IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

The Mars Volta will play again2015

• Please log in to reply
7421 replies to this topic

#7301 roobster

roobster

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Joined 30-July 03

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

Juan suffered a traumatic brain injury. It's possible that for the time being, his wife is his legal guardian and may have been advised to use his birth name until he can handle that type of business himself.

#7302 Kenticus69

Kenticus69

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3065 posts
  • Joined 21-June 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:57 PM

Juan suffered a traumatic brain injury. It's possible that for the time being, his wife is his legal guardian and may have been advised to use his birth name until he can handle that type of business himself.

Not the craziest idea ever. Let’s not all assume the worst here. Just enjoy the tunes for a minute and breathe friends.

#7303 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5178 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:59 PM

Yo anyone ripped this shit yet?

#7304 absalomman

absalomman

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Joined 22-May 17

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:14 PM

Yo anyone ripped this shit yet?

G shit bro... Some dude went to best buy for this and you got it hand delivered to your doorstep

#7305 APJ90

APJ90

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts
  • Joined 15-August 10

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

Surely the time for drama would be if we hear anything from Juan/Juan's camp suggesting (or outright stating) that he's unhappy with his credits? We know nothing at the moment. At all. The reaction on the past few pages has been as though he simply hasn't been credited, which isn't the case.

There could be any number of valid reasons as to why his name appears like that in the credits. It could be a dry legal thing. It could be because of the accident he suffered, and he's been advised to stick to a single name to simplify things and avoid confusion (he's had to re-learn a bunch of stuff during his recovery from a point of being almost unresponsive, and all kinds of things will have proven extremely difficult for him). It could be due to a personality change brought about by the brain-damage he suffered, and he's decided to re-adopt his birth name as a preferred choice.

My father suffered a serious brain injury a couple of years back, and whilst he has come out of it unbelievably well, some aspects of his personality/behaviour have changed dramatically. He has asked friends of his to call him by a modified version of his first name, he has seemingly decided to reject a part of his cultural heritage that he previously didn't seem to mind etc. This stuff can and does happen. Maybe it's happened here. Maybe not, and the credits are an act of pure pettiness. We don't know (yet). Why the immediate drama?

#7306 ballsmcgrath

ballsmcgrath

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts
  • Joined 17-October 10

Posted 08 April 2021 - 08:22 PM

I'd love to purchase digitally. In the meantime, someone send me a rip.

#7307 SUB

SUB

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1308 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone here own the Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie 4xLP box set? Like Los Suenos it came out years after the original release date. And has a retrospective booklet of photographs and extensive notes on every single song, written by Billy Corgan. It's hilarious and tragic in how absolutely petty it is. Every song's notes is a diss from Corgan to his other bandmates for how little they were contributing, how he had to push them, pick D'Arcy up off the floor, drag them to the studio, how unenthusiastic and uncreative they all were except him of course. Sure thing, dude.

I have  this box set.  I don't remember all of that to be honest, but remember finding the booklet interesting. I'll have to give it another look.

It's not a huge surprise that Billy has a big ego. He's chilled out the last 5 years or so. I'm sure his ego is still huge but he at least isn't so openly pretentious as he used to be.

Surely the time for drama would be if we hear anything from Juan/Juan's camp suggesting (or outright stating) that he's unhappy with his credits? We know nothing at the moment. At all. The reaction on the past few pages has been as though he simply hasn't been credited, which isn't the case.

After reading the past few pages, you'd think that Omar is shitting all over Juan.  I don't see it.  We don't know anything about why his name is different.  Further, to bitch about his name being placed last in the credits? Who the hell cares.  It could have no meaning at all.  It seems pointless to wildly speculate over something so trivial.

#7308 vacuumo

vacuumo

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Joined 23-February 05

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:43 PM

bottom of the list... low frequencies... maybe it's a metaphor for how foundational Juan's bass playing is in the music.

#7309 xpgno

xpgno

Goliath

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4838 posts
  • Joined 08-April 10

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:45 AM

FWIW, Juan's wiki also lists the John Peter name. It might be a sign that he's minding his business and having his musical contributions be credited under his legal birth name to  avoid any legal gray area with credits/royalties.

#7310 OU818

OU818

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-May 14

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:24 AM

I had to boot up a computer with no battery to get my password to this site just to say:

I'm glad that even after 8 years the drama does not stop.

#7311 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2444 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
  • Interests:got a k named chop

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:34 AM

Imagine seething this hard

#7312 SnkZato1 Ph.D.

SnkZato1 Ph.D.

Modtourniquet

• Party Members
  • 6248 posts
  • Joined 29-November 06
  • Interests:Ask me about prison.
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:49 AM

FWIW, Juan's wiki also lists the John Peter name. It might be a sign that he's minding his business and having his musical contributions be credited under his legal birth name to  avoid any legal gray area with credits/royalties.

Exactly.   We don't know how this was initiated.  

Could it be Petty Omar?   Sure, I firmly believe this was the reason a lot of his albums didn't have credits because he'd then have to acknowledge musicians he doesn't care for.

Could it be Juan wanting to just be distancing himself from Volta?  Maybe as well.  He seems to hold a lot of pride in his time in the band though..

Either way it seems really lousy one way or another.  I've said it before, but Omar and Juan were one of the most perfect duos in music and them not working together is a shame.

#7313 Andrewf

Andrewf

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 5178 posts
  • Joined 24-March 12

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:56 AM

Maybe omar forgot his name and went to Spanish wiki

#7314 revefbug

revefbug

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Joined 05-May 09

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:47 AM

Yeah I’m still not buying it, if it was literally any other band I’d take it at face value, however these guys are notorious for poor treatment of former members and their fondness for inside jokes.

Hopefully I’m wrong but the thing with passive aggressive moves is that they’re difficult to prove so we’ll probably never know.

#7315 kev821

kev821

Simulacrum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts
  • Joined 25-October 04

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:31 PM

You guys read too much into it, the order of musician listing doesn’t mean anything they simply choose an order and stuck wi the it for the release why spend time changing the order up on each record. The name thing is whatever too probably seems like Omar was the one who wanted musicians to list there entire name and maiden name and what not and the other musicians don’t really care. So they simple choose to use Juan’s real regular name for the release.

#7316 issordni

issordni

Custom Rank

• Members
  • 6770 posts
  • Joined 23-February 14
  • Interests:Friend of cats and foxes.

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:38 PM

It's easier not to change anything than it is to go back into the composition files and change something, trust. If I could send invoices for not changing stuff, I'd be laughing all the way to Tahiti.

#7317 A.N.Other

A.N.Other

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3108 posts
  • Joined 18-June 09

Posted 09 April 2021 - 12:46 PM

I just can't see it as a mere coincidence that on all the albums from Scabdates to Noctourniquet, Juan was listed near Cedric and Omar on the list of The Mars Volta Group members, and now on the reissues suddenly he is listed the last.

#7318 sigh

sigh

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 04-October 16

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:22 PM

"Why was Juan's name changed in the box set?"

"Juan who?"

#7319 sa007ak

sa007ak

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts
  • Joined 10-January 16

Posted 09 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

I just can't see it as a mere coincidence that on all the albums from Scabdates to Noctourniquet, Juan was listed near Cedric and Omar on the list of The Mars Volta Group members, and now on the reissues suddenly he is listed the last.

Could mean everything, and it could mean nothing. The likely answer lies somewhere between the black & white here.

#7320 broccoli bro

broccoli bro

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts
  • Joined 19-September 20

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

"Why was Juan's name changed in the box set?"

"Which juan‘s?"

23 user(s) are reading this topic

15 members, 5 guests, 1 anonymous users

revefbug, Bing (2), OU818, goliathsoctahedron, toa, greatbigyes, Fantym, fora_de_coma, roobster, Jevon, Beatristocrats, iMa(n)go, sigh, swan_song1977, gone, hui43210