IPB Style© Fisana

Please donate to gain access to The Bedlam, an ad-free version of the board and more!

Photo

Would you consider Omar to be a guitar virtuoso?Or is he just a lazy hack who knows nothing of theory?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Castillo

Castillo

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Joined 04-March 09

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

Personally I'd say he's a virtuoso in his own right. He's obviously not up there with Steve Vai or anything, but he's able to play relatively fast and compose good pieces of music. What do you think?

#2 The Soothsayer

The Soothsayer

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 06-January 08

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:12 PM

Fuck Steve Vai, I hate him.

#3 kersh2099

kersh2099

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts
  • Joined 05-December 04

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:18 PM

I really dont agree that playing fast = having skill on guitar.
I can play a couple vai songs (Im not that into him, just songs were easy examples of tracks I could learn to help my speed up my picking) and a fair few of my friends know quite a lot of his material. Composing songs of that nature isnt really a hard thing to do either.

Some TMV, while easier to get the hang of, is much harder (in my opinion) to compose. Asilos Magdelena is better than anything Ive heard that Steve Vai has done in both technique and composition.

Just my opinions obviously and like I said I havn't heard a ton of vai stuff, but I would rate omar leagues above him.

#4 Hard-tongue

Hard-tongue

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 02-March 05

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:19 PM

#5 nardo

nardo

Lord of the Links

• Dictator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6215 posts
  • Joined 21-July 03

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:52 PM

Have you even listened to his stuff with Zappa? You can't possibly hate the guy if you did.

#6 Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Jack Austin Gilbert 7

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1305 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:Music<br />Math<br />Women<br />
  • Facebook

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

Didn't Joe Satriani write that Coldplay song? What a fucking virtuoso

#7 seb18

seb18

Frances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1307 posts
  • Joined 26-April 08

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:49 PM

Omar is the new Beethoven?

#8 Mr. Tusks

Mr. Tusks

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Joined 13-February 08
  • Interests:Explosions and Coffee.

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

From a purely technical standpoint, which more often than not is how people are judged to be "virtuoso", Omar isn't a great guitarist.

#9 ZeMaster

ZeMaster

open the wound/let it pore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6625 posts
  • Joined 28-March 05

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Omar's just a person with ideas.

#10 sellafield

sellafield

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Joined 11-July 09

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

yeah he is a person how brings out his ideas and inspiration through the music. and he is doing it very good i think. but he isnt so very good in guitar playing. he also could write the things and stand on stage and doing it like a "regisseur" and the mars volta group are the actors. ;)

#11 anaerobiose

anaerobiose

Miranda

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Joined 05-June 08

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

I really don't know if he's a virtuoso or not__ Pat Metheny is one__ but I don't like him half as much.
What I do know is that he rocks like a motherfucker when he has a guitar in his hands. He rocks it fast, slow, with different grooves to it. He has an amazing sense of rythm on top of it all, and he even composes great songs__ wich surely helps in the execution\improvisation part.
If he's a great guitar player it's simply because of his kinship to "sound." (I'd take the live cygnus's he's been playing in the last couple of years as an example of that at least.) I mean, Satriani has more licks than Hendrix had; but Hendrix is the one who kicks his ass__ even in fourty year old tapes...

#12 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2384 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
  • Interests:got a k named chop

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

The only question you should ask yourself is does his playing invoke any feelings inside you????

#13 Athleticist

Athleticist

Boxcar Cadaver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2384 posts
  • Joined 26-October 03
  • Interests:got a k named chop

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:55 PM

yeah he is a person how brings out his ideas and inspiration through the music. and he is doing it very good i think. but he isnt so very good in guitar playing. he also could write the things and stand on stage and doing it like a "regisseur" and the mars volta group are the actors. ;)

#14 francesthemute

francesthemute

Baphomet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Joined 27-January 09

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Yes he is. A crazy composer that omar.

#15 deadeye

deadeye

Ouroboros

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2502 posts
  • Joined 07-April 05

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:29 PM

omar is not a virtuoso but he is fairly innovative and much more interesting a player than any shredder
fuck shredders

also omar can write like a motherfucker

#16 artuto

artuto

Eunuch Provocateur

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 13-July 09

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

man he is amazing he express very good es como un rompecabezas everything fits i couldnt say he es the best i dont believe anyone ies the best pero mas conocidos talves so thats one of the things that them usic scene in united states is mass media and i thing he is jut great rompieron con los esquemas and everything else and breaking with stereotypes no words for it hope people can digest their music thanks marsianos

#17 drunkship123

drunkship123

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:51 PM

He's a musician not a show off

#18 jessejoedotcom

jessejoedotcom

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 16-August 05

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:23 PM

There is a group of people that seem to think because you can play fast, or that you are trained, that you lack any emotion or feel for playing the guitar. These are usually people who are jealous that they can't play like that. People who will say Yngwie Malmsteen just "plays as fast as he can and isn't a real musician". This is simply not true. Yngwie is a composer as well as the fastest guitar player in history. That doesn't mean he lacks emotion or ideas in his music. Go see him in concert and he will blow your mind. I often equate it to the movie Amadeus where the Emperor says to Mozart: "Your work is ingenious. It's quality work. And there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect." to which Mozart replies: "Which few did you have in mind, Majesty?".

Steve Vai is one of the most brilliant guitarists and musicians of this time. He often gets forgotten because he never played in a hugely popular band and instead chose to play his formative years learning from another musical genius, Frank Zappa. "For the Love Of God" is one of the most beautiful and emotional pieces of electric guitar ever written. It is the pinnacle of music and feeling through an electric guitar IMO.

Of course, there are technical players who are boring as fuck. I always give Dream Theater as an example. Petrucci can play Flight of the Bumblebee to perfection in concert, but would it move you musically? Probably not. Miss a note dude, put some feeling into it.

Now to Omar, Omar is something different. If you asked my opinion I wouldn't put him anywhere near the guitar talents of these guys. Of course he isn't. But, Omar is a composer. He is one of the most creative musical minds I have ever heard. The ideas and detail and layers he puts into the music he creates is truly amazing. The emotion and moods in the solos on Cignus and Cassandra is something you can't simply write to sheet music, and play later. That is what Omar does best. Don't let this mean he isn't a good guitar player, he is. He plays very complicated pieces and has the dexterity and durability of performance that cannot be matched. Is he a virtuoso? No. Is he the guitar hero of this generation? I would say yes.

Written from the perspective of a guitarist, of course. :)

#19 drunkship123

drunkship123

Ilyena

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Joined 16-January 07

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

Satriani is a very emotional player and can shred fast as hell. he's one of the better guitar players out there, especially in the realm of shredders. Petrucci is also great (listen to Suspended Animation if you don't believe me, i love that album).

omar just has a certain way of expressing emotions and feelings through his music. Thats why i think music theory actually limits musical talent. You end up over analysing everything and it losing any feeling/enjoyment. For example my brother is a great sax player and has been playing for over 10 years now. I started playing piano when i was 6 but lost interest around 11 years old. I've unfortuantely totally forgotten how to play it now and i regret that. anyways i ended up picking up his acoustic guitar. A few years and weekly lessons later, i've learned how to play guitar pretty well. By that time i can have music discussions with my brother who took many, many music classes in college and learned from an excelent instructor who incorporated music theory into everything. He can't recognize pitches very well; i can recognize almost any pitch. I associate keys and scales with feelings and colors and life experiences, like "i listened to this song when my girlfriend broke up with me" or something. He has only learned music theory from the beginning; i learned some but i also learned pitches and scales very much on my own. Like for me, D minor is the saddest sounding key. I immediately know something is in D minor because the second it starts, there is an atmosphere if sadness that i feel in the song. I recall personal sad experiences and i know for a fact that this is D minor. Now he will try to pick certain things apart in it an over analyse and lose the personal aspect of the music, which i feel limits the ability to recognize the key of the song. Another thing is he'll hear something like a weird chord progression and go "how the hell does that work! it makes no theorhetical sense..." while it makes perfect sense to me because i get the emotion behind it and why this note was added to give it that bizzare, eerie feeling.

Thats what i belive separates omar apart from many other musicians, he gets the feeling and emotions and releases them within the music, while other musicians will follow a theorhetical structure and stick to what they learned because it "makes sense".

#20 chacho

chacho

Televator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 238 posts
  • Joined 05-May 08

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

No one alive can even come close to Omar composing skills so in my opinion he is even more of a virtuoso than Satriani or Vai or any of them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users