shortly before it was hacked in 07/08(?). Which brings me to how I discovered TMV: The only "current" music I liked back then was JF's solo work, particularly the Ataxia album. Besides that I almost exclusively listened to classic rock (Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Who, Velvet Underground) and some Post-Punk (Joy Division, PIL, Fugazi). I was frustrated that I could not find any modern bands which I felt were as good as the old shit (except JF of course). A band that could take the visceral energy and musicianship of say Led Zeppelin and update it with modern (electronic) sounds without sounding like one of those shitty landfill indie bands which I hated. That was around the time Radiohead released "In Rainbows". I remember trying to get into it, but ultimately found it just too "cute". Next up on the list to check out was the mighty Volta, whose name was of course known by every involved Frusciante fan. I still don't know why I haven't checked them out earlier. On a day in November '07 a friend hooked me up with a nice 320kbit/s version of De-Loused. And it was the fucking bomb. Seriously. It was not only exactly what I've been looking for, it was that plus a million other things I didn't even know I was looking for... executed in such a mindblowingly tasteful manner that was just absolutely overwhelming. The tremor of hearing Drunkship, Eriatarka and Cicatriz for the first time still echoes through my spine. I listened to the whole album multiple times a day for at least a month and it seemed to get better with every listen. It was heaven. I wanted to roll around in it like a dog. Oh, and just a few days later the euro tour dates were announced. The concert was a similar experience. BEST BAND EVER.

#42 Andrewf

Andrewf

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3298 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

I also remember that i used to think that omar was both the guitarist and vocalist of mars volta

#43 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2699 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 16 July 2017 - 03:17 AM

Lol what

#44 Jehu

Jehu

I like to drive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6101 posts
  • Joined 03-November 08
  • Interests:Mostly driving
  • Twitter

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

He said "I also remember that i used to think that omar was both the guitarist and vocalist of mars volta". 

#45 Carl

Carl

the broccoli foundation

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9565 posts
  • Joined 13-May 09

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:55 PM

maybe if he wouldn't have laughed out loud he could have heard him the first time

#46 hbk111

hbk111

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2699 posts
  • Joined 11-October 07

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:11 PM

He said "I also remember that i used to think that omar was both the guitarist and vocalist of mars volta".

Yeah...lol what

#47 NOCTOURNICUNT

NOCTOURNICUNT

martin luther you're an angel

• Fairy
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Joined 23-April 17

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

my brother introduced me to the 2 popular ATDI songs, then years later i heard L'Via (radio edit) on triple J, i loved it, but didnt think i paid too much attention.

a few years after that i was looking for bat shit crazy music, something that seemed impossibly insane and off putting, i then went through some songs i had on my HDD - having DL'd some TMV and stored without realising it was THAT band earlier on, having not liked it -  and i found L'Via..... from then on i knew that i had to buy the rest of the albums, so i went and bought them all, then proceeded to find out how great they are.

i needed that music to get me through my hardest / busiest time at work and it worked perfectly. got me through doing 2 peoples fulltime work for 6 weeks till my staff come back. :smile:

thank you O +C.

Holy shit! Yavi posted in here. I didn't even know if he liked music, good stuff.  :thumbu:

#48 sshambles

sshambles

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1220 posts
  • Joined 17-February 05

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

Followed ATD-I and knew well in advance that this was happening before the mainstream finally caught on. Took me a long time to finally realise that Concertina wasn't the demo version of Cicatrix ESP. Always buy the bands actual products!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users