IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
7510 replies to this topic

#7281 fora_de_coma

fora_de_coma

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:49 PM

Does anyone here own the Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie 4xLP box set? Like Los Suenos it came out years after the original release date. And has a retrospective booklet of photographs and extensive notes on every single song, written by Billy Corgan. It's hilarious and tragic in how absolutely petty it is. Every song's notes is a diss from Corgan to his other bandmates for how little they were contributing, how he had to push them, pick D'Arcy up off the floor, drag them to the studio, how unenthusiastic and uncreative they all were except him of course. Sure thing, dude.

well, not surprised. There are things that never change. Anyway, he talks a lot about those things in endless interviews. For me is just annoying, that these guys after years and years don't change they "us against the world kind of shit" and the need they have to put themselves in a pedestal. It's like, dude, you don't need validation through your art. Said that I understand them, were years and years nonstop putting everything in their art, at some point your personal life is gonna suffer. But well, at least you can see some honesty, even if there is badblood involved. And the band themselves have their narrative and fans have another and that's ok in the end.

#7282 Tommo Chocolate

Tommo Chocolate

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 27-April 08

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:57 PM

That’s good, then maybe it’s just a mistake. Or it’s a “correction” and Theodore recorded some uncredited drums that actually ended up on Bedlam somewhere.

I feel like im being gaslit by Omar. Genuinely don't trust the credits on any release since 2002. Did he really play the tea kettle on Calibration?

I'm just relieved that he specified "tea kettle". If he'd just said "kettle" I'd have spent the last 13 years wondering what kind of kettle it was...

#7283 Mataxia

Mataxia

Unhydriate

• Party Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7026 posts
  • Joined 27-April 05
  • Twitter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:34 PM

Wow, there are so many conclusions being jumped to in this thread. We don’t know shit about what happened behind the scenes or why the credits are different.

#7284 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:42 PM

Wow, there are so many conclusions being jumped to in this thread. We don’t know shit about what happened behind the scenes or why the credits are different.

I'm as emotionally invested in this whole thing as the next guy, but this is a point that needs to be made. 

It would bum me out if any of these negative conclusions being drawn are true but my gut tells me that at least Omar has made peace with a lot of the things we're worried about. These guys aren't the most public figures - it's not likely that Cedric or Omar would be talking publicly about making amends until long after - I'm thinking ATDI era similarities excluding the Jim stuff. 

Ultimately, I'm betting a lot of the weird inconsistencies and "missing" things are due to legalities. That shit happens when you involve any amount of musicians, and especially talented ones who continue to build their bodies of work. Yes O/C bullshit a lot, but this music is clearly important to them.

#7285 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:43 PM

Does anyone here own the Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie 4xLP box set? Like Los Suenos it came out years after the original release date. And has a retrospective booklet of photographs and extensive notes on every single song, written by Billy Corgan. It's hilarious and tragic in how absolutely petty it is. Every song's notes is a diss from Corgan to his other bandmates for how little they were contributing, how he had to push them, pick D'Arcy up off the floor, drag them to the studio, how unenthusiastic and uncreative they all were except him of course. Sure thing, dude.

This comparison is spot on.

The booklet has similar comments by both of them. Not about being creative, but about work ethic and other things.

Look, the box is beautiful, the records sound great... and they gave us some of the best live shows and music in years, imo. But there’s nothing new here in terms of their attitude. It just looks worse on them as we get older. My only gripe with the box is that I wish they kept the drama away from such a cool item. But at this point, it’s not a deal breaker. We all know that’s what we are getting into. Like the Smashing Pumpkins. You don’t have TMV without drama.. or anything Omar and Cedric related. It’s always been that way.

#7286 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:45 PM

This is true. However, there are some comments on the book that are a bit weird. But it is what it is.

#7287 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6776 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

Is there some kind of embargo or goliath curse on the book that's stopping people from posting photographs or transcribing it?

#7288 fora_de_coma

fora_de_coma

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 14-April 14

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

This comparison is spot on.

The booklet has similar comments by both of them. Not about being creative, but about work ethic and other things.

Look, the box is beautiful, the records sound great... and they gave us some of the best live shows and music in years, imo. But there’s nothing new here in terms of their attitude. It just looks worse on them as we get older. My only gripe with the box is that I wish they kept the drama away from such a cool item. But at this point, it’s not a deal breaker. We all know that’s what we are getting into. Like the Smashing Pumpkins. You don’t have TMV without drama.. or anything Omar and Cedric related. It’s always been that way.

Exactly. On the other day I was thinking about Frances era, and I remember at that time Omar saying he was trying to make music sounding like out of control. And in fact he takes that extremely until Bedlam era. In the middle they fired the best Volta drummer and ended up hiring Thomas, which was a beast out of control by nature. And he bring that up also in musically speaking. And this drummer ended up being also fired.

Which is cool and passionate about this band is the fact that you can always find a connection between reality or wtv you want to call it (in the end we are always spectators) and music itself. And even if Omar says that is the writer, the mastermind, you can feel that there is always something that goes out of his control and TMV music always follow this tension between the relationships, the effort the releases demand. These reissues are talked about being made for years. Remember Cedric interview when he said Omar was working with Sargent House, Nadie Sound, all those attemps, etc. I find it cool that after all these years they still try to do their things on their own, they still have some kind of DIY roots.

#7289 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2688 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 08 April 2021 - 02:30 PM

I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck about the credits or if Omar is dissing someone blah blah, just give me the music. 

#7290 Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man

POWDERED.TOAST.MAN

• Members
  • 11727 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
  • Twitter

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:33 PM

If Gravity Lulls, I Can Hear Cedric And Omar Bitching About Juan

#7291 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 03:55 PM

I mean you’d think given the band essentially ended 9 years ago that they’d have patched that shit up by now.....at least you’d hope. Know it’s bad with pridgen and we don’t know if it’s gotten better with Juan. Remainder of them imagine they’re all on good terms? In any event, it is what it is.

i don't know how things are with Thomas Pridgen these days, but i do want to point out that Pridgen played a show with Leo Genovese (and two other musicians, a guitarist and a bassist) in February 2020. and for anyone who wants the audio from that show, just DM me.

personally, i want to believe that there's no beef with Juan, which to me is mainly supported by Cedric promoting Juan's GoFundMe. i guess there could be an outstanding beef, but i don't see any reason to buy into that.

#7292 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:12 PM

Who knows. Hopefully!

Thomas was also the touring drummer for Residente, the frontman of Calle 13. Omar played on all tracks of Residente's solo album and in another track for Calle 13 about 10 years ago.

#7293 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:18 PM

I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck about the credits or if Omar is dissing someone blah blah, just give me the music. 

I hope you didn‘t buy the boxset, because that‘s by far the most inconvenient way to access „the music“.

I really, really hope there‘s some rational explanation for the name change, but unfortunately the worst scenario is the most likely one.

IF it is a mistake, this kind of sloppiness is unacceptable for such a long awaited and expensive product that is trying to distinguish itself from previous bootleg pressings through „love of detail“ and „being true to the art“.

Differences from the original credits must be considered to have been made deliberately.

IF it is for royalty/contractual reasons... what exactly are the reasons? Juan has been going by that name professionally for 20 years.

IF it was a personal request from Juan, why has he been using that version for the past 20 years and is on record saying he regrets having used the anglicised version before? That in and of itself implies that being credited „John“ is unpleasant for him.

So somebody has made a decision that is unpleasant for Juan for elusive reasons.

That somebody is likely the same person who has spoken about him negatively in the past and has edited him out from records.

I‘m more than willing to participate in mental gymnastics to unsee it, but it‘s getting hard at this point.

Edit:

My biggest hope: Juan told Omar after being salty about BR that he‘ll sue him if Omar ever puts out anything that has him on and that‘s how Omar‘s sociopath comment came to be while the rest was him staying true to Juan‘s wish...

#7294 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

Is there some kind of embargo or goliath curse on the book that's stopping people from posting photographs or transcribing it?

It doesn't feel right for now. Don't want to ruin the surprise for those that ordered the box. The pictures are rad and it has awesome info in it. Don't get me wrong, the book is cool and it's a fun read. But at this point,  I'm okay if  I don't have to read any more about their issues with Jim Ward, or who wasn't into rehearsing as much, etc. They achieved a lot of things the majority of the bands only dream of, and also took a lot of crazy risks while being on a big label. Things I don't believe any band can do right now on a label like Universal for example. I would love to know more about that, than the inner band shit.

#7295 logos

logos

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3276 posts
  • Joined 11-December 04

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:44 PM

John didn’t become Juan until they embraced the whole Latin image.

#7296 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:56 PM

perhaps "Juan" seems to have publicly emerged out of the Mars Volta. on the other hand, who are we to know who called him Juan or John up until that point, and for how long? he told Dean Delray that he'd been called Juan by Latinos for a while.

#7297 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:57 PM

I’ll take the assuming positive intent POV - as long as the band members that played on the records are being compensated for what they did and they feel good about it, that’s what matters. We don’t know how the band members were compensated, if they were paid a flat rate, or if they get paid residuals or whatever but have to assume they or their representatives have to approve material being released with them on it. So have to assume that Juan signed off on this and likewise with other members and that it is how it is for whatever business reason. Like I said, if they can’t get along as people, you would hope that at least all members are paid for their work. That’s my hope.

I’ll embrace positivity and wait to enjoy the box. Don’t get me wrong, I’d enjoy a landscape tantrums rip early......am though thoroughly enjoying ikey playing organ and keys and synth and piano on this jack white vault 47 release that just came in. Man - that guy just wailed with some SOUL

#7298 Jevon

Jevon

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined 20-March 07
  • Interests:surviving & not dying.
  • Facebook

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:04 PM

Pridgen posted a comment on Juans insta in December. Had no idea they were still cool.

#7299 hui43210

hui43210

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2688 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:13 PM

I hope you didn‘t buy the boxset, because that‘s by far the most inconvenient way to access „the music“.

I did not, I paid $10 for LT on Itunes. Just saying things are going extreme knitting circle here.

After all this time, if you haven't figured out Omar is an egotistical weirdo, I don't know what to say.

#7300 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:23 PM

IF it was a personal request from Juan, why has he been using that version for the past 20 years and is on record saying he regrets having used the anglicised version before? That in and of itself implies that being credited „John“ is unpleasant for him.

this is just speculation, same as any of us are doing. i'm not saying this is the truth, but while we're passing around stories, why not try exploring one that casts a different light on the situation? it could be as simple as wanting to show love to his parents by using the exact name they gave him and called him, and the whole reason behind that could be that he almost went out for a bike ride and never saw them again. that, to me, is like how Omar made it so that we know him as Rodriguez-Lopez, even though Rodriguez alone would pass outside of Latin America - in the United States, you do have to go out of your way like that if you wanna use use a Spanish-style surname. 

8 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1), Palo Alto, Comraade, chris_b, yoyoyotony, goliathsoctahedron